Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leftie Child: Teach Right-Handed or Flip the Uke & Play Upside Down?

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    I'm left-handed but learned to play guitar and violin at 10 years old right-handed and always felt it was an advantage since I had my most dexterous hand on the fingerboard. And fingerboard technique is by far the most demanding in terms of technique. I found the strumming and picking hand relatively easy compared to the fretting hand. Many years later I'm glad I choose to play right-handed as I can try and buy all the instruments I please!
    I am left-handed, and was taught to play guitar right-handed. I agree completely with the above statement.

I hope my friends here won't mind another perspective on the lefty-righty question. I'm now age 66, and first picked up the ukulele at age 12. I'm left-handed, and my natural inclination was to point the instrument with the headstock to my right and the bridge to my left (the thought of re-sequencing the strings never crossed my mind). I didn't really consider this as being "upside down". I just knew that the trick to making music on the thing was to press your fingers on the strings at the locations indicated by the black dots in the chord diagrams, and it just seemed comfortable to hold the uke so that I was fretting with my right hand and strumming with my left. It was kind of a non-issue, really, until one day when someone observed that I was playing "upside down and backwards!" But it has always been my experience that lefties don't necessarily view the world as a place oriented for righties; rather, we just take things as we find them, and go for it. That probably explains why, as a grade-schooler, I did perfectly fine with standard scissors and a standard school desk, but was totally thrown off when my seventh-grade teacher got me some left-handed scissors and a left-handed desk! I had long since adapted to the world as I found it, and I had never considered scissors or school desks to be problematic (they "were what they were", to use today's expression...) To this day, I play a standard-strung uke (and guitar) in the technically-upside-down position, and these instruments have been the joy of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    For what itís worth, Alex from Southern Ukulele Store and Chris Kamaka both seem to play just fine upside down.

https://youtu.be/dLKE1G1IKG8

https://youtu.be/j3SM-3fP9t0
    Yeah, I see what you are saying. I made my comment simply based on the fact that I can go into a guitar store and play a few chords upside down (holding a righty guitar in a left-handed position) just to hear the sound of and I hear a different sound when I do that. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I've just never been successful at it. Granted, I haven't put the time into learning how to do it either because I have a lefty guitar and my ukes are setup lefty.

Don't introduce this left-handed child to the piano. The poor wee mite would be at such a disadvantage.

John Colter.

My lefty student tearing it up in this Spring semester final recital (MUS 121Z 'Ukulele 1 class).

How does that cut-away help?

John Colter.

Wrong question - the question is "does it hinder"? Happily, no! Hendrix managed just fine restringing a righty, as did Kobain at times, no reason others shouldn't follow suit

Left handedness is all in the mind.

John Colter.

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Left handedness is all in the mind.

John Colter.
    Haha, no argument there!

If children/adults really want to go left or right then let them go rather than force anything on them. If right handed people want to flip a uke/guitar over then why not.

In principle I have trouble with the notion that the picking/strumming hand is the "lead" hand. The fretting hand literally leads and the picking hand follows as a note needs to be cleanly fretted moments before its hit.

At a really simple level its easier to start off when your fretting hand is just holding a simple chord shape and your trying to strum/pick evenly but the moment you get beyond that ukuleles/guitars are very ambidextrous. I think its just a chance happening of History that things are they way they are.

I guess I jumped in on the notion that left or right handedness might be holding a student back. At a very beginner level maybe it will temporarily yet considering that learning ukulele/guitar is a long journey I don't think a teacher should get concerned about left or right. Your teaching ambidextrous skills.

Thread Information