How to make your case behave?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I have a Crossrock case that doesn't like to stay with the lid propped open. I tried to train it, (Sit. Stay.), but that didn't seem to work. My dogs were easier to train.

Any thoughts on how to make it behave? I don't really leave the case open generally, but hate when the lid wants to slam shut while I'm taking a ukulele out or putting a ukulele in to the case. I try to leave my hand blocking the lid, but would rather not take chances.

If all else fails, I might just buy a new case. Any suggestions? I've looked at older threads on cases, but some of the cases don't seem to be made anymore, and there are probably newer ones now, too.

Are Ameritage cases worth the price? Who sells them?

I don't have an answer, but I would warn that when the case falls closed like that there is a chance that you will later glance at it that way and just pick it up without thinking, dumping your ukulele on the floor. I know from experience.

I don't have an answer, but I would warn that when the case falls closed like that there is a chance that you will later glance at it that way and just pick it up without thinking, dumping your ukulele on the floor. I know from experience.

Good point. Another reason to think about upgrading the case.

Maybe open the lid as far as it wants to go then gently push it open a little bit more. You don't want to break the hinges but maybe a little gentle hyperextension from its current position will persuade it to open a little farther so it stays open.

It could be the hinges. But it could also be the strap limiter at the fat end of the case that restricts the opening just a bit much. Not sure if it could be stretched. But it could be cut (middle) and re-sewn so it is longer and the case opens farther, hopefully resolving the issue.

I have seen people use a thin wooden dowel or chopstick to prop a case open if needed.

A couple of things:
Check the little stumpy legs on the bottom of the case...………….making sure they are all intact. Once in a while one of the little pieces falls off. If they are ok, get a couple of small rubber washers from your hardware store and glue them on the front most legs so the case tilts slightly backward when on a flat solid surface. This should keep it open.
Armeritage are great cases, though they are very heavy and very expensive. For me, they are for that very special uke that travels a lot or gets jousted about frequently. Other well built solid cases, many of which are under $100 should do the job (and also stay open!).

I don't even like to keep any of my cases open. What's the purpose? Unlatch, open case, remove instrument, close case. Open case, replace instrument, close case, latch. Keep it Simple.

bratsche

Wow. I thought I was unique in this problem. My KoAloha LN soprano came with a Crossrock case that does the exact same thing. I either have to move fast, or push back more on the lid to keep it open. I also yell at mine, but not Sit & Stay. More like .....Stay Open You Little #*%#. Mine is a special issue KoAloha from 2017 and for some reason, I think the special issues were sold with the Crossrock cases. It’s a cool red tweed with three latches and it does fit perfectly, so I haven’t ditched it yet.

It could be the hinges. But it could also be the strap limiter at the fat end of the case that restricts the opening just a bit much. Not sure if it could be stretched. But it could be cut (middle) and re-sewn so it is longer and the case opens farther, hopefully resolving the issue.

This is a decent solution. If the hinges are anything like most guitar cases, the top just folds flat, (well almost), when the retaining strap breaks loose from the case. Been there done that. Better than buying a new case.

Edit added: After looking at a few of my uke cases, it appears that a stop is built into the hinges, as opposed to my old guitar cases. You can probably check to see if the strap or the hinge stop is causing it not to open enough. If it is the strap, you will see a gap and the hinge could open more. If it is the top and bottom hinge pieces that are touching in the back, that would require some sort of mod.

Another solution is to get a lid support, but you have to make sure it clears the ukulele when it folds.

John

Last edited:
I don't even like to keep any of my cases open. What's the purpose? Unlatch, open case, remove instrument, close case. Open case, replace instrument, close case, latch. Keep it Simple.

bratsche

I don't generally keep it open, but don't want the lid to hit the ukulele as I take it out or put it in. I try to keep my hand holding the case open, but would prefer to not have to hope that I don't forget to do that sometime. I also have a doberman who finds it necessary to run by the case when he hears me opening or closing it. I suspect he's doing a little celebration that the ukulele is going to be put away. He doesn't touch the case or ukulele, (as I said, my dogs are easier to train than the case), but a doberman stomping by might encourage the case to close, from the vibrations. (He had various problems when I adopted him, including injuries to his feet from abuse, so his gait isn't normal. But we have him healthy and happy now, more importantly.)

Some interesting suggestions on how to cope with the misbehaving case. Thanks for any and all ideas.

Don't leave it in the case at home, hang it on the wall away from the dog. Make it a focal point of the room where you sit and enjoy life.
If humidity is an issue, instead of forking out for a new case, arrange for a nice humidified wall cabinet in the room.

I think the wall cabinet would cost more than a case? But making the current case workable is the best option.

Ukuleles here stay in their cases except when being played. You maybe never had a dog who can fling slobber across the room. :D

Just earlier today, I was looking at damage to a cabinet from when a Great Dane with epilepsy was having a seizure next to it, and things like that are another reason to keep things tucked safely away. Someone has to adopt the special needs dogs, even if there are ukuleles around. :)

I have a Crossrock case that doesn't like to stay with the lid propped open. I tried to train it, (Sit. Stay.), but that didn't seem to work. My dogs were easier to train.

Any thoughts on how to make it behave? I don't really leave the case open generally, but hate when the lid wants to slam shut while I'm taking a ukulele out or putting a ukulele in to the case. I try to leave my hand blocking the lid, but would rather not take chances.

If all else fails, I might just buy a new case. Any suggestions? I've looked at older threads on cases, but some of the cases don't seem to be made anymore, and there are probably newer ones now, too.

Are Ameritage cases worth the price? Who sells them?

Did that case EVER stay open? If the hinges have become damaged, maybe they can be replaced? Otherwise I'd just replace the case. Getting a humidified cabinet seems like overkill. A uke in a working case on a stand is much more accessible, without taking up the extra living space a cabinet would.

Did that case EVER stay open? If the hinges have become damaged, maybe they can be replaced? Otherwise I'd just replace the case. Getting a humidified cabinet seems like overkill. A uke in a working case on a stand is much more accessible, without taking up the extra living space a cabinet would.

No, the case never stayed open. It sounds like Rafter Girl had the same problem?

If I decide to replace the case, what suggestions do people have? Concert size, if that matters.

For now, I'll work on some of the other suggestions, to see if I can make this one more workable.

I certainly have never had a dog, mostly because I lived in rented houses and like to take long road trips. Dogs are not allowed in Australian national parks or in many tourist parks, and it costs in emotion and money to board them out. Many of my guitars and ukuleles are sitting around the living room ready to play as I choose. I keep my pots and pans and stuff on the bench or on a clean patch on the floor so I can easily find them. I can also have pot plants and a nice garden. I like to be friends with the native animals like the birds and Quendas (AKA Southern Brown bandicoot) and draw a line at mice and rats.
Some of my friends who own big dogs use a doggy door across the doorway to keep the dogs out of the living room. Its like a little fence or gate. Maybe that is an option.
Here I can buy a nice cabinet from Ikea for the same price as a cheap ukulele case, so maybe it would pay to have a look at what is available locally, you only need space for your ukulele of the day.
For your case, a length of thin wood may fit nicely along side the neck and be available to grab as soon as you open the case. Something like a wooden 12" ruler used by school children. Here they are cheap and easy to find. I don't think it is worth getting another case or a cabinet if you can use a wooden ruler or similar to keep you case open.

Different life styles, but enjoyment of ukulele unites us. :)
Music does bring people together.

Off topic, but thank you for taking in those large special needs dogs!You must be a very special dog person. It is a lifestyle. I train dogs professionally and one of my favorite clients is a very sporting Great Dane. It is hard for him to drink water due to a cancerous tumor removal and subsequent radiation treatment. The water foams and goes everywhere. I love him, so glad he is healthy 3 years later, but I am fairly glad I do not live with him every day. Big props!

I've had the same issue with an Oahu case I bought new in 2014. Not sure they've changed the design since, as the case is overall very high quality and one I'd otherwise recommend. Sadly, the lid closed while I was attempting to remove one of my ukes, and it ended up chipping the lower bout edge. :wallbash: I was so disappointed, and consequently removed the retaining straps. Problem solved, but now have to be mindful not to damage the hinges.

Last edited:
I have a guitar case that will not stay open, seemingly because the retaining strap is too short. Makes it tricky and hazardous to remove and return the guitar. I finally just got in the habit of sticking a book or something underneath the case to tilt it backward far enough that the lid stays open.

No, the case never stayed open. It sounds like Rafter Girl had the same problem?

If I decide to replace the case, what suggestions do people have? Concert size, if that matters.

For now, I'll work on some of the other suggestions, to see if I can make this one more workable.
I think it’s a design fluke with the Crossrock cases. They don’t open as far or as easily as other cases. I’ll take a look at the retaining strap on mine to see if that’s contributing to the problem.

Crossrock cases are not all of consistent builds. I have two and they have different fitting interiors. The straps that limit the amount the top can open are two different lengths. (Well actually attached at different points in the case.) One is fine and lets the lid stay open. The other is too short and the lid stands almost straight up at 90° when fully opend. A strong sneeze can cause it to fall closed.

The feet are molded as part of the lower outer shell. They are not an added part.

Generally, I stick my foot under the edge closest to me to tilt the whole case back so the top won't close on it's own. It's not an elegant solution, but it works. If on a table, I will put something like a song book under the edge.

Those metal latches can leave a big ding in the surface of your uke. And the metal around the edge can scratch if you're not careful. I want both hands to carefully place my uke in the case.

So yeah, prop it open or tilt it back, or lengthen the strap a little.

Last edited:
Top Bottom