Season 383: Summer Rites

I've had this song kicking around for ages, it's had 3 different tunes and quite a few lyrical tweaks. I finally finished it (unless I change my mind again) today so thanks for the nudge Geoff.
Summer is referenced in the lyrics and for any Bad Company fans who happen to listen, yes, that's where it probably came from :)

Geoff, since you always put the whole chord sheet on your songs, I thought I would do the same instead of only the lyrics.

(intro)
F Dm7 Gm7 C7
F Dm7 Gm7 C7

As [F]sweet and [Dm7]sour as [Gm7]lemon[C7]ade
[F]Bright as the [Dm7]sun and [Gm7]deep as the [C7]shade
[F]Sometimes [F7]she can be [Bb]quite the [Bbm7]pain
But I [F]love her, [Bbm7]she's my [C]summer [C+7]rain

(same chords)
She likes to go for walks when the moon is bright
Skipping down the road, she's a peculiar sight
Through the night I hear her singing aloud
She can't carry a tune, but she makes me proud

(bridge)
[F]She's as cool and sweet as [A7]summer rain
[D7]She makes me want to hear the thunder again
[G7]Her smile is like a lightning flash in the sky
When she [C7]pours down on me, she [C+7]makes me sigh

(whistle break with bridge chords)

(same chords as first stanza)
Her laughter falls like a soft morning mist
When she kisses me I know I've been kissed
Don't make her angry, don't make her cry
When you're caught in her storm, you'll understand why

(same chords as first stanza except as noted)
As sweet and sour as lemonade
Bright as the sun and deep as the shade
Sometimes she can be quite the pain
But I [F]love her, [Bbm7]she's my [C+7]summer [F]rain

Wow Alan! Great song.

I’ve written a song for this week called summer rain also. Different vibe though. Since titles can’t be copyrighted I guess I’m ok. ;)

It is nearly music Jim, but not as we know it. Will ye go lassie go to the Saint James Infirmary :)

Not everyone is enamoured of the summer, especially in a country like Catalunya where the temperatures often soar above 38º C (100ºF) from June to September.

Last summer I had a hell of a time sleeping and even heading North didn't help much... Who'd have imagined temperatures in the 90s in Edinburgh at 10pm?

Anyway, that was the inspiration for this song, as the milder June here starts to turn up the heat. No air-conditioned nights, just yet. But I am guessing they will not be far behind.

Swelter with me as you listen to:

Ahoy (I don't know why but every time I write 'ahoy' I hear Mr. Burns' voice from the Simpsons in my mind)
Anywho
Very interesting theme and I had a whole bunch of ideas. I am not much of a song writer but I am going to try. In the meantime then here is the last-ditch option
The progression and melody is inspired by Beck's 'Rowboat' and the words are Cypress Hill's 'Hits From The Bong'.

Last edited:
You are all amazing. We've got some super songwriters here.

Several of have shown you don't have to write a long complicated song for it to be effective. Pa has used the 12 bar blues format for one of his songs. It provides a useful framework if you are new to songwriting. Also look at Graham (Not another Linda) who has produced a very simple but effective song based on a few rhyming couplets and a I IV V progression. A little added flavour is a single line chorus which includes a minor chord to add some "spice"

If you are hesitating, why not dive in and give it a go.

I definitely do not fancy myself a songwriter, and everyone here is always encouraging, but with the high level of writers here, I feel like me doing originals is a folly. That said though, it is this weeks theme, and I had an idea today, and didn't try to over think it. I did it one take before I forgot it. lol

the lyrics of this song were co-written with my dad, and it mentions the family tortoise, michelle, who is a big fan of summer, as it's the only time she's awake!

carved tortoise and spoonelele made by my pal leigh

Writing songs in the 12 bar blues format is a bit like painting by numbers and calling it art but it is a recipe I use an awful lot....

Time is short this week, so Pa's recommended toolkit came in handy - inspired by our recent soggy fortnight in Cormwall.

Another song about not really liking summer all that much. I actually kind of hate summer. I guess it's fun when you can sit inside in the air conditioning all day long and only go outside when you want to, but if you have to spend your whole day working outside in the heat, it's a major pain.

intro
C7 F7 C7 F7

It don't [C7]matter how far from the [F7]door we park
[C7]As long as it's in the [F7]shade
If we could [C7]find one tree in this [F7]parking lot
[G7]You know we'd have it [F7]made

But there [C7]ain't nothing here but some [F7]scraggly ol' shrubs
'Cause they [C7]knocked all the big trees [F7]down
[C7]They had to make room for the [F7]super mart
When [G7]they expanded the town

So let's [F9]drive out to the [C7]country
Where the [F9]trees grow tall and [C7]deep