KoAloha: Fix or Forget?

BBegall

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a KoAloha Tenor I got at HMS several years ago. Awhile ago I noticed a hairline crack on the top piece near the edge. I'm don't know how this happened but my best guess includes a dog and the couch.

This is a great ukulele that I love playing and the crack is so stable it doesn't effect playability, sound or anything. It's barely visible and the ukulele has to be held at an angle to the light to even see it. Despite all that it just bothers me every time I do see it.

I know KoAloha has a lifetime guarantee and I could send it to them for a fix. Has anyone had a repair done by KoAloha? Is this worth doing or should I just leave it alone.

KoAlohaten.jpg

It is hard to say, without handling the instrument, but I would suggest that if the cracked area is not depressed or standing proud, and if gentle finger pressure does not cause noticeable separation of the crack, and if the join between top and side is not affected - a lot of "ifs", I know - then I would just leave it alone.

Keep an eye on it, of course, to make sure it remains stable.

John Colter.

The below is my opinion, informed by just assumptions and my limited knowledge of the way the world works. I e also never sent a ukulele in to the luthier who made it to be fixed, so bear that in mind with my opinion.

If it bothers you, I would reach out to KoAloha. They may need you to include some info about the original purchase to make use of their warranty, but then again I’m not sure it covers accidents like what maybe happened here.

That said, what’s the harm in asking them if they could make a “hide the crack” repair? I imagine it would be a simple enough fix and having it done by them would ensure that the work is all still theirs. Not saying your local luthiers wouldn’t be up to the task, but keeping it “serviced by the dealer” is important to some in the car world, and I imagine here in the ukulele world, too.

If it's barely noticeable, I'd just keep an eye on it, to make sure it doesn't increase, otherwise, I don't think I'd worry about it. :music:

I would just play it.

I have a really nice ukulele with a worse crack than that and I just kept on playing it and it plays just fine. It doesn't have a lifetime warranty though.

I'd at least talk to KoAloha about it as it might get worse down the road. A stitch in time saves nine is kind or relevant here.

Is the crack in the wood or just the finish? That might make a difference

I can't imagine a warranty that covers a dog sitting on your uke.

Not even one touted as better than the weather? :p

Honestly, I think a good local luthier could hide the crack easily and cheaply. The question, I think, is whether the OP wants the KoAloha team to do the work or not. Chances are—as you rightly point out—it’ll be out of pocket, and shipping to Hawaii ain’t cheap!

I sent my DVI from Perth to Hawaii to get a repair. It took a bit of time of course. They sent me back a nice repaired uke and refunded my costs. Also they have sent me a new saddle when I lost the saddle on a road trip, and they have answered my questions when I asked.
The first step is to send an email to Koaloha with a photo. Then you will start a dialogue and get the details and you uke will be on the way to being repaired instead of collecting dust or getting worse. It is going to take some time, but in the end your uke will be good for another 20 years.

A good anecdote about the benefit of contacting the producer just to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DPO:

I can't imagine that either. I really have no idea how this happened, it was just there one day. Dogs eat homework and are easy to blame.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think a good local luthier could hide the crack easily and cheaply. The question, I think, is whether the OP wants the KoAloha team to do the work or not. Chances are—as you rightly point out—it’ll be out of pocket, and shipping to Hawaii ain’t cheap!

I have a great Luthier near me in the LoPrinzi shop who have done repairs for me in the past but I like the idea of contacting the producer just to see what they think. Thanks to all.

I'd call Koaloha and email them a photo of it, then do whatever they recommend. Even if I was paying out of pocket. But that's just me, I really like my Koalohas. If it was a cheap uke, or a hobby I wasn't as devoted to, I'd ignore it.

If there were any company that I would say might cover it then it would be KoAloha. Best warranty in the business!!

Is the crack in the wood or just the finish? That might make a difference

That was the first thing I looked for. It's really hard to be sure but I believe the crack is in the wood.

My Martin T1k popped a little 2 in crack on the top near the end. I consulted the luthier in my club who advised doing nothing unless the crack grew. That was maybe a year ago and the crack has closed up and barely visible now.

Top Bottom