Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sales Tax on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    Looking up the sales tax for a given destination is pretty easy in the computerized era, and it's been necessary for ages for in-state sales. This is definitely an area where ebooks are better than dead trees!

--Rob
    I agree that electronic data makes it easier, to a point. Recently Illinois has added local sales tax to online sales without a physical presence. Not sure what national databases exist and maintaining currency of that data when local initiatives are in the mix.

John

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Regardless, Iím not pleased about having to pay sales tax on a used item; a second taxation.
    This seems wrong. I get retailers who set up online stores on eBay. But it seems wrong philosophically for two private individuals to collect and remit sales tax on used goods. Iím not saying youíre wrong. Iím saying it seems wrong. I agree with you about not being pleased.

Check your state laws. In Tennessee, if I buy something from out-of-state and the seller does not charge sales tax, I am supposed to voluntarily declare it and pay a use tax.
    https://www.tn.gov/revenue/taxes/consumer-use-tax.html

Quote Originally Posted by Futurethink View Post
    Check your state laws. In Tennessee, if I buy something from out-of-state and the seller does not charge sales tax, I am supposed to voluntarily declare it and pay a use tax.
    https://www.tn.gov/revenue/taxes/consumer-use-tax.html
    While I think that may also be true I thought our state law stated that non-retailers defined as someone who makes less than 3 transactions per year and the buyers did not have to mess with sales or use tax. Who knows what the laws are now. My point is it seems wrong and overly taxing (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Lacole View Post
    It could be that some merchants include the tax in their list price.
    This was a private sale from CA, and it was listed as a separate charge from eBay.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information