Question re beginner ukulele price point??

Welcome! Wow 3 pages in less days! I think that is a statement about how friendly the uke community is.

I would answer your question in two ways: I think there are two primary considerations: impediments to learning and encouragements to learning.

Impediments to learning: I think as a beginner, you want to reduce as many impediments to learning as possible.
(1) People recommend a good setup because it makes the uke easier to play. If the instrument is setup poorly and the string height is too high or causes buzzing or makes it difficult to play a chord cleanly, you will get frustrated which will make it harder to play.

(2) Having a uke without a strap means it slides around and is less stable thus creating an impediment to learning. Asking for a $5-10 strap button on the bottom of the uke helps a lot of people. They also tie the other end of the strap between the tuners (and try to get geared vs friction because they are easier to use and reduces another impediment to learning)

(3) A lot of ukes these days come set up pretty good out of the box. But there is still a lot of variation. I think as a beginner, getting a $10 clip on tuner is vital. Those things are incredible compared to trying to tune by ear to a speaker.

These three things will reduce a lot of impediments to learning. In contrast, you also want to pick things that encourage learning.

Encouragements to learning:

(1) laminate vs wood. Is there a huge difference in sound between laminate and wood? There can be. As a new player will you be able to tell, maybe. But the question, in my humble opinion is really will the extra money spent on the higher quality instrument encourage you to play it more because you enjoy the sound more? Maybe not at the beginning as you are just starting out. Some people pay extra on looks because it looks pretty. Grain pattern, wood color, it looks fun! If it makes the player pick up the uke more, then it is totally worth it. Just know, that all wood instruments require more care and maintenance to get temperature and humidity right. Laminate instruments are more care free. Remember a uke just laying around the house is likely to get picked up more and played, even for a few minutes at a time.

(2) pick a song you want to learn! If you can get three chords down. C chord which can do right now. F chord which takes a little practice and G or G7, which takes a little practice, hundreds, yes I said hundreds, of songs will be open to you!

(3) I agree sing! It makes it fun! Also helps with your rhythm. ItÂ’s great your wife is doing it too. You can motivate and encourage each other!

Welcome again!
Rich

When you get your new ukulele, it may take upwards of a week for the strings to settle in and hold their tune. You should check your tuning every day. Tuning will vary with heat and or humidity.

Look for a clip on chromatic tuner.

Last edited:
The Makala MKs that you played are pretty nice.
I believe that they are made from agathis, not mahogany. But who cares. My first uke was one of those.

However, I will go with option 1, the nicer starter uke suggestion. A solid top Ohana or Kala with nice setup is still affordable enough to be a "beater" if you get a high end ukulele. And it looks more dignified than the Makala comic sans looking logo.
I sold my Makala rather than keeping it as a beater due to the less serious look.

However, you can also buy one cheap and one medium prices ukulele and compare.

Last edited:
Ten months ago I picked up a Cordoba 15CM for $100 which was "highly rated" at the top price end for a beginner ukulele. It was fine for the first month when I decided to try chord/melody playing. Well, it was no longer okay because the intonation (correct pitch of different notes) was off, partly because it was not set up well and partly because it was a beginner ukulele. I made a big jump to a KoAloha which played and sounded great, but at a big price point (deciding to skip the intermediate step ups every few months as I improved).

My adult son had a Donner concert from Amazon for $65 and he chose to trade it for my Cordoba, which sounded and played better. He gave the Donner to his sister, who then caught uke fever. But she tried my KoAloha and noticed the big difference in sound and playability. Knowing that unhappiness with an uke would decrease her enthusiasm, I bought her an Ohana, the Cynthia Lin laminate model for $179 from Mim's. Great setup, looks, feel, and intonation with Worth Brown strings. She is delighted with it.

So my personal and family experience is to take a step or two up from the beginner's group of ukuleles. The C Lin model did well for my daughter and my friend who still uses it after two years. There is a greater likelihood that if you go cheaper you will be unhappy that you did not spend a little more than you will regret spending more for a better uke and feel that the money was not well spent.

Wow! Lots of good additional info! Thanks to all!

It seems that the answer to my original question re "price point" is between $100-200, and that pushing more towards $200 may be worth it in the long run. Factored into this are accessories such as strap button, tuner, and case. I would think that a hard case would be better than a bag but I guess it depends on the price difference.

I've continued to browse YouTube and am now leaning towards a tenor model instead of a concert. I'm also thinking that having a pickup might be fun as I have access to an old guitar amplifier. As the price point approaches $200 there sure are some pretty instruments available like walnut and ebony (but I realize that looks should not be a factor).

I'll probably buy from Mim's or the Ukulele Site. Interestingly, my wife thinks that she can hear tone differences on the sound samples at the Ukulele Site but I'm not hearing much difference, if any.

rainbow21, could you comment on how/why you picked the Cynthia Lin laminate model over the competition? At that price point it looks like some solid top instruments are available, although I like what I've read about the relative durability of laminate.

It is so so hard to choose an ukulele in a price class without having it in your hands to compare. The C Lin came out last year to very good reviews as a starter uke that was a little costlier but somewhat better than the beginner models. This is confirmed by many reviews (including this forum). A good friend who has a year more experience than me purchased it and was very happy with it, especially the strings that she insisted be included. I was able to try his and had no complaints, thinking it would have been a much better starter than the Cordoba or Lanikai (which is confirmed by my daughter's C Lin). That made the purchase easy... I did not have to sort through different companies, different woods, different feedback and reviews, etc.

What also made it easy is that my daughter has been using Lin's videos to learn to play and so getting her this likely made it more desirable for her (and thus me). And it worked out fine.

It seems that the answer to my original question re "price point" is between $100-200, and that pushing more towards $200 may be worth it in the long run. Factored into this are accessories such as strap button, tuner, and case. I would think that a hard case would be better than a bag but I guess it depends on the price difference.

I've continued to browse YouTube and am now leaning towards a tenor model instead of a concert. I'm also thinking that having a pickup might be fun as I have access to an old guitar amplifier. As the price point approaches $200 there sure are some pretty instruments available like walnut and ebony (but I realize that looks should not be a factor).

I'll probably buy from Mim's or the Ukulele Site. Interestingly, my wife thinks that she can hear tone differences on the sound samples at the Ukulele Site but I'm not hearing much difference, if any.

rainbow21, could you comment on how/why you picked the Cynthia Lin laminate model over the competition? At that price point it looks like some solid top instruments are available, although I like what I've read about the relative durability of laminate.

Just remember that you can accessorize later if you decide that it is the route you want to go. You don't have to sink a lot of money on other stuff to start with unless you want to.

This may be in another direction from where you're currently going but you might want to consider an Ohana SK-30M from Mim. It's a long neck soprano so it has a soprano body with a concert scale neck. It's an all-solid mahogany and sells for $169 from her. I bought a B-stock of this model from her a while ago and it was well worth the price even if I had paid full price. It's got a very nice sound and I reach for it all the time.

Last edited:
I
I would just buy two makalas, today if you can, like the ones you played already, and get on with learning about playing ukuleles and music together. DOn't forget to pick up a tuner each as well. Spend some time together writing out a playlist of ten tunes you want to play together, and set about the process of working towards being able to play them. It might take two years of working together to be able to do it. Forget about money and all the ukes available and get straight down to the music.
It will be a natural process to upgrade at some point, then you will have some experience and hopefully some saved money, and you wont need to ask social media to choose for you.

Two is an interesting idea, and I've already experienced the Makala. But, I'm not seeing any recommended dealers that do setups (Mim, etc) as selling Makalas. Do you know of one?

I

Two is an interesting idea, and I've already experienced the Makala. But, I'm not seeing any recommended dealers that do setups (Mim, etc) as selling Makalas. Do you know of one?

Makala is the Kala entry-level label. They’re good ukes for the money, but I would guess dealers don’t set them up because a good setup takes time and time is money, especially when you’re not making much on the sale. I bought my Makala used and i play it a lot. The frets are a little rough toward the base of the neck, but I don’t play there.

You could instead consider a Kala or Ohana entry-level concert which will be set up. Check Mim’s Reverb.com store. I’ll bet you could find a few choices for under $100.

With more pay you usually get better set up ukes too. With cheaper ukes, their fret placing is normally fine. What is not is nut action and/or saddle height.

Then when you want use somethings like welding torch tip cleaners, for nut action, It is important to know that they are flexible. You must use a proper angle all time, same as with all nut filings. Or you need get a new nut.
Sandpaper is one to grind the bottom of your saddle, but with this you must know that usually on summer the action is highest, and what is now good, maybe too low on winter times.
Just wanted to tell.

Your Wife noticing the tonal differences is really excellent, it means she has a very good ear.

That in turn may very well mean that as your abilities increase you will so want to move up in terms of quality.

Over on Fb someone is asking about a good quality Uke that looks good and in amongst the replies is one for a certain small manufacturer where they have a short video of their ukes where they play each in turn and the difference even on Youtube in quality of tone is very large with sold spruce sounding the best. So what I am getting at is if you are going to compare via online reviews do so where there are multiple instrument reviews in the same video for then you will have a more even like for like comparison. If you scroll down on the page of this link and watch the short video you should hear quite a difference.

https://www.magicfluke.com/Fluke-s/1477.htm

As I suggested in my previous post do get whatever you choose set up properly by a Luthier.

Sort of still think that for you and your Wife initially a Kala KATEME Tenor is a good starter then save up some cash and buy her a good quality solid uke.

Meanwhile do a local search for Ukulele groups/societies etc as within such there will be a wealth of information and instruments for you to see and try.

Last edited:
The first question is whether uke-playing is just a passing fancy which will result in whatever uke the OP buys ending up in the bottom of the closet.. If the OP plans on taking lessons (then the instructor has a lot of influence here) or self-learn, the odds of the first uke lasting forever are thin. In that sense, the least spent, the better.

Second question is hand size and dexterity. An earlier post suggested concert size as a starter, and it's a darned good suggestion. If the spouse has smaller hand size, then soprano may be better for the spouse. Having two different duzed ukes can give both perdons an early opportunity to swap, learn and sppreciate the instrument size difference.

Last, whatever low-cost uke is purchased, get better strings immediately. Many inexpensive ukes are really not that bad-sounding once the strings are changed.

Mim has some for sale at $80. She does set ups.

OK thanks. I'm having trouble with her www page on my old iPad and I didn't see Makala. I'll look on a desktop computer.

Thanks for all the additional advice! Those magicflute clips are great! To me, they sound really, really good (which may be because that dude is a heckuva player).

As was mentioned, Makala and Kala are the same brand. Since you know you liked the Makalas, going with something like a Kala KA-C will get you a bit nicer finish and details and still feel familiar, maybe consider too if you can't find the Makala MK-C. Somewhat of a price premium, but I could have been happy with my Kala forever if I didn't go down the upgrade route (I'm not sure how that happens, I typically don't do that with other items). If you do want to go with something with a pickup, then it's a higher price category - I don't have any with pickups so I don't have an opinion there.

Just a follow up in case anyone is interested ......

I still have some info coming in but am getting close to pulling the trigger and will post about what I end up buying.

I really, really like those magic fluke instruments for multiple reasons but don't think I can justify spending that much at this point.

I happened across a great online deal on a Kala KATEME but, while tempted, I'm going to pass as it is not from one of the recommended vendors that does setup.

I've gotten a strong recommendation for a Makala Shark to tide me over as tastes develop. I may go that route but think that playing a wood instrument would be more enjoyable on a day to day basis. I do however see the utility of a largely plastic "go anywhere" instrument.

Anyway, the research and learning is fun and hopefully playing will be even more fun!

The Magic Fluke is a good sounding, easy to play ukulele, with the added bonus of being a "go anywhere, no worries" instrument. It's worth the extra money. Should you ever feel the need to move to an all wood uke, the Fluke will still be your "no worries, fun to play" ukulele. And the fact that it stands up on it's own, is like having a permanent party trick. :) It always makes people smile.
Jan D

If you are going to get a low cost uke then Amazon or another retailer that accepts returns without hassle is all that is needed.

Just make sure that the neck is straight, its not twisted, there is no buzz on any frets and the frets are finished off neatly and you will be fine.

If you are going to get a low cost uke then Amazon or another retailer that accepts returns without hassle is all that is needed.

Just make sure that the neck is straight, its not twisted, there is no buzz on any frets and the frets are finished off neatly and you will be fine.

Setup with proper action is critical. I bought my first ukulele from a big box type music store. The action was so high that any kind of barre chord required kung fu grip. Playing the uke that way would have ended up with carpal tunnel syndrome and the pain and difficulty in getting a clean sound would have been very discouraging. I couldn't believe the difference in feel and ease of playing once the action was lowered.

Just a follow up in case anyone is interested ......

I really, really like those magic fluke instruments for multiple reasons but don't think I can justify spending that much at this point.

I was attracted to the Flea/Fluke at one point in time. I had a chance to try a Flea in a music store and the sound was pretty nice. There were several things I couldn't get past. I didn't like the plastic frets/fretboard. The frets seemed very low. I was able to play it and get a good sound but I had to wonder how plastic frets would hold up over time. Another thing, I don't think I'd buy a uke with friction tuners. I'm not sure in the long run that I'd like that plastic back with the rounded edges either. It might be a bit slippery. Last time I looked, the base price was $250. If you want to upgrade to geared tuners and a wood fretboard with metal frets you're adding $150 or so to the price. When you start looking at what other ukes you could buy for $250 or $400, the Magic Flukes don't look so attractive.

Top Bottom