WTB: Affordable (<$500?) Solid Tenor with Hard Case

Shaw

Reaction score
I’d like to try a solid wood tenor. It will travel, so I’d prefer a hard case. I’m thinking sub $500 because I like a deal and will have to clear it with the wife. I like the aesthetic and focus on function of Pono, Loprinzi, Bruko (not sure about sustain...). I’m open minded. Thanks.

I’d like to try a solid wood tenor. It will travel, so I’d prefer a hard case. I’m thinking sub $500 because I like a deal and will have to clear it with the wife. I like the aesthetic and focus on function of Pono, Loprinzi, Bruko (not sure about sustain...). I’m open minded. Thanks.

I've got a Special Edition Kala KA-SRT-SC Solid spruce Top with Solid Rosewood body, and a Kala hard case I am putting up for sale. It's a very nice uke, but I have 3 tenors and 2 concerts with this tonewood combo. Will probably put a post up on the forum this evening with photos. Currently strung re-entrant with Worth Brown strings. I am the first owner, and it still looks mint.

HMS video here: https://player.vimeo.com/video/173133888

Last edited:
You can buy a new base level Pono Tenor for about $400. Solid Mango, Acacia, Mahogany. They have a satin finish and are very well made.
I have an MGT Mango tenor that I love.

The deluxe models of Pono Tenors have gloss finishes with satin necks. They sell for under $500.
I have an ATD Acacia tenor that is also very nice.

They both have Great tone and feel. Especially with Worth Brown or Living Waters strings.

Some places will throw in a UkeCrazy type canvas/poly foam case with purchase. And a humidifier as well.

Last edited:
I purchased a new Deluxe Pono tenor with a hardshell case for $479 with free setup and shipping. It seemed like a pretty decently built ukulele.

This is where I ordered it from: www.theukulelesite.com

Last edited:
I would agree with Pono AT, MT or MGT great bargains. All solid wood. Play great. Solid hard case included Great ukes and great players and excellent sound. I have a Pono AT that I will never part with. You could get a spruce or cedar top, version with Acacia back and sides for $479-$499. The later are same Matt finish with radius fret board and Grover tuners. I have the MTD-SP with gloss finish. Excellent, but frankly I like Matt finish better. Can’t go wrong with Pono. New. Call HMS.........they do a great set up!!!

I don't have an uke to offer you, but I thought I'd second Jerry's recommendation. I was in a similar situation when shopping for my first 'ukulele, and I ended up purchasing a Kala KA-ATP-CTG-CE ("CE" for cutaway and electronics). I later A/B'd it against a few Pono MTs and MTDXs at the Aloha Warehouse in San Francisco's Japantown, and found them to be comparable overall (the Kala was even the better instrument for finger picking).

Even my later "upgrade" to a Kanile'a felt more like a sidestep for the first year or so of ownership (until I learned how to get more from the Kanile'a), and I held onto the Kala for a while before finally selling it to another UUer.

More experience has taught me that the Kala cedar tops can't quite go toe-to-toe against good examples from Pono's Pro Classic line, but you need experienced hands to make the difference apparent; if you can find one a Pro Classic used for under $500, you *may* want to snag it. Otherwise, that Kala model is available new for $280 (or $380 with onboard electronics that can be easily upgraded for another $10-20), and is one of the best ukes around (new or used) for under $500.

If in doubt, HMS is only a phone call away and can steer you in the right direction. When buying an import, it's best to purchase through a reputable 'ukulele dealer that does setups like HMS.

Last edited:
I have a Pono AT (Acacia Tenor) I'm thinking of selling with a card case. If you're interested, PM me.

Islander MST-4 may be a great choice. Just a matter of finding a good dealer who is willing to haggle and include a case in the price and shipping.

My Ohana TK-50G Rosewood/Cedar tenor was a second and I bought it for $300 at a local music store. Played and sounded very good. Looked pretty nice as well. Had a couple of flaws under the gloss finish that were noticeable if you looked hard enough. New it was about $450 I think.

Another resource is Mim's blem-stock section. She often has some deals for instruments that have minor flaws. Her prices are good on the regular stock as well. Both include a great setup with purchase.

https://www.mimsukes.com/?condition=b-stock

Second that on the Mim blem stock. I picked up a Limited Edition Ohana CK-470G Spruce/Rosewood Concert that had minor blemishesshe mostly buffed out for a steal. Makes a great little conert travel uke.

Eastman tenors are all solid mahogany and come with excellent hard cases. $439 at Elderle.

My Long&McQuade in Canada has one of these in the acoustic room. Been hanging there for years. Worst uke I ever touched.

Probably why it's been hanging there so long. My Eastman concert, on the other hand, is definitely a keeper. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't.

There are some decent used tenors on Elderly that might be worth checking out.

I think I have a purchase pending. Thanks to everyone who gave advice and for the PMs with instruments to look at!

Top Bottom