NVUD: 1950s Harmony Baritone

YogiTom

Reaction score
This is what I am selling my Moon Bird to make room for, believe it or not.

I found it at a vintage music shop in Portland on a recent trip with my wife and she agreed that it was different enough from the rest of the herd to warrant buying, provided I let one go, too.

For $200, including a hardshell, archtop Kala case that fits it like a glove, I’d say this is my favorite “steal”. Now I just have to re-learn what chords are where... :rolleyes:

Please excuse my pitchy singing and improvised finger picking...it wasn’t planned, and I think you can tell. :p

Last edited:
Enjoy your new uke!

You married a wonderful woman... I bet she will continue to agree that you can buy a $200 uke if you sell another for $1000.

For $200, including a hardshell, archtop Kala case that fits it like a glove, I’d say this is my favorite “steal”. Now I just have to re-learn what chords are where... :rolleyes:
Nice find. You don't have to re-learn chords if you don't want to. I still think of my baritones as if they were in GCEA. I'll transpose the chord sheet when I need to be in the same key as another's instrument

Nice find. You don't have to re-learn chords if you don't want to. I still think of my baritones as if they were in GCEA. I'll transpose the chord sheet when I need to be in the same key as another's instrument

I’m doing it the same way for the most part, but it can make singing a challenge. Some songs it actually feels better to play as if I am tuned GCEA, but others push the vocals out of my natural range. This one fell in the latter category. :)

Congrats on your barry, Tom. Love the fiction tuners look. Ukes come and go as your ukulele journey take different paths than you expected it to go.

Congrats on your barry, Tom. Love the fiction tuners look. Ukes come and go as your ukulele journey take different paths than you expected it to go.

Thanks; it has been a fun journey so far, and it can only get better from here.

First off congratulations on your baritone, I really enjoy the tonal difference compared to a "standard" uke. Be warned though, baritones can lead to guitars, ask me how I know.

Now the topic about one in one out......your math doesn't work. You are selling a $1000 instrument but this Harmony cost you $200. By my reconig you can buy 5 instruments at $200 because 5×200 = 1000. Just saying ;)

First off congratulations on your baritone, I really enjoy the tonal difference compared to a "standard" uke. Be warned though, baritones can lead to guitars, ask me how I know.

Now the topic about one in one out......your math doesn't work. You are selling a $1000 instrument but this Harmony cost you $200. By my reckoning you can buy 5 instruments at $200 each because 5×200 = 1000. Just saying ;)

Now the topic about one in one out......your math doesn't work. You are selling a $1000 instrument but this Harmony cost you $200. By my reconig you can buy 5 instruments at $200 because 5×200 = 1000. Just saying ;)

I was never the best at math...no wonder my wife was so cool with it! :p

And, to be fair, that Moon Bird still hasn’t flown to a new home, sooo....yeah. Haha

It really isn’t too hard to pick up the Baritone chords. You already know all the chord shapes. I struggled at first but now I can switch back and forth with some ease. After a minute or two playing either the Baritone or Tenor my brain switches to that tuning and the chords find themselves OK.

$200/uke * 5 ukes =/= 1 $1000 uke

Here's how the math works:

$200/uke * 5 ukes + $500/cu.ft. unhappy spouse surcharge = $6,000 'ukulele bonfire

On a serious note, that Harmony really rounds out your 'ukulele collection. It's got a nice growl on some of those open chords.

Last edited:
I met a fellow who tuned his Kala bari to GCEA.
I asked him if it had a truss rod in the neck....

I met a fellow who tuned his Kala bari to GCEA.
I asked him if it had a truss rod in the neck....

GCEA an octave lower would work fine, with the right strings. And would be much easier on the neck. :)

bratsche

Top Bottom