Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping on Amazon

Default Shopping on Amazon

Amazon is "my store." If I want something, I look there first. To make it even better, I use https://smile.amazon.com. A portion of the money I spend there goes to the charity of my choice. I just received the message below from Amazon. There is no downside or extra cost to me.

"This is your quarterly AmazonSmile donation notification. Your charity, ASPCA, recently received a quarterly donation of $477,482.69 thanks to customers shopping at smile.amazon.com.

To date, AmazonSmile has donated a total of:
    $5,922,559.03 to ASPCA
    $134,890,393.33 to all charities"
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Amazon are a pariah, useful but a pariah.

I buy the least possible off them.

They pay the minimum of Tax in all their business so we all have to make up the difference with our Taxes.

So I am very sceptical about them paying $5.9M to charity, it is you the customers who are paying.

Why not buy local and support your own local Charities via donations or even by helping to fund raise?

Online retailers are killing off High Street shops because those shops cannot compete with the scale of Amazon.

So yeah I for one avoid buying of Amazon.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Amazon are also my first choice for most things. The 'high street' are more expensive, often have prehistoric return policies and are just not enjoyable places to shop even when they are open (which on Sundays is just for a few measly hours in the UK even though Sundays are the most practical time to shop in the 21st century). For electrical goods, clothes, books and quite a lot of foods, I would not miss them if they disappeared. Ukulele shops are sacrosanct however. I have not bought one without seeing it in person first so they can stay as bricks and mortar

As for charitable contributions, Amazon are free to do so. It doesn't matter that they can write it off against the very limited tax they do pay. I do not have a problem with that either. I have not heard of Amazon smile before but having a quick look, there doesn't seem to be as much on offer there.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Mya Moe Maple & Spruce Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    As for charitable contributions, Amazon are free to do so. It doesn't matter that they can write it off against the very limited tax they do pay. I do not have a problem with that either. I have not heard of Amazon smile before but having a quick look, there doesn't seem to be as much on offer there.
    There is no limitation to the smile.amazon site. That's where I buy everything from Amazon.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    There is no limitation to the smile.amazon site. That's where I buy everything from Amazon.
    Ah, got it now, thanks. Just five charities to choose from here.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Mya Moe Maple & Spruce Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

Not to get into the Amazon argument, which, sadly, I agree that they are as destructive as Walmart, the banking industry, and most other aspects of capitalism--while being nearly unable to avoid shopping there--you can request that they add small and/or local charities. I did, and they did. It may have been one they planned to add, but it's worth a try.

I look on ebay first, probably not any better, but I also look for buy it now and make sure it has free shipping.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Yeah, I wouldn't know. I shop on Amazon.ca and the prices are sometimes decent, sometimes ridiculously expensive. I prefer local, but some things you just can't find locally. For online, there's often better deals to be had than Amazon Canada.
    Glenn

In the 20 years I've lived at my present address, there have been no local retailers here that carry well over half of what I'm interested in, and can readily find on Amazon, so yeah, I shop there quite a bit. I check out the online competition, too, and some are great for some specialized things, but for shopping in general, Amazon usually has everyone beat, even eBay (unless I'm looking for obscure and/or vintage). And with shopping online, there is also the nice added feature of not having to drive around on wild goose chases anymore.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    I'll only buy ukes from Amazon if there has been some unbelievable price glitch. I doubt the best instruments (for the most reputable brands) are going to Amazon, you can bet the instruments aren't stored in properly humidified (possibly not even temperature-controlled) facilities, and the company uses its gorilla size to stomp out competition and evade taxes. The charity angle is just a ploy to try to make people feel warm and fuzzy about being used: if you really care, donate yourself, not pennies but dollars (or pounds, etc.).
    My sentiments, exactly.
    I won't say more.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information