Thread: Greetings from Cape Cod

Default Greetings from Cape Cod

E02AE68A-C407-4D5A-86C7-38AB17A968BC.jpgGreetings: My name is Karl Hoyt. I'm a retired high school woodworking teacher who also taught guitar building to my students..... I've been building guitar family stringed instruments since 1978.

Recently I got stung by the Uke building bug after making a Soprano for a friend, and then (with their help) 4 more for my grandkids. Fun.

So I decided to join to be able to hear from uke devotees about your designs, build hints, etc.... looking through the luthiery pages, I'm already learning some here and there. I'm prepping up about 5 more as we speak. Mosty Concerts, but one soprano. I do have the luxury of a CNC so a tenor form is coming soon. I'm using the GAL plans for now until I get the feel for these instruments

Thanks! Many folks who read my posts in other forums find that they are great insomnia cures :-)

Karl Hoyt.
    Last edited by Karl Hoyt; 06-16-2019 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Old brain, fat fingers

Welcome Karl...I don’t have any woodworking skills so I must be content to purchase my ukes.....I’m gealous.

Welcome Karl. Obviously you know what you're doing, and even though I'm not a full fledged builder, I partially modify existing 3/4 electric guitars into bass ukes, I'm very envious of your CNC machine, I'm a gadget freak.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Hi Karl.

Welcome from the South Shore!!
    "Life is short. Opera is long."

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
    Hi Karl.

Welcome from the South Shore!!
    welcome indeed. I grew up in West Bridgewater, (went into Brockton to get in trouble and hang out at Central Music) .....

Thanks to the other respondents as well. I do have 'some' experience but I wouldn't say I know what I'm doing when it comes to these little instruments. I have already had some interactions with a few members of this group (in other forums and farcebag) ... and am currently prepping 5 instruments.

The CNC is nice. I learned how to use it when I was teaching, so when I retired, I sold my beloved 71 Norton commando and got just about enough funds to afford the CNC. I'm not a big fan of using it for 'soup to nuts' building of instruments, but it really is handy for prepping parts, cutting rosette channels , slotting fingerboards, amd making building molds.... don't tell my wife that you can make signs using the CNC an we'll get along fine ;-)

Welcome to UU Karl
    Happy to be an Intermediate Newbie, Penny

Hi Karl,
    Welcome from Cape Ann!

Welcome from central MA!
    John

Welcome, from also on the Cape! Are the concerts all spoken for? What general part of the Cape do you call home? I’m in the armpit, if you know what I mean.

Thread Information