NUD: Cocobolo Concert #382

YogiTom

Reaction score
Well, I posted about this recently, but here is a quick recap.

I entered the lotto for this and a couple others in one of the weekly drawings Kevin puts on. Two days later, my wife and I had a heart-to-heart about this UAS thing I’ve got and I agreed not to buy any more ukuleles. The lotto winners were announced, I didn’t win, and I promptly forgot all about it given the aforementioned conversation with my better half.

About a week after the drawing ended, I got an email from Kevin saying the original winner of #382 wasn’t able to/didn’t want to finalize payment, so it was going to the runner up, namely me!

Well, suffice it to say, this fell into the “I’ll never get this chance again” justification, and I spent a good chunk of yesterday asking forgiveness when the ukulele arrived.

Thankfully, I’ve been able to persuade my wife that each ukulele fills a different niche. Regretfully, she still thinks I can thin the herd even more.

That said, this is a keeper for life. I even am able to look past the dog-ears! It is a stunning instrument to behold and to hold. And according to Kevin, it is one of only ~10 teak concerts that they’ve made so far. Super neat/nerdy detail in my book. :)

Sound sample/review later today after my giddiness dies down a bit.

Well, we all forgive you, and I think your wife will understand, since this sounds like a ukulele you're really going to enjoy.
Looking forward to the review and sound sample. Enjoy!

Nice. Looking forward to hearing the teak.

Sound sample and review, as promised!

As with most of these videos I’ve done, I don’t have the patience to do more than a couple takes before picking the best one, so please excuse my buzzy playing and my mind that decides to improvise singing when I don’t always remember the words...:shaka:

Well, we all forgive you, and I think your wife will understand, since this sounds like a ukulele you're really going to enjoy.
Looking forward to the review and sound sample. Enjoy!

Appreciate the understanding. If ever there was a community that would support these perhaps rash purchase decisions, this is it! :p

I can really, really empathize.

The teak is very attractive. It sounds very nice as well. Congratulations.

I can really, really empathize.

The teak is very attractive. It sounds very nice as well. Congratulations.

Thanks! I love teak. Right up there with koa for me in terms of beauty, and so cool to know it makes for good tonewood, too!

Here are a few photos. Benny is a very large cat, and really puts the uke in scale. And then I thought a shot of it on our teak flooring would be fun, too. :)

35761AAD-3D34-4E12-A594-7A8F3BD08FF9.jpg
34E21D40-79C2-477B-9EAB-3EA0CD33718E.jpg

These also demonstrate how dramatically the wood color changes in different light. Same room, just closed the curtains for the floor shot.

Wow, very striking looking uke, Jeff.
I think they've made the teak wood sound just like cocobolo.
What did you mean by dog ears?

I don't blame you for buying it....I think it's great.

I Know the only way I'll ever give up my Cocobolo Ukulele is by dying!

What did you mean by dog ears?

The tuning machines. I much prefer the look of UPTs/friction pegs on anything under tenor size.

But that’s a suuuuper nitpicking thing to me and my tastes.

And to your last point, Viva Cocobolo! :)

Thanks! I love teak. Right up there with koa for me in terms of beauty, and so cool to know it makes for good tonewood, too!

Here are a few photos. Benny is a very large cat, and really puts the uke in scale. And then I thought a shot of it on our teak flooring would be fun, too. :)

View attachment 119004
View attachment 119005

These also demonstrate how dramatically the wood color changes in different light. Same room, just closed the curtains for the floor shot.

Beautiful ukulele. I love the stripes. I've always enjoyed seeing the variations in Kevin's ukes. They are all so unique.

Now, let's talk about Cat-zilla. Benny makes your concert uke look like a sopranino. Beautiful uke & beautiful cat.

Beautiful ukulele. I love the stripes. I've always enjoyed seeing the variations in Kevin's ukes. They are all so unique.

Now, let's talk about Cat-zilla. Benny makes your concert uke look like a sopranino. Beautiful uke & beautiful cat.

Haha! I had the same thought! Looks like a pocket uke! :biglaugh:

We often joke that he’ll make a great rug someday. Benny is a big ol’ bundle of love and fur, and is one of the funniest cats I’ve met. He insists he is a lap cat, and will take any few square inches of space to lay down on that he can.

Since he’s a sweetheart, we nicknamed him Fluffer-Nutter, after the peanut butter/marshmallow whip sandwich. :p

His sister, Pepper, is more skittish and “normal” cat size.

Last bit of info, they were named “Lolli” and “Pop” when we adopted them...thankfully they never responded to those...

Some more shots for perspective:
0374974E-5D0B-4D6E-B531-D742981BEF76.jpg
A67169BE-DE75-446A-B367-09F1D83CBF0C.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Maine Coon cat once that was fluffy & big like that. Not quite that big though, but about 3/4 that size. Great cat. We named him Max, until we found out he was a Maxine.

I have been tempted to sign up for the Cocobollo news letter, but I'm afraid to go down that road.

Gorgeous ukulele! Congratulations!!!!

Now repeat after me, "I can quit collecting ukuleles anytime I want to."

Gorgeous ukulele! Congratulations!!!!

Now repeat after me, "I can quit collecting ukuleles anytime I want to."

Admitting we’re powerless over buying ukuleles and that our collections have become unmanageable is the first step of recovery, right? ;)

Wow, that is a special ukulele. I can see why you had to get that one.
I like your cat, too. The mastiff of the cat world?

Rescue groups have told me that they run out of names, so I understand why they come up with goofy names.
You earned your cocobolo ukulele for adopting the cats. :)

Wow, that is a special ukulele. I can see why you had to get that one.
I like your cat, too. The mastiff of the cat world?

Rescue groups have told me that they run out of names, so I understand why they come up with goofy names.
You earned your cocobolo ukulele for adopting the cats. :)

Aw, thank you for the kind words. And I’m sure it was something like that with their original names. Something cute the older volunteers came up with.

I like living in a world where the ukulele gods may smile on animal adoption. Thanks for the idea. :)

I had a Maine Coon cat once that was fluffy & big like that. Not quite that big though, but about 3/4 that size. Great cat. We named him Max, until we found out he was a Maxine.

I have been tempted to sign up for the Cocobollo news letter, but I'm afraid to go down that road.

The newsletter/lottery is dangerous, for sure. I was very careful to only enter the lotteries of ukuleles I knew I would love, like this one.

We’re still not sure how these two were litter-mates, but I guess cat litters can have multiple fathers, so not a huge stretch. He is legit bigger than any house cat I’ve ever met, at least ones that have a BMI less than 100.

I suppose signing up for the newsletter "just to look," would be a huge rationalization :D

Top Bottom