Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unimpressed with new PONO cedar acacia tenor....

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    All the cedar topped instruments I've owned—and I have many—were loud and resonant. Not a one qualifies as muted. The Kremona Coco I bought last Fall has a cedar soundboard and darned if it ain't the loudest ukulele I've ever played at any price. If anything, cedar seems to play in faster than spruce but I love the different but equally pleasing tone of both types of soundboards.
    Agreed - my experience with cedar tops, though limited to maybe 5 examples, is that they are pretty loud and often sound pretty amazing. It's one of my favorite top woods.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I too, only tend to recommend what I have personal experience of, but would add that some people do like Pono - I personally don't, & can't see/hear what others do, in them, but I'm OK with my Opio & Ohana long neck concerts - each to their own.
    Yes to each his/her own. I have some really nice ukuleles and my favorite is an old Pono mahogany that I purchased used on Ebay years ago. My other tenor, a KoAloha is a prettier, lighter weight instrument with a beautiful voice but that Pono sings mellow.
    Kamaka (S) Gold Label, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T), Kala (B) Cedar top/Mahog laminate.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    All the cedar topped instruments I've owned—and I have many—were loud and resonant. Not a one qualifies as muted. The Kremona Coco I bought last Fall has a cedar soundboard and darned if it ain't the loudest ukulele I've ever played at any price. If anything, cedar seems to play in faster than spruce but I love the different but equally pleasing tone of both types of soundboards.
    That's why I bought a cedar top the for busking. Cedar and spruce seem to be louder to me. I think that is a consensus. But another thing, often times as you lower the action there is a point where you can lose volume and sustain. I had a solid mahogany that was set up by the seller and it was set up real low. It played great but I was getting nothing out of it when I played it outside. Someone suggested to raise the action up just a little. It made a noticeable difference. There is a balance between too high and too low.
    Last edited by Rllink; 06-17-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I can't figure out what Pono is thinking with those strings! I've had several and I absolutely HATE those cables. As far as sound, I think Pono TONE and TIMBRE are outstanding! As far as volume, they'll produce after time IF you lean into them. They're not cannons. To my mind that's Ohana territory, among production ukes. I will give Pono profs for build and "elegance". But, honestly I'm a Blackbird (EKOA) guy. They wrecked me for anything at or below their price range. But I don't buy for bling anymore I like lo-maintenance, bombproof cannons!

Quote Originally Posted by uketanzon View Post
    My personal lesson learned.....do not make recommendations to other people......they make backfire on you.
    I donít think you have anything to feel bad aboutóyour recommendations (the list seemed incomplete) seems solid to me, and the instrument that your friend purchased IS a quality, well respected instrument from a quality manufacturer.

Your friend also had access to The Ukulele Siteís online recordings where I think they have a video and audio recording for every instrument they sell (and those they no longer sell). Itís a pretty amazing set-up that Andrew has considering how laid back he seems to be.

I bought a Pono earlier on in my playing, a cedar as well, and just didnít bond with itóand it was (and still would be) my most expensive ukulele by far. I bought it from Dixie Ukuleles as they cleared stock...so bought it for a good value...and then sold it here on UU for a little less than I had bought it for (the clearance price was already a good 65% of original value).

There was nothing wrong with the ukulele...it was gorgeous and sounded very nice. Iíd also be willing to stick my neck out there a bit and say that the mid to higher priced Ponos are some of the best looking ukuleles in the mid-range market. They do a nice job. But I didnít bond with the ukulele and thatís okay. It was valuable enough that I didnít feel comfortable simply keeping it and not playing it.

It wasnít the cedar, either...I recently bought a Mainland Baritone (Cedar and Rosewood) and like it a lot.

So, your friend has a high quality instrument that can be used for generationsóand if they donít like it, they can return it (in the very near future) or sell it down the road. I donít think you have anything to feel bad about.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Pretty rough buying an instrument without first trying it out, but this seems lots more common with the uke than it does guitar.
    Geoff, since 1960.

I bought a Pono mahogany concert about a year ago and was very disappointed as I thought it sounded dead. I had tried it in the music store but when I got it home and compared it to my Opio Acacia tenor it sounded thin. I know, comparing apples to oranges and different price points. I swapped out the strings which improved the sound a lot but I still wasn't crazy about it. After playing it for a while now, I really think it has opened up and sounds much sweeter and fuller and I like it a lot.
    Shelley

Opio tenor
    Pono mahogany concert
    Outdoor tenor

If you recommend something or someone,
    If it works well the person will take credit for their own genius in making the choice.
    If it doesn't, the person will always remember who made the referral.

ponos are known to be low in volume due to heavy bracing and thick finish. they are built like tank for sure almost same as Koolaus . wait isn't pono and koolau same company?

Thread Information