Marking Flea/Fluke Fretboards

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I bought a Flea with the standard plastic fretboard, and I'm wondering what others have done to mark it to make the frets easier to see. I can play it as is, but I'd prefer to have the frets visible. The best alternative would be to have Magic Fluke replace the board, of course.

I tried the silver sharpie route, it wore off to fast. Now every year or two, I tape off the fretboard and apply a silver paint. Quick and easy once fretboard is taped off. Let paint dry overnight, take off masking tape.......DONE.

I got a Flea a few days ago. I was thinking just the edges of the frets facing you where the strings don’t touch would be ideal. I’m in search of the perfect pen. My mom paints rocks, may have to go to her house and see what she’s got ;)

That was hard for me to be accurate with a nail polish brush. Had to break out the nail polish remover and start fresh. :)

I used the rub-down side fret marker transfers on my Oya tenor. They work very well.

Various fret marker designs are available for use on the fretboard. From elaborate inlay-looking ones to simple dots. Relatively inexpensive too.

When one eventually rubs off, it's easy to apply another. Get tired of them, you can use a piece of tape to remove one or all.

Search on Amazon. They have quite a few different ones listed for guitars. Some especially for ukuleles.

I guess you could use any cheap, skinny, pointy brush.

That was hard for me to be accurate with a nail polish brush. Had to break out the nail polish remover and start fresh. :)

And all this while, I was wondering how neat it would be if there were a matte black metal choice for frets, ideally on an ebony fretboard. Personally I love the minimalist "fretless look" concept. No dots, of course, except side ones. I guess we're always looking for something to change to suit our unique selves. LOL

bratsche

I guess you are talking about side markers. Since it is plastic, you might be able to just use a 1/16” drill bit and twist it with your fingers to make an shallow indent and fill it with white paint. A little masking tape on the top end of the drill bit will give it more grip. Heat up a small nail or needle to mark the location and make it easier to start the drill. You can remove the fretboard if that makes it easier.

I have used a small mechanical, crank, hand drill. But that was into wood and I glued in pearloid markers. You just want an indent for a paint fill.

John

I guess you are talking about side markers. Since it is plastic, you might be able to just use a 1/16” drill bit and twist it with your fingers to make an shallow indent and fill it with white paint. A little masking tape on the top end of the drill bit will give it more grip. Heat up a small nail or needle to mark the location and make it easier to start the drill. You can remove the fretboard if that makes it easier.

I have used a small mechanical, crank, hand drill. But that was into wood and I glued in pearloid markers. You just want an indent for a paint fill.

John

This is what I did years ago. Super easy and still looks good.

I got a Flea a few days ago. I was thinking just the edges of the frets facing you where the strings don’t touch would be ideal. I’m in search of the perfect pen. My mom paints rocks, may have to go to her house and see what she’s got ;)

Yes, taping the fretboard is a good idea. I'm leaning toward just painting the side facing me. I seldom look at the fretboard when I'm playing, but I still look occasionally, and not being able to see the frets doesn't help. I have lots of tubes of touch-up paint from previous cars, so I might try that. I also have some of those little press-on side dots. If I can find them, I'll give them a try. It's a Flea with a plastic fretboard, not a custom Ko'olau. : )

Top Bottom