Season 382 Connections

A connection to ‘Bye Bye Baby’ by the 4 Seasons: ‘Four Seasons in One Day’ by Crowded House.

Evening lovely Seasonistas across the globe. I have caught up with the Season, and we now have 57 amazing, and so varied, songs on the playlist. Thanks all so much for the effort you put in week in week out.
thank YOU for such a super theme!

another homemade-y from me, linking to caz and del's references to "eden"

"fallen man (kicked out of eden)"

on the guitalele, hope that is ok

Ryan doing "Born on a horse" gave me the opening to try another song off the new Jim Lauderdale CD. This is the opening track.

So far, TCK, BEV, Wim and Del have all covered Tainted Love.
I had Soft Cell’s version on 12 “ single which morphs into “Where Did Our Love Go?”
“Where Did Our Love Go?” was a hit for The Supremes in 1964.
The same year that Roald Dahl’s book “Charlie And The Chocolate Factory” was published.
A real Chocolate factory was founded in Birmingham by John Cadbury, who was a Quaker.
Another name for The Quakers is the Society of Friends.
Friends are people who are not family but are very close to you.
“Don’t Stand So Close To Me” is a song by Sting.
Sting was not christened Sting by his parents, but got the name during his jazz band playing days due to his habit of wearing a black and yellow striped jumper, like a bee.
Bees are lovely flying insects who make honey,
Which you can put on your toast.
Other things that go well on toast are jam, peanut butter or squashed banana.
Banana skins are often employed in cartoons and slapstick films for a hapless victim to slip on.
Slip ons are shoes without laces.
Lacewings are another type of insect whose larvae are very handy for keeping aphids off your roses.
“A Good Year For The Roses” is a ballad written by Jerry Chestnut and originally sung by George Jones,
Which brings us to Gloria Jones and....
Well, what are the chances!?!?

Tainted Love, I’ve actually done this before, I think it was a Soul season, might have been Sean (Ukuleledaddy) or Andy (Desert Pavement) season. Thought I’d go a bit Goth with this one....

The Igorettes had a big hit with this song in the USSR in the 1960's They were a Polish trio
who moved to Minsk from Warsaw because they were encouraged by the success of
Frenk Vaalioffski and his hit recording Bye Bye Belarus Baby.

Some might say the Igorettes song Be my Belarus Baby was heavily influenced by Frenk's song
but the truth of the matter is that both songs can be classified as falling under
"The Berlin Wall of Sound" that was popular at the time, and pioneered by Philippos Ghostly.

Last edited:
Season 382. Submission 2. "Long Long Time" (Written by Gary White and famously recorded by Linda Ronstadt [1970])

This song connects to the first song I brought this week which connected to your "Bye Bye Baby." In the first song I sang the narrator proclaimed, "I'm not in love." In this one the narrator says "I think I'm going to love you for a long, long time." What a difference a few days can make, I suppose. ;)

What a super week you've hosted, John! Thank you very much!

I think there are enough connections to make this a viable bring.

My first song, No More Blues, was an original by you brought to a season I hosted.
This is an original brought by me for your season.

How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live is a song on the playlist this week.
It's a song lamenting the goings on at the time. This is a song lamenting the times going on now.

I brought Gotta Serve Somebody - it was in Am.
This is in Am.

And I see that Ralf has a protest song, Backbiting, coming along.
This is sort of a protest song as well. Both songs also reference lies and dishonesty.

paoriginal - Sheesh - over 4 minutes - I do go on....

Last edited:
What an awesome idea for a Season! Hoping to get an entry in and looking forward to checking out the vids submitted thus far! Happy strums, Seasonistas!

wee ginga yin did bye bye blackbird
notanotherlinda did paint it black
erivel did black diamond
mezcalero did keep on the sunny side

This is "Little Black Bird" by EmiSunshine. She wrote it when she was 9 years old; she is 14 now, I think. She doesn't perform it the same as her original version anymore, she changed it. I changed it, too. If you've never heard of her, you might want to check her out. She likes to use a resonator uke.

I loved the convolutions this week.Here's an original dedicated to our host-I amused myself doing this on a sunny Saturday Sydney morn. "John of the North and the Convolution Blues". In open D.

John of the North was an honest man
His heart was good and true
But he suffered hard
and he suffered deep
from the convolution blues

He connected the poems of Ancient Rome
With the temperature that pastry bakes
And he connected the lives of martyrs and saints
With the sound a whirligig makes

John’s mother said “Now Johnny
You know I despair for you
Whatever makes you want to wear
A haiku for a shoe

But John he connected footwear
To Japanese regret
A three lined shoe
The colour of blue
Was his only pet

Connections
Shallow and deep
Connections
The heart will beat

John of the North was a music man
His castle built of notes
Beatles in the mortar
Stones buried in the moat

He once found an E minor seven
On a farm in John O’Groats
But it took til he hit Land’s End
Where a G chord tailor lined his coat

John of the North was an honest man
His heart was good and true
But he suffered hard
and he suffered deep
from the convolution blues

Connections
Shallow and deep
Connections
The heart will beat

Last edited:
a line from the biffy clyro song "born on a horse" that ryan brought - "i've never had a lover who's my sister or my brother before" - immediately made me think of "we were falling in and out with lovers, looking out for others, our sisters and our brothers", a line from "chains of love" by erasure. even knowing from experience, how well nigh impossible erasure songs are to sing, i just had to give this a try anyway!

Steve (YorkSteve) played "Blitzkrieg Bop" earlier this week.
I don't need to tell any of you that Blitzkrieg was the military strategy used by Germany in WW2.
In the movie Animal House we learned that it most definitely was not over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
Kevin Bacon was in Animal House.

Wait... that's not right.

Animal House was a (is THE?) movie about college.

Ween never had much popular success in terms of the charts, but they were in heavy rotation on college radio stations.
After trying to comprehend all of the red yarn going from pin to pin across this season I think I also need what the narrator of this song is requesting.

This is from 1996's "12 Golden Country Greats", which came out the summer before I started college and got a gig as an overnight DJ at the campus radio station. I played this a lot, because from midnight to 4 am nobody cared what you put on, so one could play whatever one wanted.

For people still looking for connections, Gene and Dean Ween are, of course, Ramones style stage names (another connection to Blitzkrieg Bop), they have recorded songs and made records covering nearly every genre under the sun, and they are from eastern Pennsylvania. And on this album, Elvis' former backing vocal quartet, the Jordanaires, performed on a couple of tracks.

Our host took us all over the place, including a record made in 1964 by the Shirelles that Soft Cells version of Tainted Love morphs into...
So I was asking myself what else was made in 1964?
Amy Ray was, and she is playing here tomorrow. I will be out of town and once again will miss them. Never seen her live, LOVE this song.

Good morning you fine bunch of global musical ambassadors. I have caught up with all your contributions, we now have 72 wonderful songs on the playlist. We’re almost at the summit. Keep going. We can bring this baby home, I know we can :D

This will probably be my last for this season. Fairly straightforward connection this time (boo! hiss! I hear you cry). Birdseye did Chains of Love by Erasure.
Erasure features Andy Bell and Vince Clarke.
Vince Clarke was in Yazoo with Alison Moyet.
Alison Moyet released this Heyman/Young song, initially a hit for Kitty Lester, but now a hit for Ms Moyet in 1987.

Ps, I need to add, I must thank this lady, whose video of this song helped me work out the twiddly chord change half way through, though I did have to transpose it into a key I could sing. It’s a lovely version. I couldn’t have done it without Joyce :)
https://youtu.be/-L_w8N-bssY

Last edited:
Top Bottom