Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I did a dumb thing!

Default I did a dumb thing!

No sooner do I heal up from tendonitis surgery on my left wrist, then I go and injure my right strumming finger. I was moving my rafting gear into my garage yesterday evening in preparation for a river trip next weekend. I banged my right hand into the side of the raft trailer. I must have scraped against something sharp, but I didn't really feel it. Then I see blood dripping everywhere, and a a giant gash across my right index finger, across the knuckle and up the side of the finger. Big, nasty laceration. 14 stitches at the ER. I have to keep it dressed & splinted for a few days to avoid any stress on the stitches since they go across the bottom and side of the knuckle. It hurts like hell.

I think I can still strum with my thumb, once the pain dies down, so all is not lost. I'm just glad I did it yesterday & not the day before. My ukulele group played a community concert Friday evening.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Ouch! Perhaps you can play air ukulele? Hope you heal fast.
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany GCEA Aquila Lava
    Beaver Creek BCUKEFM-T Tenor Maple Flame gCEA D’addario Pro Arte
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert Mahogany gCEA Aquila SuperNylgut
    Beaver Creek BCUKE-S Soprano Mahogany gCEA D’addario Black Nylon
    Ohana PKC-25G Concert Mahogany Pineapple gCEA Aquila

CPM CT-Q2 chromatic clip on tuner
    Snark SN-4 tuner

I had a pointer finger problem too, and switched to a strum using middle, ring & pinkie, which was ok, and a bit of a different sound. Hoping for your speedy recovery.
    John

Yeouch! Wishing you a speedy and full recovery!
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Ouch! Get better soon!

Definitely wishing you a most speedy recovery. Just reading has me cringing and feeling pain. I strum with different fingers, typically not my thumb. I strum with a backwards flick with any the index or middle fingers or multiple fingers. I hope our suggestions help. I know you know this, please cooperate with your body to heal itself. Wishing you positive thoughts and prayers.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors

4 Sale: Pineapple - MP Cali, Tenor: Washburn, Luna Tattoo

Thank goodness it wasn’t your fretting hand! Hope you heal quickly.

I can sympathize with you...When I was a kid, just starting out on guitar, I got a 14 stitch wound that stretches from the tip of my left thumb across the pad nearly to the knuckle. It was a cut to the bone and my thumb has been scarred and has been a constant source of pain ever since. It has definitely affected the way I hold my stringed instruments to a great extent, basically all the time I’ve been playing them.

Hopefully, your wound won’t give you anywhere near so many problems.
    Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 06-16-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

I have always liked thumb strumming. I use my thumb primarily when doing chord melodies. I've taken a few baby steps into fingerpicking, but nothing serious. Using my thumb seems to give me more nuanced sounds. Not as much volume though, except on my LN soprano. That baby pretty much screams when strummed with my index finger.

I can definitely thumb strum now. The big bandage & finger splint are in the way, but it's doable.

My rafting friends are trying to figure out how to get me & my raft on the river next weekend, with me being a passenger instead of a rower. They've promised to set up my tent & haul my gear for me. It's a pretty tame stretch of river, so mostly sitting in camp playing music, playing canasta, and spending time with my good friends. We shall see how the next 2 days go. The ER doctor said if it was him, he'd find a way to keep the finger clean & dry, and still go on the river.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Best of luck with the trip and the strumming. I hope your injury heals up more quickly than expected.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope recovery is quick and that you have a great trip next weekend.

Thread Information