Season 383: Summer Rites

Tootler

Reaction score
The title of this season is a pun as I want you to write a song or tune about summer.

Rather than an intro video, I've put my own contribution in the second post in this thread.

To give you some choice, you can:
a) Write a complete original song, words and music or
b) Write an original tune to existing words or
c) Write new words for an existing tune or
d) If you don't feel confident writing words or music, fit a different tune to an existing song. However, I really would prefer you to take up the challenge of creating something original of your own.

Whichever option you go for, your song must reference summer either in the title and/or the lyrics.

The usual rules and guidelines apply

* The recording must be new and made for this week.
* Ukulele must be a prominent feature though other instruments are also welcome.
* State somewhere that your video is for Season 383
* Plugging in, multi tracking, ovrdubbing etc. are all welcome
* Start and finsh times as usual, 8 days starting midnight Hawaii on Sunday morning and ending Midnight Hawaii the following Saturday night.
* Most importantly, this is about fun so enjoy yourselves.

Playlist

I will comment on individual songs on You Tube and add periodic summaries in the thread.

Last edited:
Here's an original Summer Song from me. Early posting is hosts privilege. Remember don't post yours until after Midnight, Saturday Hawaii time.

Lyrics & Chords

Summer Song
Geoff Walker

[Em]Midday [Am]sun high in the [D]sky
[G]Tells me [Am]solstice [D]time is [Em]nigh
[Em]Leaves and [Am]blossom bursting [D]forth
[G]Birds have [Am]made the [D]long trip [Em]north
[Em]Cats are [D]lazing [G]in the [D]sun
[Em]Others, [D]lively, madly run
[G]Long light [D]evenings [Em]bright and [G]clear
[Em]Cricket [D]on the [Em]green; Summer [D]time is [Em]here

[Em]It’s an [Am]Easy time of [D]year
[G]Long hot [Am]days so [D]bright and [Em]clear
[Em]Spending [Am]days down at the [D]beach
[G]Children [Am]paddling [D]in the [Em]sea
[Em]Fish and [D]chips in [G]paper [D]fan
[Em]Ice cream [D]cornets from a van
[G]Long light [D]evenings [Em]spent out[G]side
[Em]Cool, re[D]freshing [Em]drink; Lazy [D]summer [Em]tide

[Em]Summer; [Am]trees and fields are [D]green
[G]Mowing [Am]hay for [D]winter [G]feed
[Em]Dog star [Am]rising with the [D]sun
[G]Brings the [Am]sultry [D]weather [Em]on
[Em]Mighty [D]clouds are [G]piling [D]high
[Em]Thunder and [D]lightning fills the sky
[G]Storm is [D]passing, [Em]fresher [G]day
[Em]Shorter [D]days are [Em]here; Autumn's [D]on its [Em]way

Last edited:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i wish i had swung by the anticipation thread and said i thought you might give us a summer solstice-y theme! it's so easy to say now, and so impossible to prove!!!!!!!! great theme! :rock:

for anyone new to songwriting, i remember berni gave us a songwriting theme one time, and he had some super top tips for getting going with songwriting - i never can find that post though when i go looking for it - berni if you read this, please give us a little run down of your top tips for starting songwriting!

i do remember one thing he said was take the chords for an existing song that you like, and put your own lyrics over it - there is no copyright on chord progressions - you could join the trillion gazillion people who use the classic Am F C G progression! or pick literally a couple of chords that sound nice together and weave a little song over the top. lyrically you can have alot of repeats in the song, and that combined with liberal use of a favourite phrase like "yeah baby" can mean you only need to find another half dozen words, and you're away! :cool:

croaky keith has done some fabulous homemade songs with a great talk-y vocal over a chord pattern - keith do have any top tips to share here for budding songwriters?

This is a great idea for a theme Geoff. I hope, and I’m looking forward to people who have never written a song before, or may have written one in the far past, to do so this week. The satisfaction you get from composing something, making something up that is yours and yours alone, bringing that into the world, well, you can’t beat it I think. I am not particularly prolific a songwriter, but my tip is, pick up your uke and make something up on the spot. Record yourself so you can’t add, Take bits out as you think fit. Once you do that, as far as I’m concerned you’re a songwriter. Don’t fret about it’s not clever or original enough. Don’t be put off listening to the great Seasonistas songwriters, thinking, I can’t do that. You can, you really can. Keep it simple is a good starting point, but enjoy it. Enjoy playing with words. It’s great fun. Once you’ve written one, you’ll long to write another, and so it goes. :D

croaky keith has done some fabulous homemade songs with a great talk-y vocal over a chord pattern - keith do have any top tips to share here for budding songwriters?

Well, I'm flattered that you think me worthy when drawing on someone to explain anything to do with the uke & song writing, there are many greats on here way better than me, Pabrizzer(Brian), Jon, & Bernie, for instance.

All I do is expand on a thought that comes to mind, write down a few words, or a phrase, then play with it a little until it sort of works, then find a couple of chords that you like the sound of, & play around with it till it sounds reasonable, then just record & post it.

I can't sing, so have my own 'style' of bringing the end result. ;)

By the way, it was on one of Jon's Seasons that got me doing it, & my first attempt was truly terrible, but appreciated for having given it a go - so do give it a try, it can be fun. :)

Anyone watching the cricket?
What cricket Pa? Loads of matches have been rained off....but that’s the British weather for you :D. It’s on Sky anyway, I don’t watch enough telly to justify a subscription :(. If I did it would only be for NRL mostly.

What cricket Pa? Loads of matches have been rained off....but that’s the British weather for you :D. It’s on Sky anyway, I don’t watch enough telly to justify a subscription :(. If I did it would only be for NRL mostly.

India vs Pakistan in the world cup at Old Trafford Manchester.....on free to air TV here - I also won't pay to watch TV.
I hope Pakistan wins probably only because India beat Australia....

India vs Pakistan in the world cup at Old Trafford Manchester.....on free to air TV here - I also won't pay to watch TV.
Rain stopped play (surprise surprise!) , but looks like India ftw. Due to start again soon I believe. Used to watch plenty of cricket when test matches and county cricket were on terrestrial, back in the days when the Aussies and Windies regularly used to beat us :)

The only idea I have been looking at for a summer themed song, is a translation of a song from english to danish. Probably not the most interesting listen for someone who doesnt speak danish, but otherwise I am out of ideas.
Lets see if I even have time for it this week. There is a big deadline at work.

The only idea I have been looking at for a summer themed song, is a translation of a song from english to danish. Probably not the most interesting listen for someone who doesnt speak danish, but otherwise I am out of ideas.
Lets see if I even have time for it this week. There is a big deadline at work.

I didn't put a somg limit on because I don't expect huge numbers of entries. I've no doubt I'll get a shed load from you Lynda but if you could restrain yourself to one a day....

Ticket prices for the glamour matches like this one were pretty high too. Anything involving England, Australia, or India meant paying about £100 for a decent seat. A group of us are going to Headingley to see West Indies v. Afghanistan, which was considerably cheaper!

Ticket prices for the glamour matches like this one were pretty high too. Anything involving England, Australia, or India meant paying about £100 for a decent seat. A group of us are going to Headingley to see West Indies v. Afghanistan, which was considerably cheaper!
Nice one Steve. Judging by the great atmosphere at these games so far, from what I’ve seen, you should be in for a treat. Take your brolly and a flask of warm tea though, JIC :cool:

I have absolutely nothing to add about the cricket! A bit of a challenge this week, Geoff, but I have got a sort of an idea. Unfortunately, I managed to slosh tea all over my one fully-functioning Chromebook this morning and it is no longer functioning at all. I have two others ... this one, which is incredibly slow and has lost half its keyboard and another which, inexplicably, has completely lost its audio. Hope to be with you later in the week if the new Chromebook arrives in time.

Top Bottom