Thread: Taking time to watch the flowers

Default Taking time to watch the flowers

Somewhat of a cheeky take on the old adage that you will be happier in life if you “take time to smell the roses”. But, in my line of work, sticking your snozz into a flower before looking isn’t the best idea.

That said, when I sit and observe the activity around the patches of native California flowers I have growing at home and at work, I’m always so thrilled because I’m likely to see something new.

Today, I observed no less than six unique species of native bees (two bumblebee species, a few carpenter bees, a long-horned bee, and two species of sweat bees), not to mention honeybees and wasps, all going crazy over a patch of Lacy phacelia we have planted along the driveway.

The last two natives, the sweat bees, are real treats for me because they are so hard to capture on film or even see sometimes. The common ones are skittish, which makes sense given they are only a few millimeters in length, and the ultra-greens I saw today were a first for me!

Attachment 118844

This first photo is of a female Agapostemon texanum (Ultra-Green Sweat Bee) taking off from some of the aforementioned Lacy phacelia. The photo doesn’t do justice the beautiful jewel-like coloring she had!

Attachment 118845

The second photo here is of an unknown Halictus spp. (common Sweat Bee), and was the first time I got so close before one flew off!

Both shot on an iPhone X with no zoom or filter added.

Just wanted to share the good feelings of seeing so many native pollinators thriving in my own backyard, and to encourage everyone to stop and observe some wildflowers the next chance they get. You’ll be surprised at the amount of life that a few flowers can support if you just stop to look!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YogiTom; 06-11-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — The Rebel ‘Double Cheesecake’ C-LN — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — Kanile‘a 2019 Platinum Tenor #21021 — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Yep, it's good to just relax & take in the world now & then.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

See how much your world opens up when your wife puts a stop to the UAS?

I was surprised to learn recently, how so many bee looking insects are actually flies. The wings are a big tell, but I have to remember what I'm looking for...
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    See how much your world opens up when your wife puts a stop to the UAS?

I was surprised to learn recently, how so many bee looking insects are actually flies. The wings are a big tell, but I have to remember what I'm looking for...
    Perhaps, but I’ve always been drawn to nature. I just have more time for it, I guess.

And I spend most of my day explaining to visitors to the meadery that honeybees are the only bees that make honey, that they aren’t native to most places where they are found now, and that it was probably a wasp and not a bee that stung them that one time at summer camp.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — The Rebel ‘Double Cheesecake’ C-LN — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — Kanile‘a 2019 Platinum Tenor #21021 — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Bonus photo: one of the bumblebee species mentioned in my OP. They let you get sooooo close!
    99D9DD93-8507-47AB-ADDE-AB878DA45511.jpg
    Current UAS fallout:

Peonies the size of softballs in full bloom here in MA right now, as well as irises. My wife has serious BAS (Bloom Acquisition Syndrome), so we have bouquets like this all over the house. Roses will be next.

20190612_010744.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 06-11-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Peonies the size of softballs in full bloom here in MA right now, as well as irises. My wife has serious BAS (Bloom Acquisition Syndrome), so we have bouquets like this all over the house. Roses will be next.

20190612_010744.jpg
    Lovely! High on my “to grow” list are dahlias, but the deer in our area are pretty indiscriminate grazers...
    Current UAS fallout:

Tom, I didn't know you were a bug guy.
    Fantastic!
    I used to use Integrated Pest Management, and part of it was knowing which beneficial species would dine on which harmful ones.
    It looks like you know way more than I did.
    Way to go!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Tom, I didn't know you were a bug guy.
    Fantastic!
    I used to use Integrated Pest Management, and part of it was knowing which beneficial species would dine on which harmful ones.
    It looks like you know way more than I did.
    Way to go!
    Thanks! Honestly, Google and my local university extension have been incredible resources for learning more about what I observe at home and at work.

One of my all time favorite beneficial insects is the hover fly. They are important pollinators for native plants AND their larvae are aphid eating machines, consuming 100-200 per day!

The adults use Batesian mimicry, whereby they have adopted the yellow/black striped warning pattern of wasps and bees, despite being totally harmless to us and their predators.

Here is one on the seaside daisy (Erigeron glaucus) we have growing outside the tasting room at work.
    8B0384E6-26A8-47C1-8369-0A17DE62D129.jpg
    Current UAS fallout:

Thread Information