Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquila Genuine Gut strings?

Default Aquila Genuine Gut strings?

Has anyone tried these? I’m very interested in trying them out on my vintage ukes, but given I could buy several sets of other strings for the price of one of these I wanted to ask here first.

Follow up question: does anyone know what animal’s guts are used for these strings? I know cat was traditional, but if it is still the case, that will end my curiosity pretty quickly...I feel like my two cats would know and then silently judge me whenever I play the gut strings...
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

To the follow up: Your felines are safe. The only “cat” is in the name. Traditionally from sheep or goat or cow intestine. Cats will judge you anyway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catgut

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    To the follow up: Your felines are safe. The only “cat” is in the name. Traditionally from sheep or goat or cow intestine. Cats will judge you anyway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catgut
    Good to know! I always thought it odd that cat gut was the preferred choice...

And I know using other animal gut isn’t ideal, either, but at least my brain can rationalize it as they are being slaughtered for meat anyway, why let the intestines go to waste?

Though, I suppose shelters often have euthanized cats...

Sorry, this turned much darker than I anticipated!
    Last edited by YogiTom; 06-14-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Well you have to choose your gut carefully, depending on whether you want more of a "meooowwww" or a "baa-aa-aa-aa-aa" or a "moooooooo" sound. Dogs are safe, since nobody wants their ukulele to "ruff! ruff! ruff!"
    Cordoba guilele
    Rebel N.E.O. tenor
    Birger Huber Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
    Well you have to choose your gut carefully, depending on whether you want more of a "meooowwww" or a "baa-aa-aa-aa-aa" or a "moooooooo" sound. Dogs are safe, since nobody wants their ukulele to "ruff! ruff! ruff!"
    I would’ve thought that the classic onomatopoeia of “bark” would be exactly what ukulele players are looking for, though...
    Current UAS fallout:

If you run electric then avoid snakes, weasels and hummingbirds: don't want any hisses, pops, or hums!

Well, my curiosity got the better of me. Added a soprano set to my order and will give them a whirl once they arrive. I’ll report back with an update on the sound the make.
    Current UAS fallout:

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    Has anyone tried these? I’m very interested in trying them out on my vintage ukes, but given I could buy several sets of other strings for the price of one of these I wanted to ask here first.

Follow up question: does anyone know what animal’s guts are used for these strings? I know cat was traditional, but if it is still the case, that will end my curiosity pretty quickly...I feel like my two cats would know and then silently judge me whenever I play the gut strings...
    Knowing cats it might be the first time they actually respected you - if it's even possible for a cat to respect a human ...
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Knowing cats it might be the first time they actually respected you - if it's even possible for a cat to respect a human ...
    They know they're the superior species, and humans live to serve. Happy cat, happy life.
    Cordoba guilele
    Rebel N.E.O. tenor
    Birger Huber Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
    They know they're the superior species, and humans live to serve. Happy cat, happy life.
    As soon as I realized that cats immediately forget what they’ve done and that “punishment” for bad behavior just makes them hate you for being mean, my life with cats has improved exponentially!
    Current UAS fallout:

Thread Information