Season 382 Connections

So.....
Ryan brought us “Born On A Horse” by Biffy Clyro,
Who also sang “Who’s Got A Match?”
You might light your cigarette with a match.
Lucifers were an early brand of matches.
Lucifer is another name for the devil,
Devil translates as Diablo in Spanish.
Add an 0 and you get Diabolo,
The diabolo is a piece of juggling or circus equipment, and it is devilishly ( see what I did there?) difficult to do properly.
It derives from the Chinese Yo yo.
Yoyo Ma plays Bach on his cello.
Bach is pronounced ‘Bark’.
You might say of someone that their bark is worse than their bite.
That’s an idiom, in other words a phrase that is not meant to be taken literally.
You find literal bark on trees.
Pear trees perhaps,
Where, on the first day of Christmas, you may also find a Partridge,
Which gives you this Tony Romeo composed debut hit for The Partridge Family.

Anyway, going back to the Bay City Rollers...Apart from doing wonders for the tartan weaving industry, they also helped kick-start the career of another band. Tommy Ramone saw them do "Saturday Night" on TV, and liked the way the "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y night!" chant got the crowd going, and decided that his new band needed something similar. So the first single from The Ramones, and side 1 track 1 on their debut album, was this ...

So.....
Ryan brought us “Born On A Horse” by Biffy Clyro,
Who also sang “Who’s Got A Match?”
You might light your cigarette with a match.
Lucifers were an early brand of matches.
Lucifer is another name for the devil,
Devil translates as Diablo in Spanish.
Add an 0 and you get Diabolo,
The diabolo is a piece of juggling or circus equipment, and it is devilishly ( see what I did there?) difficult to do properly.
It derives from the Chinese Yo yo.
Yoyo Ma plays Bach on his cello.
Bach is pronounced ‘Bark’.
You might say of someone that their bark is worse than their bite.
That’s an idiom, in other words a phrase that is not meant to be taken literally.
You find literal bark on trees.
Pear trees perhaps,
Where, on the first day of Christmas, you may also find a Partridge,
Which gives you this Tony Romeo composed debut hit for The Partridge Family.

[video=youtube_share;5paOjiTXVBs]https://youtu.be/5paOjiTXVBs[/vieo]

Incredible :bowdown:

Back to back Tainted Love's put me in the mind of that 80's punk-pop-new wave, the kids who hung out around the art department when I was in high school really loved the Violent Femmes... and only TONIGHT do I learn that they were formed in Milwaukee, the city of my birth!

Berni's mention of adultery reminded me of a traditional song about a soldier "playing away" that I've not sung for a long time.

Steve brought the anthemic Blitzkrieg Bop, and NotAnotherLinda brought The Rolling Stones.
They line "Hey Ho, Let's Go" is often attributed to Rufus Thomas and his song "Walking The Dog", in which we find the line "High hose, tippy toes."
The Rolling Stones also do "Walking the Dog", and now Ollie and I do it as well in 100 degree heat.
Chess/Stax records rabbit hole officially open.

Don’t have a lot of time this week, but when an 80s synth classic is declared the season anthem I’ll somehow find an extra couple of hours from somewhere!

So, for all the reasons Lynda and Dave have already done this fabulous song - and also because our glorious host has invited more versions of it - here’s mine:

Dave did New Order. You know I love me some New Order! Surprisingly I’ve never learned this song before...

ok, this season is totally addictive! i've given up all hope of doing the other things i wanted to do, this week! the rabbit holes here are just too tempting! i tried for a more convuluted connection to this song...

starting from two of my other songs for this season, chrome sitar and chrome ukulele... chrome reminds me of the bike i had when i was a kid, it had a lot of chrome on it, and it took alot of polishing! memories of that bike make me think of "i want to ride my bicycle" by queen - which makes me think of freddie mercury... mercury makes me think of a thermometer... a thermometer makes me think of temperature... and that makes me think about the unseasonably low temperatures and cold weather here in the UK right now... which leads me to my sighting on tuesday of an abominable snowman here in london... well :uhoh: i wouldn't have been surprised to see one! it's freezing!!

"abominable snowman seen in june" - a homemade song for the season

Wheels - The Flying Burrito Brothers

The connection: I saw NotAnotherLinda's song from the Sutherland Bros. and figured there were quite a few other acts with brothers in their name. Of course, there are no actual blood brothers in The Flying Burrito Brothers, as a matter of fact, that band name doesn't seem to make any sense at all. Maybe that's why I like it so much :) Anyway, I overdubbed some harmonica and gnarly Diddly Bow noise on this one. Looking forward to catching up on everyone else's songs now that I got this done.

Some of these ‘connections’ are hilariously convoluted - is there a prize for the most tenuous connection, John? :D

Good moaning, as Officer Crabtree would say, from a cold and wet North of England :(. On the plus side though, how fab it is to wake up to a new bunch of songs, it’s almost like opening birthday presents :). We have 41 songs on the playlist now and the quality is just so high right across the board. Del, your suggestion is a good un, and therefore, yes, there will be a prize for the best and most convoluted connection.

Keep them coming folks, and remember, anyone can have a Tainted Love for free as it’s now the Season theme tune.

Since "Tainted Love" is now the theme of the week, I had to be a little different, so I counter it and connect it with a song by The Derailers called "Tarnished Love". Another connection is to Berni's original about adultery. In this song, there's cheating, but they still stay together. AlanDP was kind enough to sing harmony on it with me, and he plays lap steel on the turn around!

Top Bottom