Overlooked features

On ukuleles with radius fretboards, are the saddles also radiused?

John

Yes the saddles are radiused on every uke I have ever owned with a radiused fretboard, including 2 Ponos. I currently have 11 ukuleles in house with radiused fretboards. When you think about it if the saddle was not radiused the string height or action height would be higher on the outboard strings as the fretboard falls away from the center. This would make playability just terrible. The nut slots are also cut to maintain that same relationship of string height. Looking at the top of nut they are all radiused but I suppose it would not be neccassary as long as the nut slots are cut to the proper depth.

Last edited:
Both nut and saddle are radiused on the Cocobolo tenor. Neither are on my Pono tenors.

Yes the saddles are radiused on every uke I have ever owned with a radiused fretboard, including 2 Ponos.

Interesting lack of consistency. My Pono, which I got from a seller in the marketplace, was originally bought from HMS, and the saddle was not radiused until I radiused it myself ever so slightly. Before, it was easier to fingerpick, but the first string had very uncomfortably high action for my left hand fingers. So it was a trade-off after I first did it. But good in the long run.

Incidentally, this instrument's saddle was also in need of compensation, which I did as well. I'm surprised they let an instrument go out that didn't have comfortable 1st string action or play in tune on all strings, but I've not seen (or noticed) many factory made instruments that had compensated saddles, save for the Romero Creations ones.

bratsche

I like the sound port option a lot to begin with. I have a cheap uke I have barley played with one, but it does seem to make a difference. One thing that just dawned on me, I like to practice on my front porch. At times there are a lot of cars passing and it gets loud enough that I can barely hear my Opio. Which we all know are loud. I was thinking that a sound port would probably be great if you practice outside in noisy areas, when your main concern is just you hearing the notes. Problem is they seem to mostly come on Ukes you wouldn’t take outside. I’m sure they are gonna start showing up on most quality ranges soon. Surprised not already.

Last edited:
Interesting lack of consistency. My Pono, which I got from a seller in the marketplace, was originally bought from HMS, and the saddle was not radiused until I radiused it myself ever so slightly. Before, it was easier to fingerpick, but the first string had very uncomfortably high action for my left hand fingers. So it was a trade-off after I first did it. But good in the long run.

Incidentally, this instrument's saddle was also in need of compensation, which I did as well. I'm surprised they let an instrument go out that didn't have comfortable 1st string action or play in tune on all strings, but I've not seen (or noticed) many factory made instruments that had compensated saddles, save for the Romero Creations ones.

bratsche

That is interesting about the saddle not being radiused on your Pono. I have owned 2, Simon owned 3 and Brenda owned 1. These were all made 2-3 years ago, I wonder if they made a change in production. It makes absolutely no sense to put a straight saddle on a radius fretboard......as you found out.

I just looked at the pictures of all the Pono pro classic tenors on the Ukulele Site. They all appear to have a radiused saddle. Very strange.

Last edited:
Top Bottom