I did a dumb thing!

If you can't find a Gortex glove, lots of Nitril or latex gloves inside your rafting glove. With tape around the cuff. Should keep it relatively dry. Take a tube of antibiotic ointment and bandages for use at night. And some ibuprofen.

After it starts to heal, some anti-scaring cream helps as well. Plus exercises to keep it supple. (I did a hand sickle into the side of my index finger-to the bone-when I was in my teens. Only eight stitches.)

Best of luck with your trip. Sounds like you have a great group of friends. (Canasta?)

Hi Raftergirl

I hate to be negative but that really needs to be kept dry to heal. If it gets wet and splits open at a week it cant be sutured back together and you will be looking at skin grafts or prolonged dressings and a veerrrrry looooonnnnng recovery. If it were me, I would skip rafting for just one weekend.

PS - i strained the ligament in my index finger when learning to chuck. Took months to heal and i had to strum with my middle finger. Sounded great.

Yeah. My heart wants to go on the river, but my head knows the risks.

Right now it hurts a lot. My biggest concern is being able to bend it & how long to keep it splinted before I try to bend it. The ED doctor thought 2-3 days would be adequate. I want to keep the suture line intact, but I don’t want the knuckle joint to get too stiff.

Heal quickly and well!

When I was learning to play fiddle, I almost cut off my left forefinger with a chainsaw.
A while after that healed, I separated my right shoulder in a car wreck.
I decided I wasn't supposed to play fiddle.

Or mess with chainsaws. OR drive a car without a seat belt.

Ouch, RafterGirl, that's nasty. Do take care of it, and get better soon! On the bright side, at least it's not the fingertip!

When I was learning to play fiddle, I almost cut off my left forefinger with a chainsaw.
You're supposed to use a bow with a fiddle, not a chainsaw, silly! :biglaugh:

bratsche

I decided not to go rafting this weekend. I'll reschedule with friends for a later date once my finger heals up. I'm bummed, but I just discovered that there's a uke festival this weekend, so not a total loss.

Since I may have to do more thumb strumming for a little while while my right index finger heals, what kind of thumb picks have people used with a ukulele? Brands, materials, etc.? On a recent thread with Brittni Paiva playing, I see she uses a thumb pick. One of the acoustic guitar players at church always uses one.

Any recommendations?

I've bought a few thumb picks, but can't get on with them, they stick out the side, whilst I tend to pick at an angle with the tip of my thumb, &, for me, they are too long as well. You may or may not like them.

Thumb picks Always take a lot of time getting used to. On the positive side, now you have lots of time to try that.

Del Rey Always used worn down thumb picks, can't remember what brand (Golden Gate?), and has a fantastic 'alternating thumb' technique.

Don't thumb picks, as well as other picks, scratch and gouge up your fretboard and top?

Just askin'. I don't use them.

I'd like to avoid getting scratches from strumming with my nails, so I've put LCD protectors on some ukes. I've used the kind you get for cell phones, and there's no adhesive. They almost invisible on the uke, but they keep it from getting scratched. You can also buy decorative pick guards.

Depends on your technique. I've seen some players engrave pick lines across their soundboard on day one of ownership. Others go for decades without a nick. Albeit it would take massive determination to use a plastic pick to scratch an ebony or rosewood fingerboard...

Don't thumb picks, as well as other picks, scratch and gouge up your fretboard and top?

Just askin'. I don't use them.

Sounds like a thumb pick might not be the best alternative while my index finger heals. I have some felt picks that a friend gave me, but I’ve never used. I could try those between my thumb & middle finger. I tried strumming with my middle finger, but it’s awkward.

RafterGirl, go to any guitar store they will have hundreds of different picks. Give them a try, see which one fits your injury and style the best.

Leather is another material you might use. I don't use picks on ukes, but I made some thick leather picks out of the straps of some worn-out Birkenstock sandals to try out for special effects on my mandolas.

bratsche

Leather is another material you might use. I don't use picks on ukes, but I made some thick leather picks out of the straps of some worn-out Birkenstock sandals to try out for special effects on my mandolas.

bratsche
I was thinking about leather. I think I have an old leather belt around somewhere. As Bill1 points out, this is a good time to experiment.

Heal quickly!

Sorry, use the time to focus on your left hand technique. When you can't do the finger stuff, work on the brain stuff. It all adds up when you get back to 100%

Top Bottom