Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackbird Clara v Blackbird Farallon

Default Blackbird Clara v Blackbird Farallon

I have a Clara which I love but now also tempted by a Farallon. Anyone else got two? I can't make my mind up whether to get the Farallon or another style of tenor. Thoughts appreciated. I note that on a low G a top sound port is recommended for the Farallon.
    Butterfly Soprano
    Kanilea Islander Concert
    Blackbird Clara Low G

I have the opposite problem. I have a Farallon which I love. Now, I'm thinking, do I need a Clara?

The two appear to fit into a similar niche for each size. So the answer really is whether you are playing the other size regularly and often AND are you dissatisfied with your current lineup that a new Blackbird will fit into.

Not owning either but interested in the topic, HMS has a video comparing pineapple shaped soundboards (like the Clara) with standard soundboards (like the Farallon). That might be helpful. The shape discussion is around the 15 minute mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkKSZ6...dex=10&t=4000s

Quote Originally Posted by dayslikethis View Post
    I have a Clara which I love but now also tempted by a Farallon. Anyone else got two? I can't make my mind up whether to get the Farallon or another style of tenor. Thoughts appreciated. I note that on a low G a top sound port is recommended for the Farallon.
    I own both ! They are actually very similar in tone.
    I have the Farallon first then I bought the Clara
    Itís really depend on what other ukes do you have. If you donít have any other tenor and you like the tone of the Clara well enough then by all means order the Farallon.
    Itís just that they are still not as good as my custom built uke that are made with wood. My suggestion is buy a wood uke for the tenor. You really donít need two of the same made.

Thanks all for your feedback to date - very much appreciated. I'll update once I make a decision
    Butterfly Soprano
    Kanilea Islander Concert
    Blackbird Clara Low G

Only one left in the store so decision must be made sooner rather than later!
    Butterfly Soprano
    Kanilea Islander Concert
    Blackbird Clara Low G

This is just my opinion. I think the Clara sounds much better than the Farallon. It’s much warmer sounding and much more pleasant. The Farallon is nice but can be abrasive at times. I have had 3. And sold 3. I would have kept the Clara but I just can’t seem to get used to concert scale. I bought three ukuleles after selling the last Farallon. I don’t really think the Farallon sounds like a wood instrument. Some say it does. Good luck

An electric keyboard doesn’t sound like a grand piano either, but are very popular.
    I feel much more comfortable having my blackbird in a warm car or the overhead in a plane than any of my $$ wood ukuleles...

I have had both and still own a Farallon. I think they both sound fantastic in either reentrant or linear tuning, and the ease of care is a nice benefit. I sold both Clara's I've owned with my only issue being I find the Clara very awkward to hold. I only play seated and don't use straps.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.óVoltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thread Information