Season 382 Connections

My song is "It's All Over Now". This one was written by Bobby Womack, and performed by others including Ry Cooder and the Stones, who had a big hit with it. My version is more in the style of Ry Cooder, who gave it a bit of a reggae feel. The connection is this: Rick did Diddy Wah Diddy earlier in this Season. Ry Cooder also did that song on his Paradise & Lunch album, where Ry also did It's All Over Now. I'm battling a summer cold, so the singing might be off, but wanted to get one in anyway.

Don't know where I read it but a quote I have always loved is
Modern man tried to solve his problems by intelligence and logic
Whereas primitive man tries to solves his problems by dancing
and often with more success.

In the the song the ghost of you walks there is a line Blue Murder on the dance floor
and this provides me with a tenious link to Radio Sweethearts by Kate Rusby.
Couples that dance together get a second chance together.

The main connection here is TCK asking for it, but also it has Day in the title ;).
This is a U2 song called A Day Without Me.

Mine is a boringly straight forward connection

TCK brought ‘Bizzare Love Triangle’ by New Order, which was covered by Frente!, who released this song in 1992 (on ‘Marvin the Album’).

I explain the connection after the song.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the star of the show, Johnny Whitaker, was also the kid who played Jody in Family Affair. He was also in a Disney movie about a bird dog called The Biscuit Eater, and he played a troubled teen in an episode of CHiPs. He was one of those child stars who didn't handle the transition to adulthood very well. But eventually he got straight and became a drug counselor. I don't think he's in showbiz anymore. He sang the original version of this song.

Last edited:
Hello again, "John of the North". Some nifty middle-of-the-night uploading going on here. The connection here is really boring, as it is, again, through Rod Stewart (who has obviously covered an awful lot of songs, including this one of Todd Rundgren's.) The photos are of our garden, taken last year, I think, because all it's doing at the moment is raining and photo opportunities are few and far between. Actually, I have only very recently discovered Todd Rundgren, which is very remiss of me as he has been around forever, and I really like this song .....

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting John, and a big thanks to Alan Peschke for his sweet harmony additions! It’s been a lot of fun following the connections. My first point of connection with my song choice comes from the ThumbStrummer’s cover of a Sutherland Brothers song called sailing. Even though I had heard “Keep on the Sunny Side” before, it was not until I heard it in the movie “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” that I really started listening to it regularly after buying the soundtrack. Great movie and great soundtrack! The name of the group that performed that particular version is “The Whites” Paint it Black does not have the word white in it, but it was sung by a white man who sings like a black man. Speaking of Black, Johnny Cash who was known for his all black outfits, was married to June Carter, whose family originally made this song popular in the 1920’s. That’s all I have time for now John :)

val's wonderful vid for her cover of "can we still be friends" is full of gorgeous photos of her garden - one of which really looks like a hockney painting, or at the very least like a promising subject for one! which leads me to - "hockney in my garden"

For sotu 382.
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons connected to this Bob Dylan song via The Sopranos.
Frankie Valli actually appeared on the series I believe and certainly a couple of their songs and this Bob Dylan song are part of the series sound track.

Here's a Freddy Weller song I've been wanting to try for awhile now, and I'm going to try and keep it in my rotation. I love this song, but it took a lot of concentration to try it, it's one of those songs that never let's up on ya for a split second. The connection is "Alabama Chrome" that Rob did, from a line in that song, "In your hand the perfect stone".

Sheesh - just had a serious case of deja vu ....

I found the Etta James version of this song in The Sopranos rabbit hole also....

Last edited:
Ahoy everybody.
The song 'Bye Bye Baby' was first published in 1965 - as was Dylan's 'Bringing it all Back Home' which included one of mu favourite Dylan songs, 'Gates of Eden'

Ahoy and hello again.
My next connection is as follows. 'Bye Bye Baby' was, like 'Gates of Eden', first published in 1965.
In 2008 director Ethan Coen published a short story collection called 'Gates of Eden'. The Coen brothers directed the film 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?' in which the song 'Oh Death!' was performed by Ralph Stanley.
Here is my rendition of 'Oh Death!'

So, this was a hit for Rod Stewart and at first I thought I’d use the artist connection to Graham’s (Thumb Strummer’s) lovely cover of ‘Sailing’ earlier in the thread. But the reason I love this song isn’t down to Rod - it was the later cover by Everything But The Girl that did it for me, so I really wanted the connection to be to them. And then Caz appeared with his ‘Gates Of Eden’ cover to save me from having to come up with a fiendishly convoluted path to Everything But The Girl - ‘Eden’ was the name of their amazing debut album. Thanks Caz! :)

Evening lovely Seasonistas across the globe. I have caught up with the Season, and we now have 57 amazing, and so varied, songs on the playlist. Thanks all so much for the effort you put in week in week out.

Top Bottom