Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Season 383: Summer Rites

Perfect timing to ask for an original. Although you'll recognize the tune easily enough (a protest song seemed the obvious choice to use for an opinion essay) and these are not entirely my own words, I did have an original thought earlier in the week and it has lead to this.

As some of you know, I am a teacher of English as a second language. Lately, I've been very interested in the large community out there of people who need help with one of my specialties, the IELTS test - something non-native speakers need to take in many cases if they want to work or study in abroad. Nominally, I havee a professional essay correction service going on. If you're curious my site is IELTStemple.blogspot.com ..

Anyways, the idea that came to me was an analogy of the similar structures of an essay and a song. Essays have a thesis. Songs are in a key. Paragraphs are like verses. People expect both good songs and essays to have a natural progression - be it chords or ideas... See the full 12-minute explanation here.. and there's a 90 second version of it on the island.

The longer version includes breaking down how a Lightnin Hopkins song addresses a causes/solutions essay. This version has been edited for the Seasons..

Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

collab-ing with del on this one...

"summer dreams"

lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Didn't think i'd make it this week.No internet.But the blokes that cut my phone line came and fixed it this morning.So I whipped this up.
    Fans of obscure British comedy may detect a reference to Pete and Dud's - one leg too few.

It’s a law of nature
    A summer rite
    The bee must sting
    The shark must bite

Lucky ‘ol me
    I’m the chosen one
    Face full of hives
    Two legs minus one

Crimes of winter
    Will not be left unpaid
    All was seen
    By the butler and the maid

Now they’re in the business
    Of bleeding me dry
    A reverse transfusion
    Of who when and why

Here what I put together.
    I basically translated "Summertime into danish"
    Introducing my Kamaka Tiki Concert ukulele, with a bit of Koa Fluke overdub.

The title and lyrics tranlates back like this:

SUMMER CABIN

Summer cabin and life is simple
    The sun is shining and the hops are high
    Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
    So shut up stupid brat, quit whining

There will come a day when you are responsible
    and must pay for all you want
    but untill that day, you have no problems
    With dads and mums money, it will suffice
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbaroque View Post
    Didn't think i'd make it this week.No internet.But the blokes that cut my phone line came and fixed it this morning.So I whipped this up.
    Fans of obscure British comedy may detect a reference to Pete and Dud's - one leg too few.
    I frew 'er dan the stairs and frew a bucket o' wattaa on 'er an said get outta 'ere you 'ussey.
    Ah the wonderful days of ad lib comedy where Pete and Dud find it hard to contain their laughter.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Agreed, Rob! They don't make 'em like that any more!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Catching up with all your brilliant songs. Particularly satisfying is those who've given it a go for the first time.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Default A Bad Day In Summer (Marco original)

Geoff, you're an inspiration. I actually wrote this yesterday (on the solstice), but wanted to videotape it in the bright sunlight, so I waited until today. Thanks for pushing me to create new things; what fun.

Marco D

I'm caught up to here with listening. If I've not commented on your song or left it off the playlist, please PM me and let me know & I'll make sure I've added a comment and added it to the playlist.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Default Summer Rain

Hi folks,

Was working on this idea for a few weeks. Then Geoff’s theme pushed me to develop and finish it. And create better lyrics!

I have decided to go back to simpler recordings and videos and thereby get more videos done. At least I hope so.

Been sick and transitioning to a new home. Also have been having an affair with the six string siren for quite a while. But the Uke has won me back. 😊

I’ve heard some great original songs this week already, and hope to catch the rest soon.

Thanks for always leaving the door open and a light on.

Thread Information