Which Bass Uke

Col50

Reaction score
So far I have tried:-

Kala U Bass c£500/$600, pretty impressive
( way more than I want to play, played one as reference v others )
Makala c£225/$300, not impressed
Kala Journeyman, favourite of those played within budget
Kala Rumbler, was OK, a bit louder than Journeyman but far more fret buzz

Not had chance to try any others as yet.

Looking for either an electro acoustic or solid electric about £300 / $400

Any suggestions for makes and models to hunt out to a test play?

I recently got the Journeyman, which also had fret buzz, but Kala fixed it under warranty and it's very good now. I've also bought a couple direct from China through AliExpress for good prices that I'm happy with, both acoustic and solid body.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Which AliExpress models did you get Mike?

Which AliExpress models did you get Mike?

A couple of years ago I bought a Musoo Guitar bass uke that I modified to look like a walnut Rickenbacker. Recently I found an Aiersi solid body that I'm going to modify to look like a Bongo Bass. I now remember I didn't buy an acoustic, but see them all the time. I like the Rondo.com Hadean acoustic basses sold in the States, which look just like the ones on AliExpress.

Ukenbacker mod both 700.jpg

Aiersi & Orange Bongo Bass.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I started out with a Rumbler, 2 years ago, it was a good starter. then I picked up a Kala Exotic Mahogany, 2012 model without a preamp, very nice! Recently found a 2011 Kala Spruce top fretless without preamp, I love it. Obviously I like the Kalas, I think they're top shelf as far as a Ubass. Journeyman might be a good starter. Had a Hadean Beatle bass, but it sounded terrible, sent it back. Some people have had good luck with Hadean, but you take your chances. Donner DUB-1 is a decent budget model too, I've heard about good results.

Last edited:
I have a Kala SMHG-FS which I bought used

I got it within a week of learning about the U-Bass for the first time and didn't appreciate what a high end instrument I'd purchased. I've never played another U-Bass of any description

I think it is amazingly good

I put it through a Fender Rumble 40 for amateur gigs, and can't believe how loud it is and how good it sounds

As a matter of interest, I play it with my thumb (or a pick) to give it depth. Never with my fingers - which I always use on a bass guitar

As a reference point, my other basses are a Fender MIA Precision and a Fender MIA Jazz

Top Bottom