Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martin Style 0 coming

Quote Originally Posted by teninobob View Post
    Man I wish I had the book
    I don't think TeninoBob will mind a bump:

"The book" is on a good sale for $18 at Amazon right now. (The price goes up and down, per Amazon's quirky pricing.
    Or, your local independent bookseller would love to order it for you. ) :

The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Guitar Giant https://www.amazon.com/dp/1476868794..._BcVbDbW7W7VSK
    Last edited by ukeinfused; 06-16-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype sop, Peter Howlett #153
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Weymann sop, 1918
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Laughlin 3K concert, 1999
    Sawchyn hog concert (semi-custom, Martin 0 copy)
    Kala Elite 1MHG concert
    Kala Elite 1MHG tenor SN
    Koaloha tenor
    Guild baritone, 1960's (trumpet buttons added, LOL)

Thanks �� I love amazon!!!!

I’m no expert but a question to ask is t style frets or bar style frets?

4635B56C-CDC0-45E2-8657-FE56F581A966.jpg

No that is a very good question probably the best one so far. Doing my research and this appearing to haven’t bar frets. Or I thought they were bar frets. It is so hard to tell I am going to look again with a magnifying glass and a blowtorch :-) thanks everybody please keep chiming in if you can help date this

OK after a flashlight and magnifying glass inspection it definitely has t bar frets. So with that in mind is this a 40s? 50s? Thanks everybody for chiming in with love to get this sold. I now need to change my eBay listing LOL

Quote Originally Posted by teninobob View Post
    OK after a flashlight and magnifying glass inspection it definitely has t bar frets. So with that in mind is this a 40s? 50s? Thanks everybody for chiming in with love to get this sold. I now need to change my eBay listing LOL
    Just terminology, but there’s no such thing as a “t bar” fret. They are either bar frets (straight steel bars all the way up, as in the diagram in post above) or T-frets, which look like a T. I think you’re saying they look like T frets. If so, according to the Martin Ukulele book page 132, the Style 0 first came out in 1922 with bar frets, and in 1947 “bar frets replaced by T-frets”. Pic of bar fret on top below, T-fret pic on bottom.

So, if it has T-frets with no Made in USA stamp inside, it is between 1947 and 1960, when the USA stamp was added. To get even closer on dating, a close up of the tuners would help, since in 1946 the Kluson keystone or tulip tuners were used till 1956 on Style 0 ukes, when they changed to Waverly tuners with white oval buttons. This assumes those are the original tuners, they could have been swapped out. If they are the Waverly tuners, that puts it between 1956 and 1960. Just my take, I could be wrong.

20190617_122726.jpg
    20190617_122747.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 06-17-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    To get even closer on dating, a close up of the tuners would help, since in 1946 the Kluson keystone or tulip tuners were used till 1956 on Style 0 ukes, when they changed to Waverly tuners with white oval buttons. This assumes those are the original tuners, they could have been swapped out. If they are the Waverly tuners, that puts it between 1956 and 1960. Just my take, I could be wrong. ...
    In the one pic when the post first went up, I couldn't even see if it had a decal or not ...with the added pics though, it looks like the oval white buttons on the tuners.
    Nice uke!

Wish I had the cheddar to buy it
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    In the one pic when the post first went up, I couldn't even see if it had a decal or not ...with the added pics though, it looks like the oval white buttons on the tuners.
    Nice uke!

Wish I had the cheddar to buy it
    Yes, I see the decal and white buttons, but thought the later 50s Waverlys on Style 0 ukes had the hex nuts on the front? Hard to tell from the pic, but doesn't look like it on that one.
    John

Oval white buttons Man those were good pictures of the fridge thank you so much, it definitely is the T-bar frets.

Thread Information