Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay Ukulele War Stories?

Default eBay Ukulele War Stories?

I’m in the middle of an eBay battle right now. Days of no activity and then pow, big time escalations in price. I’ve put in my “max” offer and now I’m just waiting as it fast approaches with all of the bidding activity. Have you ever been happy to “miss out” on a special uke? Have any of you had regrets about “winning” on eBay?

I wish people would just bid in the days leading up, instead of the final hours. In my mind I already won the auction (I am an eBay newbie). It looks like I won’t be having a NUD for some time.

Maybe I should try to bypass auctions by just paying via the make an offer option? Maybe it’s a little more expensive, but at least it’s more certain?
    I think I have pineapple UAS

Ukes in order of purchase
    2018: Córdoba concert 15CM, Luna soprano, Islander tenor AT-4, Iriguchi concert “Ma’Alaea” - Birdseye maple top and poplar back Aug 2018
    2019: Mahalo soprano Kahiko, KoAloha koa pineapple soprano KSM-01 (made in 2012), abused but unused gold label Kamaka koa pineapple, *rough* 1930’s Kamaka “Historic Mahogany Pineapple” with Philippine mahogany and wooden peg tuners.

I rarely bid on anything on Ebay, unless I offer a low bid, with a maximum I am willing to pay set in place. When I do, I don't expect to get the item, but pleased if I do. I am prepared to let the item go.

I refuse to get caught up in the "You Won!" bidding process. If it goes past my max, I don't participate any further. Auctions can be fun if you have a maximum price you're willing to pay firmly in mind—and stick to it.

Mostly, I'll only shop items with a "Buy It Now" price. As you say, it costs a little more, but it's worth being done with it and avoiding the aggravation.

I did however, make a low bid on a guitar strap once on a whim. It wasn't very attractive. And of course, I made the only bid for it. I gave it away at our club's Xmas party. For the White Elephant gift exchange. So it did work out in the end. The person who chose the gift uses it still.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 06-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Gmontema View Post
    I wish people would just bid in the days leading up, instead of the final hours.

Maybe I should try to bypass auctions by just paying via the make an offer option?
    Yeah, that's not how auctions work, at least for items that more than a few people want. Most of the bidding occurs in the final minutes or seconds as folks try to "snipe" it. People do it because it works. I've done it before too, but mostly I don't bother nowadays and do Buy It Now or Make Offer.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS, O Warm/Worth B

!Flukutronic!

I used to be an eBay lurker that would constantly view the item to get in the last "bargain" bid. I found a much easier way to do this with eSnipe.com.
    log in and set your top price and bid time. It will get you the lowest winning bid and let you know.
    I don't buy or sell on eBay anymore as I have reversed the process and now selling but not on eBay for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    I rarely bid on anything on Ebay, unless I offer a low bid, with a maximum I am willing to pay set in place. When I do, I don't expect to get the item, but pleased if I do. I am prepared to let the item go.

I refuse to get caught up in the "You Won!" bidding process. If it goes past my max, I don't participate any further. Auctions can be fun if you have a maximum price you're willing to pay firmly in mind—and stick to it.

Mostly, I'll only shop items with a "Buy It Now" price. As you say, it costs a little more, but it's worth being done with it and avoiding the aggravation.

I did however, make a low bid on a guitar strap once on a whim. It wasn't very attractive. And of course, I made the only bid for it. I gave it away at our club's Xmas party. For the White Elephant gift exchange. So it did work out in the end. The person who chose the gift uses it still.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I really should stick with the maximum I have in mind. I think I get to wrapped up in the new potential toy and try to rationalize a few more bucks. Dangerous thinking! I definitely don’t want buyers remorse due to getting wrapped up in an auction.

2018: Córdoba concert 15CM, Luna soprano, Islander tenor AT-4, Iriguchi concert “Ma’Alaea” - Birdseye maple top and poplar back Aug 2018
    2019: Mahalo soprano Kahiko, KoAloha koa pineapple soprano KSM-01 (made in 2012), abused but unused gold label Kamaka koa pineapple, *rough* 1930’s Kamaka “Historic Mahogany Pineapple” with Philippine mahogany and wooden peg tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Yeah, that's not how auctions work, at least for items that more than a few people want. Most of the bidding occurs in the final minutes or seconds as folks try to "snipe" it. People do it because it works. I've done it before too, but mostly I don't bother nowadays and do Buy It Now or Make Offer.

Thanks Jim. Intellectually I know about the sniping thing but it’s a little tough to stomach. I was the only bid for 3 days and then a bunch of people come out of the woodwork. I may just have to wait and see if my max bid survives. Luckily I was able to do the make offer thing for a gift uke. Whew. The seller countered my offer and we were able to settle on a price outside of the snipers. Yay, no headache on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by PetalumaRescuke View Post
    I used to be an eBay lurker that would constantly view the item to get in the last "bargain" bid. I found a much easier way to do this with eSnipe.com.
    log in and set your top price and bid time. It will get you the lowest winning bid and let you know.
    I don't buy or sell on eBay anymore as I have reversed the process and now selling but not on eBay for now.
    Thanks for the heads up with that approach. Congrats too with being a net seller. That road is much more cash friendly!

What a coincidence, I just told an eBay bidding story on another thread:

I was surfing eBay a few months ago and saw an Ovation sunburst tenor uke that I've been longing for because my first new guitar in 1975 was a sunburst Ovation. There were no bids after 2 days and it had a $400 buy it now price. I decided to limit my bid to $295, which carried for the next four days when someone made a lower bid. As the hour approached, my bid stood until literally the last 5 seconds when someone outbid me. For the next two weeks I kicked myself for not buying it outright for the $400, then I saw a sunburst Godin Multiuke in the Marketplace for $400, great price, and jumped on it, not wanting to loose out again. When it arrived, I was so glad I didn't buy the Ovation, the Godin is head and shoulders better.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

What were you hoping to buy?
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors

4 Sale: Pineapple - MP Cali, Tenor: Washburn, Luna Tattoo

I used to do eBay quite a lot but not so much anymore. My strategy was simple. I only ever made one bid, and it was always my absolute max. I also never bid with more than 5 seconds left in the auction. There are a couple reasons for this strategy. First, early bidding drives the price up. I want to win, but I want to pay as little as I can. Some people do this on purpose to get people out of the game early. Second, people make irrational decisions. They tell themselves they have a max, but when someone outbids their max with a day, an hour, or even a minute left, they’ll convince themselves they’re willing to pay more, and your max bid is now beat cause you put it in too early. Third, my max bid is my max bid. I’m comfortable if I spend every penny of it, and I’m comfortable if someone outbids me by a penny. Not giving myself time for a second, impulse bid has saved me from making several bad eBay decisions.

Bottom line, if you put your max bid in two days before an auction ends, it will likely get beat. If you put that same bid in 2 seconds before the end, it’s less likely to get beat. Logically, it doesn’t make sense, but at the same time, it makes perfect sense.

Last note, if Buy it Now is lower than your max bid, just pull the trigger. It’ll save you some regret. If make an offer is an option, same thing, but start a little below your max to give yourself some wiggle room.

All of these strategies have worked well for me in the past, but beware. eBay can be equal parts addicting and stressful.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thread Information