Another Timms on eBay

Not much activity yet, wonder how much will it go for, the last one was bought at BIN and the previous went over $900 I think

OK, maybe someone can help me here. The used one at Gryphon is $650, and has not sold. People are spending considerably more at auction. Why hasn't someone snapped this one up?

(I have no connection to that instrument or the seller, just an observer)

OK, maybe someone can help me here. The used one at Gryphon is $650, and has not sold. People are spending considerably more at auction. Why hasn't someone snapped this one up?

From Kerneltime's previous posts, there was a somewhat big difference between the sound of his 3 Timms. Maybe the perception is that the one at Gryphon is the least pleasing one. That is my perception, though I am not interested in purchasing a Timms. I think it languished unsold on the Marketplace before ending up at Gryphon.

The auction is worldwide and Timms likely is well-known in Europe. Many of the forum members that want a Timms now have one (except you).

I actually went to Gryphon a few weeks ago to try the Timms (and the Pohaku concert). It sounded wonderful and appearance was fine if you do not do a critical inspection for any little flaw or wear that might distinguish it from new. If I were in the market for Timms, I would consider this rather than go through the eBay auction.

... just looked and do not see it listed on the Gryphon site anymore. But they do have a Collins UC1 that may demand a visit.

From Kerneltime's previous posts, there was a somewhat big difference between the sound of his 3 Timms. Maybe the perception is that the one at Gryphon is the least pleasing one. That is my perception, though I am not interested in purchasing a Timms. I think it languished unsold on the Marketplace before ending up at Gryphon.
That is incorrect.. Ken Timms is a remarkably consistent builder. I had this and then I landed up winning the 17 fret version. I prefer the longer fretboard, some others prefer 12 frets over 17.
If any one is skeptical as to why it is being sold, the only reason is I got greedy and bit off more than I needed.
I plan to keep the 17 fret Cuban and 17 fret Koa, I also have 3 12 fret Ken Timms (2 Cuban and 1 older lighter grain mahogany). The lighter color mahogany has a different sound that all the Cubans. The Cubans sound very very similar. I had 2 12 fret Cubans as I wanted to own more than one and try them out.. after having owned 5 Ken Timms, I can with confidence say that he has amazing quality control.
Also, the one at Gryphon was never posted in the marketplace..
The best part is that you can go to Gryphon if you are local and try it out.
2019 was my UAS year, I landed up owning 5 vintages, 5 Ken Timms, 1 TinGuitar, 1 Cripple Creek. There is not a single soprano on that list that i would hesitate to keep but I don’t need these many sopranos.. My decision to keep specific sopranos has to with uniqueness of sound or the fretboard size.

Last edited:
That is incorrect.. Ken Timms is a remarkably consistent builder. I had this and then I landed up winning the 17 fret version. I prefer the longer fretboard, some others prefer 12 frets over 17.
If any one is skeptical as to why it is being sold, the only reason is I got greedy and bit off more than I needed.
I plan to keep the 17 fret Cuban and 17 fret Koa, I also have 3 12 fret Ken Timms (2 Cuban and 1 older lighter grain mahogany). The lighter color mahogany has a different sound that all the Cubans. The Cubans sound very very similar. I had 2 12 fret Cubans as I wanted to own more than one and try them out.. after having owned 5 Ken Timms, I can with confidence say that he has amazing quality control.
Also, the one at Gryphon was never posted in the marketplace..
The best part is that you can go to Gryphon if you are local and try it out.
2019 was my UAS year, I landed up owning 5 vintages, 5 Ken Timms, 1 TinGuitar, 1 Cripple Creek. There is not a single soprano on that list that i would hesitate to keep but I don’t need these many sopranos.. My decision to keep specific sopranos has to with uniqueness of sound or the fretboard size.

Don't desire to sift through old posts, but my amazingly good memory tells me one of them "barked", another you got subsequently had a sound you preferred, and one went up in the marketplace shortly after. The one you paid about $850 for wasn't a favourite.

Don't desire to sift through old posts, but my amazingly good memory tells me one of them "barked", another you got subsequently had a sound you preferred, and one went up in the marketplace shortly after. The one you paid about $850 for wasn't a favourite.
Barked was the older lighter golden color mahogany and it is a term used as a compliment for sopranos.. check gotaukulele reviews. I apologize if the term was confusing. The Cubans are a bit warmer than the lighter sopranos.
I paid a very wide range of prices for them due to the bidding nature of the sale and when I could I took the BIN price. I have paid more than BIN and less than BIN.. I do prefer the warmer sound of Cubans to the brighter “barkier” lighter mohogany but if you want a closer to vintage tone then the lighter barkier soprano is spot on. If you wish I can do a sound sample to help explain.. as I mentioned earlier, I plan to keep the lighter mahogany soprano as it sounds very different than Cubans and within the Cubans I am keeping the 17 fret one.. the Koa one is sublime as well and is a 17 fret. If there was a Ken Timms that I had not liked I would not have risked buying more.. there are many other ukes I could have gone for.
i never put the lighter mahogany for sale which is the one I referred to as having a bark (which is a good thing)

Last edited:
Barked was the older lighter golden color mahogany and it is a term used as a compliment for sopranos.. check gotaukulele reviews. I apologize if the term was confusing. The Cubans are a bit warmer than the lighter sopranos.
I paid a very wide range of prices for them due to the bidding nature of the sale and when I could I took the BIN price. I have paid more than BIN and less than BIN.. I do prefer the warmer sound of Cubans to the brighter “barkier” lighter mohogany but if you want a closer to vintage tone then the lighter barkier soprano is spot on. If you wish I can do a sound sample to help explain.. as I mentioned earlier, I plan to keep the lighter mahogany soprano as it sounds very different than Cubans and within the Cubans I am keeping the 17 fret one.. the Koa one is sublime as well and is a 17 fret. If there was a Ken Timms that I had not liked I would not have risked buying more.. there are many other ukes I could have gone for.
i never put the lighter mahogany for sale which is the one I referred to as having a bark (which is a good thing)

NEVER said "barked" wasn't a good thing, just that you described one that way. NEVER said that you thought they didn't sound good, just that you sampled a few to get the sound you preferred and sold off the others, which, if we agree with you, would also be our second choice.

NEVER said "barked" wasn't a good thing, just that you described one that way. NEVER said that you thought they didn't sound good, just that you sampled a few to get the sound you preferred and sold off the others, which, if we agree with you, would also be our second choice.
Got it! What you missed is me saying that the builds are consistent and given a variant of wood, they sound similar enough to not being able to tell one from the other (I have tried). I kept a uke based on number of frets and not the sound.. the lighter mahogany is a different wood and it sounds different.. the Cubans are very similar. If you can meet in person I don’t mind you trying them out.. if I had not won the 17 fret soprano, I would have kept the first 12 fret I got due me liking the serial number and having upgraded to Gotoh..

Last edited:
Got it! What you missed is me saying that the builds are consistent and given a variant of wood, they sound similar enough to not being able to tell one from the other (I have tried). I kept a uke based on number of frets and not the sound.. the lighter mahogany is a different wood and it sounds different.. the Cubans are very similar. If you can meet in person I don’t mind you trying them out.. if I had not won the 17 fret soprano, I would have kept the first 12 fret I got due me liking the serial number and having upgraded to Gotoh..

I get that, however that isn't what you said before when you were comparing them. I remember these things.

Lovely as always. His are always tempting

Top Bottom