Kala Comfort Edge. Where’d they go?

rorym

Reaction score
It appears Kala is no longer making any comfort edge ukuleles. Does anyone know why? I would strongly consider one for my next uke upgrade if they were still available.

Are there any reasonable alternatives? My inner right arm would love to know.

I'm more concerned about their making the fretboards of walnut lately. Ugh! Their older models are more attractive to own than the new. Ironic.

bratshe

More than likely, they didn't sell enough to keep making the model featuring them. I have customs and all the recent ones have one. They do make a difference for me. There are aftermarket edges available. Mostly for banjos.

More expensive to make.

I don't like walnut fretboards either. Many of the rosewood and ebony boards are being dyed to make them darker and more uniform in looks. The dye comes off when I condition the fretboard with Music Nomad Fret Oil.

It appears Kala is no longer making any comfort edge ukuleles. Does anyone know why? I would strongly consider one for my next uke upgrade if they were still available.

Are there any reasonable alternatives? My inner right arm would love to know.

I'm with you and even looked on the used market for their comfort edge uke. We need to contact Kala and request this feature. We have nothing to lose :)

I'm with you and even looked on the used market for their comfort edge uke. We need to contact Kala and request this feature. We have nothing to lose :)

I could not find an email address on the Kala website. It’s either well hidden, or they don’t want to hear from anyone except via twitter or something.

More than likely, they didn't sell enough to keep making the model featuring them.

This will be the correct answer.
Its just manufacturing economics. Its a somewhat expensive feature to add to a budget instrument and if they aren't selling 1000's+ of them then it just doesn't make any economic sense to continue making them.
It was an experiment on their behalf that hasn't paid off.

I think World of Ukes still has one / a few; perhaps the Southern Ukulele Store too

Thanks for the suggestion. Right now I'm sticking with sales from the US. I did get a ukulele from a UK shop (not one of the ones you listed) and am having trouble with their honoring a problem with an instrument. So I'm buying from vendors I know/trust or Ebay and maybe Reverb. At least then I'm more familiar with the laws. Although I would buy from a forum member. I guess I'm just am not buying from overseas right now.

Top Bottom