Season 383: Summer Rites

Original song written for your Season Geoff. A Postcard.
This song references Scarborough (Peasholm Park) and Whitby, the latter being famous for its Dracula connection, and in October, it’s Whitby Goth Weekend. Both seaside towns on the North York Moors (Well, Scarborough just outside the National Park area. Both lovely places, and then there’s the beautiful little fishing villages like Robin Hood’s Bay and Staithes. Very nice corner of the globe to visit.

Have another 'Daft Ditty'...... :music::nana::rofl:

EDIT: I put the words to paper, & then couldn't think what to do with it........so here it is, in all its (un)glory.

Last edited:
Lynda produced an excellent take on a wet British Summer. Here's my take on the same theme. Inspired by rainstorms when driving home over the Wolds after a playing day in East Yorkshire. (Burton Constable Hall for those that live in Yorkshire)

Hello, Geoff! From the land of waterlogged computers and lack of inspiration, I bring you a curious tale. Whilst researching a suitable topic for a song, Stonehenge seemed the obvious place to start and I came upon this very odd story, which I had never heard before. It requires a suspension of belief to accept that it might really have occurred, but there were actually two witnesses to the event - one a policeman and the other a farmer - and the names of the campers were known; not one of them was ever seen again! These two facts add a certain authenticity to the story. To write the music as well as the lyrics seemed a step too far at the moment, so I used the tune of "Sing a Song of Sixpence". (I think nursery rhyme tunes can often sound quite sinister!)

Last edited:
i have always longed for the sun
when February draws it's curtain
a sadness and sense of foreboding always wells up in me
an improvisation on baritone uke in open D

Geoff, I didn't know if I had one in me. The best I could do early on was take variations of existing lyrics from other summer songs and try to weave them into something OK.

And then I walked the dog on the Solstice, and it came to me. It could use a third verse, but after these two I had nothing, so I went with it. Feel free to expand if you dare ...

LYRICS:

The ancients praised the solstice
They found magic in the air
But I can see what’s ahead of me
And there’s little but despair

Cause the days are getting shorter
And the shadows soon will grow
Your vitamin D won’t come naturally
And we’re in for rain and snow

CHORUS
So you’ve enjoyed your early morns
With coffee … or a beer
But as the days start slipping away
It’s all downhill from here
Yes it’s all downhill from here

It’s all a part of nature
A normal cycle, nothing to fear
But whatever they say, just get me away
To the equator or someplace near

Because I love my sunlight
Though my skin is fair and pale
Cause its energy brings joy to me
And keeps me out of jail

CHORUS
It's all downhill from here

Last edited:
Perfect timing to ask for an original. Although you'll recognize the tune easily enough (a protest song seemed the obvious choice to use for an opinion essay) and these are not entirely my own words, I did have an original thought earlier in the week and it has lead to this.

As some of you know, I am a teacher of English as a second language. Lately, I've been very interested in the large community out there of people who need help with one of my specialties, the IELTS test - something non-native speakers need to take in many cases if they want to work or study in abroad. Nominally, I havee a professional essay correction service going on. If you're curious my site is IELTStemple.blogspot.com ..

Anyways, the idea that came to me was an analogy of the similar structures of an essay and a song. Essays have a thesis. Songs are in a key. Paragraphs are like verses. People expect both good songs and essays to have a natural progression - be it chords or ideas... See the full 12-minute explanation here.. and there's a 90 second version of it on the island.

The longer version includes breaking down how a Lightnin Hopkins song addresses a causes/solutions essay. This version has been edited for the Seasons..

Didn't think i'd make it this week.No internet.But the blokes that cut my phone line came and fixed it this morning.So I whipped this up.
Fans of obscure British comedy may detect a reference to Pete and Dud's - one leg too few.

It’s a law of nature
A summer rite
The bee must sting
The shark must bite

Lucky ‘ol me
I’m the chosen one
Face full of hives
Two legs minus one

Crimes of winter
Will not be left unpaid
All was seen
By the butler and the maid

Now they’re in the business
Of bleeding me dry
A reverse transfusion
Of who when and why

Here what I put together.
I basically translated "Summertime into danish"
Introducing my Kamaka Tiki Concert ukulele, with a bit of Koa Fluke overdub.

The title and lyrics tranlates back like this:

SUMMER CABIN

Summer cabin and life is simple
The sun is shining and the hops are high
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
So shut up stupid brat, quit whining

There will come a day when you are responsible
and must pay for all you want
but untill that day, you have no problems
With dads and mums money, it will suffice

Didn't think i'd make it this week.No internet.But the blokes that cut my phone line came and fixed it this morning.So I whipped this up.
Fans of obscure British comedy may detect a reference to Pete and Dud's - one leg too few.

I frew 'er dan the stairs and frew a bucket o' wattaa on 'er an said get outta 'ere you 'ussey.
Ah the wonderful days of ad lib comedy where Pete and Dud find it hard to contain their laughter.

Catching up with all your brilliant songs. Particularly satisfying is those who've given it a go for the first time.

I'm caught up to here with listening. If I've not commented on your song or left it off the playlist, please PM me and let me know & I'll make sure I've added a comment and added it to the playlist.

Summer Rain

Hi folks,

Was working on this idea for a few weeks. Then Geoff’s theme pushed me to develop and finish it. And create better lyrics!

I have decided to go back to simpler recordings and videos and thereby get more videos done. At least I hope so.

Been sick and transitioning to a new home. Also have been having an affair with the six string siren for quite a while. But the Uke has won me back. 😊

I’ve heard some great original songs this week already, and hope to catch the rest soon.

Thanks for always leaving the door open and a light on.

Top Bottom