Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping on Amazon

I'm pretty much in bed with Amazon. I mean, I have no choice. They sell more of my books that all the other distributors combined. They treat me pretty good and they've never tried to undercut me in any way. What else can I say.
    Last edited by Rllink; 06-12-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

When I first experienced Amazon like ten years ago, I was amazed.
    The money I could save on the books I needed for my study was significant for a student.
    I could get books that I couldnt find in Denmark otherwise.
    And the assortment of other stuff is also impressive.

Now when the tax evation strategies, poor employee conditions etc., I am not that proud of shopping there.
    Also I am not that fond of not dealing with the vendor directly. You fill your basket and then discovery that the items are from two or three different vendors, with multiple shipping fees. It is difficult to ask the vendors questions, and you don't know if you can trust their quality.

Fortunately, the choice is not between Amazon and physical stores. There are many specialized online stores with good assortment and costumer service. Of course, to find them you depend on who paid enough money to Google to get in your search results. And you don't really know how they treat their employees either. But you would think a smaller shop had less gap between the bosses and the employees. They might charge slightly more than an Amazon suppler, but still way less than a physical shop. And assortment is more important to me unless I am shopping for something expensive.

I can't say that I never shop on Amazon, but I will usually try to find a specialized online shop first.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 06-12-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Most Ukulele accessories - cases, straps, stands, some strings etc are almost always cheaper on Amazon so I would look there first. I was looking at mini amps there yesterday - much cheaper than the high street and with free next day delivery too. I'd be nuts to get on a bus and go to the high street to see if they even had one available and then pay more for it.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    Most Ukulele accessories - cases, straps, stands, some strings etc are almost always cheaper on Amazon so I would look there first. I was looking at mini amps there yesterday - much cheaper than the high street and with free next day delivery too. I'd be nuts to get on a bus and go to the high street to see if they even had one available and then pay more for it.
    The alternative is not necessarily to get on a bus and go to high street.
    Most people on this forum buy their ukuleles online, due to the better assortment than on "high street". But not always from Amazon, usually from a reputable ukulele shop.
    And yes, strings and straps don't require setup, and if you know the brand it should be safe to buy from anything but a bogus site. But rather than buying through Amazon, not knowing the vendor and not knowing if the pictures cheat a little on how the strap looks etc - I would look to a big shop like Thomann in the EU, perhaps Guitar Center i the US (I hear those mentioned a lot), or another big box music shop rather than through Amazon. That is, if they are significantly cheaper than the small ukulele shops on these accessories, which is not always the case.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Well most online dealers don't offer free next day or sometimes even same day delivery and don't have as simple and pain free a returns policy as Amazon. There are plenty of online musical equipment dealers of course but very few offer as complete a service.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post

Now when the tax evation strategies, poor employee conditions etc., I am not that proud of shopping there.
    As a general rule, businesses do all they can to avoid paying taxes, and they see no reason to treat their employees well. Employees are a necessary evil, and they must tolerate them. On the other hand, those few businesses that pay well and treat their employees right also make a profit.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    Well most online dealers don't offer free next day or sometimes even same day delivery and don't have as simple and pain free a returns policy as Amazon. There are plenty of online musical equipment dealers of course but very few offer as complete a service.
    I've never bought a ukulele from them, but for other music related items, Sweetwater offers the best customer service I've ever experienced. Something as minor as buying a tuner from them has you treated you just spent a million dollars there and you're their favorite customer. They recently tried to help me when I contacted them about something that it turns out they don't even sell. That didn't stop them from trying to help me figure out what I needed and finding another place to get it.

That's good to know. I haven't found anywhere like that in the UK. I only have negative experiences with big online musical instrument shops here. The dealer I go to for actual ukuleles has an amazing online and bricks and mortor venue and offer unsurpassed service but for accessories they are not so good and can only offer a limited range.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I've never bought a ukulele from them, but for other music related items, Sweetwater offers the best customer service I've ever experienced. Something as minor as buying a tuner from them has you treated you just spent a million dollars there and you're their favorite customer. They recently tried to help me when I contacted them about something that it turns out they don't even sell. That didn't stop them from trying to help me figure out what I needed and finding another place to get it.
    We deal with Sweetwater a lot. In fact, almost all of our sound equipment comes from them. Their customer service is par excellence, on a level with Mim's Ukes.
    I'll admit, if I can't check out a certain book from our library, and can't find it at Barnes and Noble, I'll buy it off Amazon. That's about it.
    Wish I had known about them for nursing school. When I tried to sell my books back after graduation, the college store would only buy back one. GRRR.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    As a general rule, businesses do all they can to avoid paying taxes, and they see no reason to treat their employees well. Employees are a necessary evil, and they must tolerate them. On the other hand, those few businesses that pay well and treat their employees right also make a profit.
    Yes, I worked off and on for a number of years with a local business like that. I worked for him part time which was convenient for me.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information