cutting inlays

Fortunately for us, most people value hand-crafted over machine-made instruments.
Lutherie is a craft that is steeped in tradition, so it is to be expected that any technological changes will be resisted, or at least, adopted very slowly. Hot hide glues versus aliphatic resins, the reluctance of some to use bolt on necks, and the bias against non-traditional high tech plastic instruments are lingering examples of this. Hand skills should be appreciated and applauded, but in the end this will probably be decided by the economics of man hours versus machine minutes ….. the industrial revolution is endless and without mercy. No one who has had successful microscopic robotic nerve surgery rues the fact that the surgeon used machines to accomplish his task, so I doubt that the average ukulele buyer will lose too much sleep over how the inlays were accomplished.
Sadly, even for traditional craftsmen, time is money.

The "average ukulele player" never was or will be the audience for handmade instruments because they are typically just too damn expensive. Not that they are necessarily better than production ukes, and truth be told in many cases way inferior to those, but there will remain for some time to come those buyers to whom "handmade" is important and they appreciate that as much of the building is done by hand by the builder as possible. Of course the "handmade aspect" can be taken to extremes, which I can appreciate but probably won't go there. I remember a GAL article, probably from the 80's, about a builder behind the old Iron Curtain that made his own geared tuners. I find that extremely admirable, but I know I'm not going there. I will continue do my own modest inlays by hand. I still try to have as much handmade art and craft in my life, such as the dishes we eat off of, as possible. That too is difficult to afford.

Well said Bob.
I guess for me it is why do you build ukuleles? It needs to be satisfying and fulfilling in some way. If it is for profit you will have to find a niche to fill. I can say I have never made much money building ukes but it has opened up so many other adventures for me that I would have never known without doing it. If you build with love and skill they will all find a home. For me it is the process. From finding the wood to learning new ways of working with it. The satisfaction is in the journey.

Kekani- When you get that Mark IV, do a report back. I have all the lighter aluminum ones and am curious if the frame is sturdier. I tried the birdcage one, luckily when they were cheaper, and just did not like it at all. Hope you're doing great over there.--Bob

Used the new saw for a bit. Not really a fair review since both are different sizes and features, but here goes:

Knew Concepts Aluminum 3" vs MKIV 5" swivel.

The MKIV is heavier, but not in a bad way for me. Seems the weight allows a more stable cut. If I were cutting all day, I'd probably use the lighter one, maybe.

I can't cut straight on like I can with the 3", so it took a little getting used to coming in at an angle. Not an issue anymore.

Oddly, I already used the swivel feature. I was concerned about the stability of the swivel feature. Again, a non-issue. Straight or swiveled, cut is the same, albeit with a different view.

The frame does seem stiffer, and more solid. I know the key to the Knew Concepts is the weight, or lack of, but I like the new one.

If I were buying only one, the MKIV 5" swivel would be it. I'm not sure I'd buy it if I already had a full quiver of the aluminum ones, which I think are already miles stiffer than normal jeweler's saws. If you wanted to feel one, just add some weight to your current one. It'll be close enough that if it works, then MAYBE it'll be worth getting it for the almost unmeasurable stiffness increase.

Last edited:
I've had my eye on a Knew Concepts saw for years. ONe day!

I like my Knew Concepts saws and use all the sizes. If I have any issues with them, it's that the system used to hold the blade is a little iffy, especially on the handle end. I've changed and reworked the set screw clamping end a number of times and still the blade occasionally slips out on me. I can't decide whether the knurled knobs or the original butterfly knobs are better and I sometimes switch them out, just because. I've thought of drilling out the handle housing end and rethreading it to a larger size screw, maybe an Allen head one, but I've ruined many tools in my time trying to improve them. It' s not really that big of any issue. Great saws!

Used the new saw for a bit. Not really a fair review since both are different sizes and features, but here goes:

Knew Concepts Aluminum 3" vs MKIV 5" swivel.

The MKIV is heavier, but not in a bad way for me. Seems the weight allows a more stable cut. If I were cutting all day, I'd probably use the lighter one, maybe.

I can't cut straight on like I can with the 3", so it took a little getting used to coming in at an angle. Not an issue anymore.

Oddly, I already used the swivel feature. I was concerned about the stability of the swivel feature. Again, a non-issue. Straight or swiveled, cut is the same, albeit with a different view.

The frame does seem stiffer, and more solid. I know the key to the Knew Concepts is the weight, or lack of, but I like the new one.

If I were buying only one, the MKIV 5" swivel would be it. I'm not sure I'd buy it if I already had a full quiver of the aluminum ones, which I think are already miles stiffer than normal jeweler's saws. If you wanted to feel one, just add some weight to your current one. It'll be close enough that if it works, then MAYBE it'll be worth getting it for the almost unmeasurable stiffness increase.

I couldn't get used to the swivels in my KC saws nor could I see the advantage of them so I super glued them stationary! ;)

Top Bottom