Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UAS confusion and the benefit of a "cooling off" period.

I think we are looking for a particular type of uke when we have our UAS - for me, it stopped when I got my long neck concert ukes, one solid acacia, the other solid mahogany - I no longer want any more, & have moved on......

....to harmonicas!
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I am a champion ditherer. I can spend so many months dithering about whether to buy a uke that eventually my poor husband tells me to just go ahead and buy it already. Heh heh heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I feel like I have a form of UAS where I spend an inordinate amount of time looking at ukuleles to buy. But I do have one thing going for me. First, it takes me a month to buy something, anything.
    My thinking is, "He who hesitates is lost." If I see something good in the Marketplace or Reverb, I'm afraid it will be gone if I don't act right away.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    My thinking is, "He who hesitates is lost." If I see something good in the Marketplace or Reverb, I'm afraid it will be gone if I don't act right away.
    I figure there is another one right around the corner.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

"He who hesitates is lost" is the reasoning behind one of my pure impulse buys. It also helped that I was sitting on a nice PayPal balance from junk that I sold. (Mostly books and CDs.) It turned out well because it was a spruce top which I didn't have, it was beautiful and it has a wonderful, bright sound. I still have it today and it would be tough to let it go.

I'm still not sure of the reason(s) behind my UAS. I'm not looking for a holy grail. I'm very happy with the sound and the looks of the ukes I have. While it would be nice, I don't aspire to one day own a "K brand" or other high dollar professional level uke. (I can suck on much cheaper ukes! ) I don't need to own one of every size or every kind of wood or multiple ukes for multiple tunings. My buying history is very modest compared to a lot of people here. I've purchased 7 ukes (2 of which I regret buying) and sold 3 leaving me with my current 4. My lust for a reso has already come and gone. I would have regretted it if I had bought it. My interest in a true soprano is starting to fall by the wayside. I already own a solid mahogany long-neck soprano and in browsing around for sopranos, there's not really anything out there that is so different that I would want it just because it has a soprano scale. Maybe I still want the uke I've had my eye on for some time because it is unique in and of itself and it's different than what I already have. I've been moving on this one like a glacier. It's already been months and it's likely to be several more. I've been kind of setting it up in my mind that I may use that uke as an option for some kind of self reward or celebration of some kind somewhere down the road. In the mean time, I've been enjoying grabbing a different uke among my 4 for each of my playing sessions so that each get equal playing time. (And knock on wood that I've been able to avoid recent impulse buys I would have regretted.)
    Last edited by mikelz777; 06-05-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Do you believe you must own everything that is good or take advantage of every good deal? What is the worst that can happen if something good gets away?

This is part of what fuels my UAS. There were a few that got away either because they're no longer manufactured or I waited too long on eBay or Reverb. One of those a Rick Turner Compass Rose now has me looking daily for a similar one - cedar topped (mahogany would be nice too). And yes I know about the Spruce top one on the flea market. That one wasn't the one for me.

I think I need to remind myself, it's ok either way. Okay if I get the Ukulele and okay if not. And I need to practice that song from Frozen, "Let it Go.'
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors

4 Sale: Pineapple - MP Cali, Tenor: Washburn, Luna Tattoo

I stumbled upon this song recently and thought it went well with UAS, at least in some cases for me.

After You Get What You Want (You Don't Want It)
    https://www.doctoruke.com/afteryougetwhatyouwant.pdf

-Brett

Quote Originally Posted by bretterb View Post
    I stumbled upon this song recently and thought it went well with UAS, at least in some cases for me.

-Brett
    There's a lot of truth in that song. Sometimes wanting and chasing the object is more exciting than obtaining the object. I actually play and sing this song from time to time. I first heard it on an episode of "Boardwalk Empire" several years ago and worked up a song sheet for it because I liked it so much. It's very well suited for the ukulele.
    Last edited by mikelz777; 06-06-2019 at 06:52 AM.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Quote Originally Posted by bretterb View Post

-Brett
    Yes, good one, here's a video of this tune on a banjo uke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc-KORZoOqQ
    John

Thread Information