Any Koa Pono owners out there?

raffrox

Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering if there is any Pono koa owners out there? I got my PKT-2E here from Strumdaddy about 12 months ago and have been really enjoying it. There's almost no info on the net or this forum and very few videos of them being played so I thought I'd try find out more about a uke I'm really enjoying. It seems a bit of a mystery uke.

From looking at archived Pono website these were made by Pono until 2008 until koa was kept to the Koolau uke's only. A PKT-2E in 2008 would set you back $955.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080917114659/http://www.koolauukulele.com/pono.html

here's a few pics of mine.
aviary-image-1560478756805.jpg
aviary-image-1560478780290.jpg
aviary-image-1560478675322.jpg

I know the bling isn't for everyone but the grade of koa on these are very nice. They are heavier compared to other brands but they don't 'sound' over engineered to me. From the limited K brand ukes I've had a chance to have a go at, that higher end solid koa sound seems to be there.

I was wondering if there was other koa Pono owners out there?

Very interesting. I didn't know these existed. I think you are fortunate to own one.

Thanks Kenn. It feels like a bit of a unique/uncommon one.

I saw one a few years ago..the tone was great and the Koa was super nice and the price(500.00) direct from Pono was hard to believe not many around now congrats!

Glad to know you are still enjoying it Raff.
In case anyone was wondering, I loved it too, but went over to the vintage side.
Prettiest uke I've had the fortune to own....
Ponos at that time were made in a Javanese factory - but not the current one.
John Kitakis at Ko'olau would know all about it, and responds to emails.

Glad to know you are still enjoying it Raff.
In case anyone was wondering, I loved it too, but went over to the vintage side.
Prettiest uke I've had the fortune to own....
Ponos at that time were made in a Javanese factory - but not the current one.
John Kitakis at Ko'olau would know all about it, and responds to emails.

Thanks Karl. Yep, still very much enjoying the uke :) From what I've read somewhere I think the change in factory was when they stopped using koa for Pono's. Great idea to email John Kitakis.

Hope the Gibson is still going well!

Nice find! I had a PKT-1E for about a year, I thought it was well-built overall (no glue spots in the body, nice bracing etc). My main complaint with it was that it seemed a bit overbuilt and quieter than I was expecting. I tried a bunch of different strings and didn't manage to fall head over heels for the uke no matter how much time I put into it, and eventually flipped it for a newer mango model with a truss rod in the neck and a lighter build. Didn't end up liking that one either so I'm thinking it's just a me vs. Pono thing.

I like the sound and projection of their spruce ukes though so we will see, maybe I'll end up with one of their ukes again down the line...

For all I know, Pono ukes and guitars are still being produced in Bandung, Java (Indonesia). They had a brief period of experimenting with a Chinese factory early on in this decade, but for the longest time, they have been and are still being made in Indonesia.

My Pono MT-E has "made in the Philippines" on the label.

Really, what year was it made? Would love to learn more about this. In all my years of following the Pono brand very closely, I have never heard that they ever built some instruments in the Philippines. China and Java/Indonesia yes, but a google search for "Pono ukulele" and "Philippines" gives me zero results. What I find is that Mele ukuleles are or were made in the Philippines, but not a single clue for Pono. The ones I have seen always stated "Made on the island of Java" or "Made in Indonesia" on the label.

Nice find! I had a PKT-1E for about a year, I thought it was well-built overall (no glue spots in the body, nice bracing etc). My main complaint with it was that it seemed a bit overbuilt and quieter than I was expecting. I tried a bunch of different strings and didn't manage to fall head over heels for the uke no matter how much time I put into it, and eventually flipped it for a newer mango model with a truss rod in the neck and a lighter build. Didn't end up liking that one either so I'm thinking it's just a me vs. Pono thing.

I like the sound and projection of their spruce ukes though so we will see, maybe I'll end up with one of their ukes again down the line...

It's not the first time I've heard that about Pono's. I had a Pono Pro MCPC (solid mahogany) that I bought new that really didn't have the projection that I wanted. Beautifully made but it just didn't seem to sing so I sold it. I'm not sure if Pono uke's might need a bit of time to open up. My PKT-2E seems to have great tone and projection. It's not going to blow your eardrums off. My Maui Music soprano that's around the same age (2008) is much louder for example but it's not a problem at all compared to the MCPC.

I wonder if there are any pono owners who have or might try converting to a strings through bridge. My thinking on this is that a build that doesn’t favor high enough vibrations for volume might be noticeably improved.

Interested in thoughts or experience.

I have a Pono PKT-1 I bought in 2007 and I absolutely love it!
It looks, plays, and sounds great!
I had a MiSi pickup installed and it is my main gig ukulele, it has really held up over the last 12 years.
I have some videos on my YouTube channel if anyone cares, I have used it for several Seasons videos.

I think it is the best value of any ukulele I have owned, if you can find one.
I still regret not buying the six-string tenor the following year when I returned to Scotty's Music where I bought the first one, I did not feel I "needed" it then, I wish I had it today though!

I wonder if there are any pono owners who have or might try converting to a strings through bridge. My thinking on this is that a build that doesn’t favor high enough vibrations for volume might be noticeably improved.

Interested in thoughts or experience.

That's an interesting one. I have admit I've never owned a string through bridge uke before to know what effect this might have.

My koa tenor seems great as far as it projection and volume goes though.

Last edited:
I have a Pono PKT-1 I bought in 2007 and I absolutely love it!
It looks, plays, and sounds great!
I had a MiSi pickup installed and it is my main gig ukulele, it has really held up over the last 12 years.
I have some videos on my YouTube channel if anyone cares, I have used it for several Seasons videos.

I think it is the best value of any ukulele I have owned, if you can find one.
I still regret not buying the six-string tenor the following year when I returned to Scotty's Music where I bought the first one, I did not feel I "needed" it then, I wish I had it today though!

Great to hear about someone else who's a fan :) What's the name of your youtube channel? I'd be keen to check it out.

A 6 string? That would be interesting to hear.

Great to hear about someone else who's a fan :) What's the name of your youtube channel? I'd be keen to check it out.

A 6 string? That would be interesting to hear.

Here are a couple of links:

Top Bottom