Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 382 Connections

Quote Originally Posted by One Man And His Uke View Post
    No Robin, your starter song is “Bye Bye Baby”. I used “Life On Mars” as an example to show the kinds of paths you can wander down to make a connection
    Oh, oops. I was only half paying attention.

Clever idea John, as near as damn it a play what you want season. I never realised Bye Bye Baby was a 4 Seasons song but I know the Rollers were a Scottish band originally founded by two brothers, I think I've found my link to get started although I may lean more towards Rod the Mod's version.

Quote Originally Posted by NotAnotherLinda View Post
    Clever idea John, as near as damn it a play what you want season. I never realised Bye Bye Baby was a 4 Seasons song but I know the Rollers were a Scottish band originally founded by two brothers, I think I've found my link to get started although I may lean more towards Rod the Mod's version.
    Pretty much play what you want mate, yes, so long as there’s a connection. I’m interested to see what wierd and wonderful connections Seasonistas make just as much as the music itself. I think Wee Ginga Yin used to be in the Rollers by the way

The connection -
    Well our intro song to this season is performed by John Mannion March.
    This song is written by the same John Mannion March.
    Performed as an instrumental here on baritone uke and harmonica (key of C) for Season 382 -

This weeks challenge from the Ukulele Underground is to make a CONNECTION to the
    Intro song by the host... One man and his Uke. He chose to play Bye Bye Baby.
    So the connection is to the title that has Bye Bye in it and my contribution is Bye Bye Blackbird
    which is a song published in 1926 by the American composer Ray Henderson and lyricist Mort Dixon.
    It is considered a popular standard and was first recorded by Sam Lanin's Dance Orchestra in March 1926.
    Diana Krall did a version used in the soundtrack of the movie Public Enemies, which captures the pathos of the song.

HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

My connection falls into the category of "The Bleedin' Obvious" . An original.I was going to call it exactly the same as John's song but in these days of copyright angst I've expanded it to " Bye Bye Baby the blanket is unraveling". baritone in DF#AD.

Bye bye baby
    Its time that I went
    The chatter is idle
    The poetry is spent

Our old love letters
    Are grocery lists now
    Empty shelves
    Cracked church bells
    Madness of the crowd

Forever is prone to lightning
    Undying is suspect too
    The blanket is unraveling
    The warmth between me and you

Distance as the crow flies
    Time played off a break
    You’re scared you start to wonder
    If the giver’s on the take

John and Linda grew together
    Jane and Henry grew apart
    We just grew indifferent
    Tiredness of the heart

Undying is suspect too``

Bye Bye baby there’s winter talk of snow
    Swallow told me man go south
    The sun still runs the show
    I know I need the heat
    I know I need the shine
    I know I need the memory
    Of the days that you were mine

Undying is suspect too``

Bye Bye baby
    Its time I was gone
    Thank you for the kindness
    The latitude
    And the song.
    Last edited by Flatbaroque; 06-09-2019 at 01:29 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by NotAnotherLinda View Post
    Will be expecting a Proclaimers song from you then?
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Mine is a simple but tenuous connection. From Four Seasons, to Joy Division. Both have had biopics made about them, albeit the Four Seasons one was a stage show. It made sense to my sleep-addled brain at 6am. Both songs could also be interpreted as falling out of love with someone you can't leave.

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Here's a Carl Smith song from the 50's, and the connection is this song, like Bye Bye Baby, is about a married guy who sweetly dumps a girl he's been seeing on the side, but in this one some hanky panky has taken place. Carl Smith was a white hot country artist in the 50's, women went wild over him. A bit about him that could help someone make some connections this week. He was married to June Carter long before Johnny Cash married her, and Smith and she had a daughter together, Carlene Carter, who at one time was married to Nick Lowe, and later was Howie Epstein's girlfriend, in a drug addled relationship. Epstein was Tom Petty's bassist for a long time.

Season 382. Submission 1. "I'm Not In Love" (Written by Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman, 1974-75) Recorded by 10cc in 1975)

Thank you for hosting and your wonderful theme, John.

This one is on the subject of saying goodbye and was selected in response to your fine performance of "Bye Bye Baby."

Tenor ukulele on this one (amped)

Thread Information