convert 6 strings tenor to normal tenor

papafreeman

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question for they who have a little bit knowledge about lutherie : except the head, are th 6 strings tenor built really different than the normal tenors ? Can a 6 strings tenor also good sound with a normal 4 strings tuning ?
I thought maybe beacause of the pressure of the to additional strings the 6 strings has to be thicker or something and then maybe can not sound so good thn normal tenors

I don't really know the answer, but if you already have this instrument, why don't you take off the extra two strings and see how it sounds?

I have converted 4 strings to 6 before but have not gone the other way. I was curious to see if the top would cave. It didn't. It sounds really good. I often use it for performing. Had to install a new nut. and add a couple tuners to the headstock. I used Pegheads for the extra two strings as they don't take up much space. It was a simple matter to whittle plugs for the inside strings on the bridge then with a long drill bit redrill for 6 string spacing. But that isn't what you are asking. You will have weird spacing if you don't redo the nut and bridge holes. you could fill the nut slots with bone dust and CA. Also you will likely be a little over-braced as you surmised but it may not be objectionable. Why the take off the octave pair strings and see if it sounds ok.

Thank you for your answer.
No I did nt have anyone, but there is one on a website that i would like to buy if it was the same one in 4 strings. So i am thinking about it. For the holes it should nt be to complicated. I didn t think about the spaces problem.

If I understand correctly, you are thinking about buying a rare, hand-made in Hawaii by Ron Yasuda 6-string 'ukulele in order to convert it to a 4-string. Don't do it.

Keep looking. Some 4-string 'ukulele will eventually come along that appeals to you.

Alternatively, listen to some videos of 6-string 'ukuleles. You may decide that you enjoy the richness of the sound, and will purchase this one to keep it as a 6-string.

Peter Moss compares a 4-string ‘ukulele to a 6-string ‘ukulele
https://youtu.be/HsjTyIHc-1w

Peter Moss Ukulele - Only have Eyes for you - 6-string 'ukulele
https://youtu.be/iJt3m8gmP6E

Ukulele Mania Demo; Kamaka White Label Vintage 6-String "Liliu" Curly Koa Tenor 'Ukulele #945
https://youtu.be/ILaBGjiK2PU

Last edited:
I find that my six-string is heavier and more solidly built than my regular tenor, but it is koa whereas the other is mahogany. Going to six string is a big step up in sound, which is reflected in their generally higher price. I don't understand the reason for downgrading and also devaluing such a uke.

6-strings usually have the G and/or C courses set in octaves, with one string an octave higher than the other. This gives it a jangly sound (somewhat like the difference between a 6-string and 12-string guitar). So I would imagine a 6-string with a G and C string removed would sound OK. I just don't know if fretting it would feel strange because of the uneven string spacing.

Top Bottom