Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s with these “hard shell” gig bags.

Default What’s with these “hard shell” gig bags.

I’m must not be aware of something. Which is the case a lot When I got my first Uke, I got a Kala hard shell gig bag. The guy at the store struggled to zip it up. I thought “does that even fit?” Seemed to put a lot of pressure on the front of the Uke. I ended up not using it because I thought something was wrong. I get that there is material meant to give, but it still seemed like too much pressure.

Well fast forward to today, I just got a Mono Vertigo gig bag from my wife for my Clara. I believe this is the updated model from the one Blackbird reccomends. I hope not. I checked the dimensions and the vertigo is the same or bigger. Anyway, I don’t have my Clara yet, so I tried my flea. I definitely did not like the pressure. The build quality of the case is awesome, but I’m returning it. I hope I missed something and the original model is deeper. Either way I’m all hard cases from here. I want my instrument held gently with awesome protection around it. Not with a bunch of consistent pressure with more possible.

I could be totally ignorant and the pressure is fine or a good thing. Doesn’t feel right to me..
    Last edited by Kibes37; 06-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    Blackbird Clara Sunburst - Low G - Fremont
    Kanile’a K-2 Premium - High G - Living Water
    KoAloha KCO-10 Acacia - High G - Stock
    Flea - High G - Living Water
    Aiersi OU-31M - High G - Worth

If you Uke easy, life will be hard. If you Uke hard, life will be easy.

I've seen other cases that have padding that seems to put extra pressure on a ukulele, too. I get that it's supposed to hold the ukulele in place and protect it, but I worry about there being too much pressure on the ukulele. I'd love to hear what people have to say about that. Must be OK, or they wouldn't sell the cases like that? But it would worry me.

IF I have to force a lid shut, even the slightest bit, it's too snug.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I've seen other cases that have padding that seems to put extra pressure on a ukulele, too. I get that it's supposed to hold the ukulele in place and protect it, but I worry about there being too much pressure on the ukulele. I'd love to hear what people have to say about that. Must be OK, or they wouldn't sell the cases like that? But it would worry me.
    I thought the strap the goes around the neck in cases does a good job of holding it in place. I haven't seen these cases, but I don't think pressure is required to protect a uke.

The Clara is a reasonably thin uke, so it may fit. It also comes with a Gator gig bag which is a quality bag and may suffice to not have to look for an upgrade. Get the Clara in hand before you make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibes37 View Post
    I’m must not be aware of something. Which is the case a lot When I got my first Uke, I got a Kala hard shell gig bag. The guy at the store struggled to zip it up. I thought “does that even fit?” Seemed to put a lot of pressure on the front of the Uke. I ended up not using it because I thought something was wrong. I get that there is material meant to give, but it still seemed like too much pressure.

Well fast forward to today, I just got a Mono Vertigo gig bag from my wife for my Clara. I believe this is the updated model from the one Blackbird reccomends. I hope not. I checked the dimensions and the vertigo is the same or bigger. Anyway, I don’t have my Clara yet, so I tried my flea. I definitely did not like the pressure. The build quality of the case is awesome, but I’m returning it. I hope I missed something and the original model is deeper. Either way I’m all hard cases from here. I want my instrumental held gently with awesome protection around it. Not with a bunch of consistent pressure with more possible.

I could be totally ignorant and the pressure is fine or a good thing. Doesn’t feel right to me..
    I have a Mono M80 for my tenor uke and think it is great! The vertigo is a newer model and based off their guitar bags I think. I haven’t seen too much information about them. The M80 has a neck cradle with a Velcro part to keep the uke in place. I heard the reunion blues continental gig bags are pretty rugged too. For some of my hard cases (especially those without an arched top), I see string intentions in the velvet lining.

I don’t think any of the cases are meant to withstand us standing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    The Clara is a reasonably thin uke, so it may fit. It also comes with a Gator gig bag which is a quality bag and may suffice to not have to look for an upgrade. Get the Clara in hand before you make a decision.
    That’s probably a good idea, but I think I’m a hard case guy. I could see the gig bag advantage more with guitars. With Ukes I have no problem carrying a hard case. As far as gig bags go Mono build quality is what I was hoping for. I watched a million YouTube videos since this post and I realize gig bags are fine for certain quality levels. The Clara is just difficult to locate a hard case for at the moment. I think the Southern Uke Store may have them now.

Anyhow, thanks.
    Blackbird Clara Sunburst - Low G - Fremont
    Kanile’a K-2 Premium - High G - Living Water
    KoAloha KCO-10 Acacia - High G - Stock
    Flea - High G - Living Water
    Aiersi OU-31M - High G - Worth

If you Uke easy, life will be hard. If you Uke hard, life will be easy.

I have a few of those hard, zippered cases, and they all suit the ukes that are in them. If the uke is a very tight fit, don't use it. One thing I like about the zippered cases is that they often allow for an odd-shaped uke to fit inside.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

‘Ukulele sizes differ, and neck thicknesses differ. The same is true of cases. If your instrument has a thicker neck, the neck support in the case may need to be lowered a bit. Even an eighth of an inch can make a big difference.

Remove the screws from the outside of the case that hold the neck support in place and then lift out the support. You can test-fit your ‘ukulele to see if this is going to help.

If you decide it will help, shave some height from the bottom of the support, re-insert the support into the case, and test-fit your instrument again. When you get it right, remove your ‘ukulele and screw the neck support in place.
    Last edited by Futurethink; 06-11-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Isn't the whole point of the Clara that it's nearly indestructible? If I had one, I'd get a cheap gig bag just to make it easy to carry.

Thread Information