Online Instruction Preferences

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I'm curious. Have any of you looked at the online courses being offered by Brett McQueen, James Hill, Aldrine Guerrero, and Chee/Maisel? I'm not looking to sign up for one, but I curious about which may be better - if there is such a thing.

If I had the discipline to begin a course and stick with it, I'd be a better player by now.

I've tried a few of the online courses, but they're not teaching things I want to learn. I'm sure that they're structured in a way that gives you solid basics to move forward. but since this is just a hobby for me, and my time for playing is limited, I want to focus on what I want to play, and not spend my time right now on things that don't appeal to me. Maybe if/when I retire, I'd have more time to learn other things, too, so I haven't ruled out ever doing an online course again.

I've tried a few of the online courses, but they're not teaching things I want to learn. I'm sure that they're structured in a way that gives you solid basics to move forward. but since this is just a hobby for me, and my time for playing is limited, I want to focus on what I want to play, and not spend my time right now on things that don't appeal to me. Maybe if/when I retire, I'd have more time to learn other things, too, so I haven't ruled out ever doing an online course again.

I think that's the way it is with many people. A course like that has to cover everything, but most people don't need everything, and searching and skipping can be a nuisance. People sometimes ask me where they can get instruction, and I'd like to have an answer handy.

I think that's the way it is with many people. A course like that has to cover everything, but most people don't need everything, and searching and skipping can be a nuisance. People sometimes ask me where they can get instruction, and I'd like to have an answer handy.

I don't think there is a handy answer. It probably depends on lots of factors, like what music background they already have, if any, and if they have played ukulele at all yet, and what their goals are. Do they want to learn a couple chords and strum to singing? Do they want to play like Jake? Do they want to play Hawaiian music? Classical? Pop? Rock? Jazz? Blues?
I think that you would need different courses to fit those different goals, skill levels, and styles.

UU has its own online courses, too, and IIRC, covers a variety of skills, styles, and so on, and that might be one place to suggest to people.

Last year I did James Hill's The Ukulele Way. It is an organized course. I feel it gave me a solid foundation to build on. The song choices are not ones I prefer but the concept he teaches are excellent.

I just signed up for Chee/Maisel last month. I am starting from ground up again to review my basics and correct any bad habit I might have developed. At first I thought the beginner course will be too easy, but just the first few finger warm up exercises proved to be challenging and helpful. I am about 75% through the beginner course, then there is the intermediate and advance courses. I like this program because you can submit videos and Chee or Maisel will give you video feedback. I have already received some great critiques.

So what is it you're most interested in learning? Though I'm not a big name, perhaps I can help, and it wouldn't even cost you anything but effort.

Thanks for the offer. I'm interested in learning everything. I wasn't asking for myself, though. People in my group sometimes ask what's a good online source for learning. I'd like to have a better answer than, "Uh." :eek:

While I haven't taken any of Brett McQueen's full online courses, I have watched enough of his individual videos to know that he provides a wide variety of ukulele instruction that can be useful for both beginners and those beyond. He does it in a clear, measured way, and has a very patient teaching style. His pace is well suited to beginners. For the online courses, he also answers participant questions and provides personal feedback, if they are struggling with something specific to the course.
Jan D

While I haven't taken any of Brett McQueen's full online courses, I have watched enough of his individual videos to know that he provides a wide variety of ukulele instruction that can be useful for both beginners and those beyond. He does it in a clear, measured way, and has a very patient teaching style. His pace is well suited to beginners. For the online courses, he also answers participant questions and provides personal feedback, if they are struggling with something specific to the course.
Jan D

I saw him playing a beautiful uke, and I did some research to find out what it was. It was a Kala cedar slothead tenor. I bought one and so did a friend. It's got to be one of the best bargains in the uke world. I had a similar Pono, and when it came time to sell something, it was a toss-up between those two. The Kala simply sounded better, so the Pono went to a new home.

Last year I did James Hill's The Ukulele Way. It is an organized course. I feel it gave me a solid foundation to build on. The song choices are not ones I prefer but the concept he teaches are excellent.

I just signed up for Chee/Maisel last month. I am starting from ground up again to review my basics and correct any bad habit I might have developed. At first I thought the beginner course will be too easy, but just the first few finger warm up exercises proved to be challenging and helpful. I am about 75% through the beginner course, then there is the intermediate and advance courses. I like this program because you can submit videos and Chee or Maisel will give you video feedback. I have already received some great critiques.

The Ukulele Way is reasonably priced at $9/month but the Chee/Maisel course is substantially more at $105 for 3 months. That is quite a bit more :-(

The Ukulele Way is reasonably priced at $9/month but the Chee/Maisel course is substantially more at $105 for 3 months. That is quite a bit more :-(

I took advantage of Chee/Maisel (Artistworks) Memorial Day Promotion $179 for 12 months. Averaged to be $14.91 per month. Otherwise, their regular price is a bit steep.

I took advantage of Chee/Maisel (Artistworks) Memorial Day Promotion $179 for 12 months. Averaged to be $14.91 per month. Otherwise, their regular price is a bit steep.

Thanks. I'll be looking near July 4th. I did sign up for the James Hill Ukulele Way. Now it's a matter of follow through. I'd like courses on music theory too as a way of increasing my understanding.

I enjoyed and learned a lot from James Hill's The Ukulele Way. I am currently very impressed and enjoying RockClass 101 and signed up for a year.

I enjoyed and learned a lot from James Hill's The Ukulele Way. I am currently very impressed and enjoying RockClass 101 and signed up for a year.

I really like Rock Class 101 as well. The songs they have appeal to me quite a bit as well, which helps.

Has anyone tried the lessons through the Ukulele Underground Learn to Play program? And if so are there holiday sales?

I absolutely LOVE rockclass101. I have learned sooo much. Additionally, the monthly challenges to win that Kanilea have gotten me to try songs that I wouldn't normally have, but have been a lot of fun and have also improved my playing. This month I am doing Wipeout, and I swear my left hand has gotten stronger from the finger position movements. Are you doing this month's challenge? What song did you pick?

Top Bottom