Blackbird Clara v Blackbird Farallon

dayslikethis

Reaction score
I have a Clara which I love but now also tempted by a Farallon. Anyone else got two? I can't make my mind up whether to get the Farallon or another style of tenor. Thoughts appreciated. I note that on a low G a top sound port is recommended for the Farallon.

I have the opposite problem. I have a Farallon which I love. Now, I'm thinking, do I need a Clara?

The two appear to fit into a similar niche for each size. So the answer really is whether you are playing the other size regularly and often AND are you dissatisfied with your current lineup that a new Blackbird will fit into.

I have a Clara which I love but now also tempted by a Farallon. Anyone else got two? I can't make my mind up whether to get the Farallon or another style of tenor. Thoughts appreciated. I note that on a low G a top sound port is recommended for the Farallon.

I own both ! They are actually very similar in tone.
I have the Farallon first then I bought the Clara
It’s really depend on what other ukes do you have. If you don’t have any other tenor and you like the tone of the Clara well enough then by all means order the Farallon.
It’s just that they are still not as good as my custom built uke that are made with wood. My suggestion is buy a wood uke for the tenor. You really don’t need two of the same made.

Thanks all for your feedback to date - very much appreciated. I'll update once I make a decision :music:

This is just my opinion. I think the Clara sounds much better than the Farallon. It’s much warmer sounding and much more pleasant. The Farallon is nice but can be abrasive at times. I have had 3. And sold 3. I would have kept the Clara but I just can’t seem to get used to concert scale. I bought three ukuleles after selling the last Farallon. I don’t really think the Farallon sounds like a wood instrument. Some say it does. Good luck

An electric keyboard doesn’t sound like a grand piano either, but are very popular.
I feel much more comfortable having my blackbird in a warm car or the overhead in a plane than any of my $$ wood ukuleles...

I have had both and still own a Farallon. I think they both sound fantastic in either reentrant or linear tuning, and the ease of care is a nice benefit. I sold both Clara's I've owned with my only issue being I find the Clara very awkward to hold. I only play seated and don't use straps.

I have both. An early Clara was my traveling and beach uke. Always kept in low g, but changed to high g and like the voice better. Went to Worth Browns and love the sound. Bought a used Farralon. Strung it with a set of Orca low g, great voice and volume. I like them both, but prefer the tenor scale.

I haven't played either but want to. As a tenor guy, I gravitate to Farallon. I have a Tiny Tenor so LOVE the shape and size. I think I could really like a Clara long neck <g> but with molds costing what they cost, never see that happening. I like the whole TT thing with concert size but tenor scale length. I'd love a TT made of EKOA but of course never see that happening. Each city I got to, I'm on the look out to play Clara and Farallon. I have four nice all wood tenor with one being a custom so I know that reference point. I like the sound clips of the Farallon and Clara. I think only playing, would I know what I like. Good comments from SoloRule who has them both. Hope to be able to try them some day!

I have had both and still own a Farallon. I think they both sound fantastic in either reentrant or linear tuning, and the ease of care is a nice benefit. I sold both Clara's I've owned with my only issue being I find the Clara very awkward to hold. I only play seated and don't use straps.

Ha ha Eddie then that’s you own fault for not using a strap!:D. Not Clara fault.

Took a while but finally got my Farallon Low G and side sound port and Misi pick up. My goodness it's loud. I have to say I found it easier to play than the Clara given my fingers! It's very comfortable to hold. Lovely tone and sustain. I've now changed the Clara to high G. Loving my Blackbirds - may well also go back to a low G on the Clara also - time will tell :)

Took a while but finally got my Farallon Low G and side sound port and Misi pick up. My goodness it's loud. I have to say I found it easier to play than the Clara given my fingers! It's very comfortable to hold. Lovely tone and sustain. I've now changed the Clara to high G. Loving my Blackbirds - may well also go back to a low G on the Clara also - time will tell :)

Congratulations and enjoy your pair of Blackbirds. Well done.

I have the side sound port Farallon and a Clara changed to high G.
Wonderful instruments. Congratulations

Top Bottom