Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan vs Ladder Bracing Tests with Worth Browns and Custom Set-Is there a difference?

Hi Jerry,
    I was sceptical but am a convert. In the right space it is like listening to yourself play through headphones.

cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Henneberry View Post
    Hi Jerry,
    I was sceptical but am a convert. In the right space it is like listening to yourself play through headphones.

cheers

Paul
    I whole heartily agree. Until someone has actually owned an instrument with a side sound port and played it they dont have a clue to the difference it makes. Beautiful work by the way Paul, if Hollis is impressed that speaks volumes.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Hi,
    this is Paul who made the ukes. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that they are so appreciated and Austin I'm totally happy for you to use the images on my blog.
    I have made 37 ukes - the first 24 were all long neck sopranos and now 13 of these pear shaped tenors. The pear shape came about from a desire to make some floating bridge ukes. Really it all started with the bit of chrome bling of the tail piece. A bit of reading over at the luthiers forum suggested that floating bridge ukes are a bit mute probably due to the low down force of 4 nylon strings. I took this as a challenge and came up with a bunch of features to try and make a loud floating bridge tenor uke. This included a 2.5 degree neck angle (19mm bridge), 15 foot radius on the sound board, and 18" scale on a tenor and some out there bracing patterns. The body shape was part of the solution in that by taking area from the front bouts and adding it onto the waist I would increase the free vibrating area around the bridge. That batch included 2 floating bridge ukes and 2 fixed bridge ukes as a reference. They turned out well but the floating bridge ones ended up sounding 10% down the road to being banjos. I did another batch of two floaters and two fixed with some refinements to drag them back to sounding more like ukes but they still sounded like banjos. All of the fixed bridge ones sounded fine. I think if I had stuck with the development and reduced the neck angle and bridge height a bit I might have got there in the end. But the fixed bridge ones of both batches sounded really good so I decided to concentrate on developing them instead.
    The previous batch were all cocobolo and mahogany which were bright and clear. Going over to all mahogany with this batch was an attempt to mellow the sound a bit. It worked nicely but now I realise that my personal preference is for a bit of sparkle in the voicing. The X braced versions of this batch landed just where I wanted. Early on in my uke making adventure I started making a carbon fibre/ spruce laminated braces which allowed me to make smaller braces which testing showed were just as stiff as normal sized solid spruce braces but a lot smaller. I like to think this contributes to the sound but that is probably just me self justifying the extra work involved.
    For Hollis and Kevin (Kinnard Ukes- who suggested lighter bracing) I did make a sound sample comparing strings on identical ukes and identical strings with different bracing systems. It was my first attempt at a sound sample and I used a Blue Yeti mic straight into my laptop and Audacity to edit it together. I cant hear as much difference on the recording as I can in real life but that might be down to the cheap ear buds I am listening to it with. If anybody is interested I could make it available. It goes for about 4 1/2 minutes and is about 10 meg. I've loaded pics in the past over at the luthiers forum but never sound samples. If there is any interest I'll need some tips about where to upload it. If I can remember how to do it here are some pictures of the floating bridge ukes I did and the gizzards of this batch. OK, not sure why the middle pic is upside down on the preview. It is fine on my computer. You can turn your screen upside down at your end.

cheers

PaulAttachment 118810Attachment 118811Attachment 118812
    Hi Paul, I'm in Perth, WA as well so it's amazing to find out about you.

I'd be interested in having a closer look at your uke's at some stage. They look amazing and by the sounds of it how they play gets just as much detail!
    Soprano: Maui Music Pre-fire SK (Koa), Ohana SK-38 (Mahogany)
    Concert: Barron River (Curly Maple)
    Tenor: Pono PKT-2E (Koa)

Hi Raffrox,

If you fancy a drive down to Jarrahdale you would be welcome to visit my workshop. DM me if you feel like a drive . I'm just getting ready to launch another raffle for one of these ukes. I will be getting to the Navy Club, SUFFA, Sullivan Hall and Rabble if you are from south of the Swan.
    cheers
    Paul

Hi Raffrox,

If you fancy a drive down to Jarrahdale you would be welcome to visit my workshop. DM me if you feel like a drive . I'm just getting ready to launch another raffle for one of these ukes. I will be getting to the Navy Club, SUFFA, Sullivan Hall and Rabble if you are from south of the Swan.
    cheers
    Paul
    My Mum grew up in Jarrahdale but haven't been there for a lithe while. It would be great to see your workshop so if I'm heading that way I'll get in touch!

Hollis let me know about SUFFA a while back so might be time for me to take a look. What date are you looking to be at SUFFA?

Quote Originally Posted by raffrox View Post
    My Mum grew up in Jarrahdale but haven't been there for a lithe while. It would be great to see your workshop so if I'm heading that way I'll get in touch!

Hollis let me know about SUFFA a while back so might be time for me to take a look. What date are you looking to be at SUFFA?
    I’m back in Perth on the 18th July and will attend SUFFA for the next 4 Saturdays.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

Quote Originally Posted by hollisdwyer View Post
    I’m back in Perth on the 18th July and will attend SUFFA for the next 4 Saturdays.
    It might be time for me to finally get there in the next few weeks I think

Quote Originally Posted by raffrox View Post
    It might be time for me to finally get there in the next few weeks I think
    Bring your Barron River Uke when you do. I’d love to see that.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

Quote Originally Posted by hollisdwyer View Post
    Bring your Barron River Uke when you do. I’d love to see that.
    Sounds great. I'll bring it along. I'd be keen to see your Barron River as well or basically any of your uke's. Quite the collection!

Please forgive me if you covered this earlier, but can you provide us with a summary of your observations especially about same strings/different bracing patterns? Thanks!

Karl

Thread Information