Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Online Instruction Preferences

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Online Instruction Preferences

    I'm curious. Have any of you looked at the online courses being offered by Brett McQueen, James Hill, Aldrine Guerrero, and Chee/Maisel? I'm not looking to sign up for one, but I curious about which may be better - if there is such a thing.

    If I had the discipline to begin a course and stick with it, I'd be a better player by now.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    I've tried a few of the online courses, but they're not teaching things I want to learn. I'm sure that they're structured in a way that gives you solid basics to move forward. but since this is just a hobby for me, and my time for playing is limited, I want to focus on what I want to play, and not spend my time right now on things that don't appeal to me. Maybe if/when I retire, I'd have more time to learn other things, too, so I haven't ruled out ever doing an online course again.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    3,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I've tried a few of the online courses, but they're not teaching things I want to learn. I'm sure that they're structured in a way that gives you solid basics to move forward. but since this is just a hobby for me, and my time for playing is limited, I want to focus on what I want to play, and not spend my time right now on things that don't appeal to me. Maybe if/when I retire, I'd have more time to learn other things, too, so I haven't ruled out ever doing an online course again.
    I think that's the way it is with many people. A course like that has to cover everything, but most people don't need everything, and searching and skipping can be a nuisance. People sometimes ask me where they can get instruction, and I'd like to have an answer handy.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I've tried a few of the online courses, but they're not teaching things I want to learn. I'm sure that they're structured in a way that gives you solid basics to move forward. but since this is just a hobby for me, and my time for playing is limited, I want to focus on what I want to play, and not spend my time right now on things that don't appeal to me. Maybe if/when I retire, I'd have more time to learn other things, too, so I haven't ruled out ever doing an online course again.
    I’m pretty much the same, I try to focus on areas of my playing that I know need strengthening, rather that a large structured course. I mostly use tutorials from YouTube, there are so many to choose from and they cover every imaginable technique & style of playing
    Happy to be an Intermediate Newbie, Penny

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I think that's the way it is with many people. A course like that has to cover everything, but most people don't need everything, and searching and skipping can be a nuisance. People sometimes ask me where they can get instruction, and I'd like to have an answer handy.
    I don't think there is a handy answer. It probably depends on lots of factors, like what music background they already have, if any, and if they have played ukulele at all yet, and what their goals are. Do they want to learn a couple chords and strum to singing? Do they want to play like Jake? Do they want to play Hawaiian music? Classical? Pop? Rock? Jazz? Blues?
    I think that you would need different courses to fit those different goals, skill levels, and styles.

    UU has its own online courses, too, and IIRC, covers a variety of skills, styles, and so on, and that might be one place to suggest to people.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Last year I did James Hill's The Ukulele Way. It is an organized course. I feel it gave me a solid foundation to build on. The song choices are not ones I prefer but the concept he teaches are excellent.

    I just signed up for Chee/Maisel last month. I am starting from ground up again to review my basics and correct any bad habit I might have developed. At first I thought the beginner course will be too easy, but just the first few finger warm up exercises proved to be challenging and helpful. I am about 75% through the beginner course, then there is the intermediate and advance courses. I like this program because you can submit videos and Chee or Maisel will give you video feedback. I have already received some great critiques.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

    Joseph

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    on a sunny FL beach
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    The Ukulele Way is excellent for structured fingerstyle “chord/melody” instruction.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    Last year I did James Hill's The Ukulele Way. It is an organized course. I feel it gave me a solid foundation to build on. The song choices are not ones I prefer but the concept he teaches are excellent.

    I just signed up for Chee/Maisel last month. I am starting from ground up again to review my basics and correct any bad habit I might have developed. At first I thought the beginner course will be too easy, but just the first few finger warm up exercises proved to be challenging and helpful. I am about 75% through the beginner course, then there is the intermediate and advance courses. I like this program because you can submit videos and Chee or Maisel will give you video feedback. I have already received some great critiques.
    Thank you for sharing these recommendations Joseph I may just look into these courses in the near future Currently, I'm still just taking little baby steps, & having lots of fun learning the basics.
    Happy to be an Intermediate Newbie, Penny

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    3,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    So what is it you're most interested in learning? Though I'm not a big name, perhaps I can help, and it wouldn't even cost you anything but effort.
    Thanks for the offer. I'm interested in learning everything. I wasn't asking for myself, though. People in my group sometimes ask what's a good online source for learning. I'd like to have a better answer than, "Uh."
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Posts
    242

    Default

    While I haven't taken any of Brett McQueen's full online courses, I have watched enough of his individual videos to know that he provides a wide variety of ukulele instruction that can be useful for both beginners and those beyond. He does it in a clear, measured way, and has a very patient teaching style. His pace is well suited to beginners. For the online courses, he also answers participant questions and provides personal feedback, if they are struggling with something specific to the course.
    Jan D
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha KCO-10 (acacia concert Opio)
    Ohana TK-35CG (mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •