Season 382 Connections

So, my assumption is that we are intended to riff off each other right? I am going to wade into that for my next song, as it has a special place in my heart.
Might as well trot out this again as well... it is going to be that kind of week.
<TCK RULE>I was really young when I started to get deeply involved in finding ANYTHING that was not Chicago or The Eagles. Probably eleven. I was a chubby kid who didn’t have many friends and being brought up with constant music, that is what I turned to. Fortunately we had a Tower Records in my hometown (RIP), and let me connect to Juice Newton for a second and shout out the best college radio station ever, KFJC. Miserable kid under the covers listening to those sounds every night in my headphones when I was supposed to be asleep...music was my savior.
And my addiction.
Tower used to trot out the “imports” every Thursday, and I was a 12 year old kid there to spend what I had made tilling peoples yards (my dad gave me a rototiller for my 10th birthday-jerk) on whatever I could find in that pile. Punk was not really accessible to me yet (later I would be buying Exploited an Crass along with Desmond Dekker), but the electronic music coming from abroad was something I really liked. Vince Clark? Legend. Loved everything he put out....but I remember being after a particular record one day, as I had heard a song on the radio that I liked a lot.
Blue Monday.
Power, Corruption and Lies was such a huge record for me. I listened to it every minute of every day. The one friend I had....his mom asked me to not expose him to the “odd” music that I loved (I did anyway).
Connection would be to Ryan’s video. He played Joy Division, so the connection is both sad, and happy for me. We all know that these are the same band, minus Ian Curtis who hung himself and adding Gillian Gilbert who is keyboard amazing...and I liked Joy Division as well (my dad used to show off his subwoofer with “She’s Lost Control Again”), but man, New Order was such a part of making me feel...well, like a person, through a hard time. I love them so much even 30+ years later.
Anyway. Huge validation when Shellshock was in Pretty In Pink (duh...this is the band I was telling you about guys, and Mike’s mom...what now?) and in spite of being deeply entrenched in punk rock and the attitude that goes with it by the time I was 14, I smiled when everyone was listening to this song. </TCK RULE>

connecting the chrome of t rex's "chrome sitar", with the chrome of a homemade song for the season, "chrome ukulele"

So glad we have TREX here already, because the car crash and link to the greatest Northern Soul record ever is the best I know. Are you going to play it? This is a formal request...pretty sure I will do it as well but want to hear what you do with it...badly.

Here's a Richard Thompson.Connection is a "wedding" in John's Bye Bye song. Richard's wedding is a " blood wedding".I tried to work this out years ago on guitar and got nowhere.Since then someone has posted some nice chords which translate well to Baritone uke. Amped up also.
"The Ghost of you walks". There seems to be a failed relationship mini thread weaving around too.

This song was a big hit for Billie Jo Spears in 1975, her career song. The connection is to Flatbaroque's wonderful original, "Bye bye the blanket is unraveling". This song was not easy to pull off, and I had a better take somewhere in me, but kept this one.

John of the South composed a song and in it there was a line that said
Poems had become like a grocery list. I suppose it was talking about the
deterioration of a relationship, and the things that once used to delight and unite,
have now become dull and boring... Wine being turned into water.
So this song mentions a grocery bill and that is the connection,
but whereas John's song speaks about personal relationships this song talks
about the failure of society to care and tend for the individual, and economics
and hard times alienates the individual so he is unable to function in society.
The original was by Blind Alfred Reed and also covered by Ry Cooder

So glad we have TREX here already, because the car crash and link to the greatest Northern Soul record ever is the best I know. Are you going to play it? This is a formal request...pretty sure I will do it as well but want to hear what you do with it...badly.
tainted love? such a great song, the soft cell version is amazing, and as well as the gloria connection (for anyone who doesn't know, gloria jones was marc bolan's girlfriend, and she recorded the 1965 version of tainted love, so memorably covered by soft cell in 1981. another rather sweet connection is the fact marc almond of soft cell was a huge bolan fan, and changed the spelling of his name mark, to marc, in his honour) i did cover the song before but a long time ago and my version is pretty awful, so although i don't normally like to cover a song twice, i would love to give this gem another try, however i don't think i'm gonna be able to do another vid this week :(

Rob mentioned Ry Cooder. Earl Hines played piano on Ry’s Recording. Leon Redbone did this, too.

This is a song by US band The Postal Service.

How did I get here, well... Trent’s first entry this season was a song by Carl Smith, and as Trent points out,

Carl Smith was married to June Carter.
Get Carter was a famous British gangster film.
Get Carter ( the theme tune from the aforementioned film) was a track on the LP Dare by The Human League.
The Human League hailed from Sheffield.
Sheffield is renowned for its steel.
Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, as opposed to
Iron and Wine, which is not an alloy, but it is the stage name of singer/songwriter Sam Beam.
Sam Beam has covered this song by The Postal Service.

Wow. 19 songs already on the playlist. Great songs too, superb covers every one. Keep them coming. I will check back in tomorrow at some point.

Hi, John! Six degrees of separation plus here. I had already thought of two songs I would like to do this week and was waiting until a suitable connection came up. I found the connection through Rod Stewart ("Bye, Bye, Baby"), who recorded a song by this artist, Labi Siffre, on his 1995 compilation album, "Handbags and Gladrags". Played this on my newly acquired Pono 8-string tenor. I've been wanting one of these for ages and finally located what must have been the last model in the UK from Red Cow Music in York. It arrived with a slight "ding", but Steve, from RCM gave me a very generous discount. (Apologies ... I've just realised I've put Season 383 instead of 382!)

Last edited:
Rob did Bye Bye Blackbird so I'm connecting to the word black in a song title.

BEV already broke it down, and I can’t leave this one out there. When Marc Bolan died in the car crash in 1977, the woman driving was his girlfriend Gloria Jones. Turns out, Gloria made what I think is the best Northern Soul record EVER in 1965. Yes. Best one EVER. I said it. If you have not heard her version of Tainted Love please go do so...I know you all know the Soft Cell version.
Away we go

I have no idea how Jim White played this basically I used 3 inversions of Em with the odd Am thrown in.
It is not music it is experimental noise. with waves of words washing rhythmically on a metaphysical shore.
If you listen to it all you might get hit by some spray. Alabama Chrome by the way is silver Duct tape,
and at time it seems that is what we use to hold our lives together.
BEV Chrome Uke -> Alabama Chrome.

Connection? TCK brought the Synth-Pop! Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough - There has been some awesome songs this week in sheer quality so I had to bring my 'A' game. A little uke with some melodica... again.

Last edited:
This is a song by US band The Postal Service.

How did I get here, well... Trent’s first entry this season was a song by Carl Smith, and as Trent points out,

Carl Smith was married to June Carter.
Get Carter was a famous British gangster film.
Get Carter ( the theme tune from the aforementioned film) was a track on the LP Dare by The Human League.
The Human League hailed from Sheffield.
Sheffield is renowned for its steel.
Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, as opposed to
Iron and Wine, which is not an alloy, but it is the stage name of singer/songwriter Sam Beam.
Sam Beam has covered this song by The Postal Service.

Inspired by this.

Linda played I'm Not In Love by 10CC
That was on the Guardians of the Galaxy Soundtrack alongside Motown Hits Ain't No Mountain High Enough and I Want You Back
Motown was Founded by Berry Gordy
Berry Gordy? Chuck Berry
Chuck Berry was famously turned onto his signature song Johnny B Goode after his cousin Marvin held the phone up to a performance of it by one Marty McFly
Marty McFly was bullied by a guy called Biff
MON THE BIFF!
Ladies and gentleman I give you this song by Biffy Clyro.

Good morning all, well it’s morning here in deepest Yorkshire. We have, I think, 26 songs now by 14 Seasonistas, and everyone is fabulous. If anyone else wants to bring Tainted Love that’s great, it’s been a while since we’ve had a Season with a theme tune. Keep those connections coming anyway, especially the convoluted ones, I love them :)

This is a song off Jim Lauderdale's brand spanking new CD, "From another world". The connection is to Alan's great original "If I didn't know you", and John's intro song, and my first song this week.

Our host kicked off with a song that mentions adultery and this song "what I wrote this week for this Season" explores that theme further.

Top Bottom