Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer ons

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try out a few things, and if all else fails, just pick the note instead of a hammer on. TobyDog's dog doesn't mind, but my dogs are critical of my playing. LOL.

I had started to learn this arrangement once before and quit because I couldn't do the hammer on. So, I've decided to play it now no matter how I get that note to play. It's such a beautiful arrangement of the song, (at least when Brittni plays it.)

I would agree that if you can't hammer on with the pinky to just pick it.

If you're not picky with the arrangement, I learned this one from Christopher Davis Shannon. It's a fairly easy chord melody version with picking in C. Just a thought.

https://www.thetinman.co/smile/smile...r-solo-ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by mikhou View Post
    I would agree that if you can't hammer on with the pinky to just pick it.

If you're not picky with the arrangement, I learned this one from Christopher Davis Shannon. It's a fairly easy chord melody version with picking in C. Just a thought.

https://www.thetinman.co/smile/smile...r-solo-ukulele
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.
    I love Brittni's arrangement, but if that doesn't work for me, I do want to learn some version of it, so will keep this one in mind.

I just watched the video and immediately understood why you had a problem.

You ain’t playing on a custom Kamaka HF-3D as she has. Now go get one.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    Here's a wonderful version where she picks the notes rather than using a hammer-on
    That sounds like a guitar. Beautiful playing.

Lots more about her -

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1920&bih=937
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHing View Post
    I just watched the video and immediately understood why you had a problem.

You ain’t playing on a custom Kamaka HF-3D as she has. Now go get one.
    Now there is a solution I like! Buy another ukulele!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    I have watched the video above and another one where Brittni plays the tune using a hammer on. In the other video she is plugged into an amplifier and the hammer on works very well. The hammer-on is a lot easier if you are plugged in.
    So perhaps Brittni plays an amplified and un-amplified version? And perhaps even Brittni has a problem with making a little finger hammer on loud enough when not plugged in?
    If you have access to an amp, you could listen to how your hammer-on goes when you are plugged in.
    Good point. Some things are probably easier when plugged in.

I don't have any electronics, so I think I'll just have to get it sounding good with picking the note vs. a hammer on. So, that's what I'll be working on for the next 20 years - trying to sound like Brittni unplugged. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    That sounds like a guitar. Beautiful playing.

Lots more about her -

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1920&bih=937
    I really like her playing.

I think she posted to UU tab for a version of The Christmas Song, ("chestnuts roasting on an open fire"), and I enjoy playing that year round, and I pretend that I sound as good as she does. LOL.

To play barre chords like this and use pinky for various effects is a great technique that can be applied to many songs, and it should be worth your while practicing this as a portable skill. It may help to practice this on a smaller uke with thinner or softer strings, and when you got it on that then move up to bigger size and/or heavier strings.

My thoughts were the same as Bill1—amplification makes a huge difference. My hammers sounded weak but after getting a pickup installed on my baritone, my hammers sound pretty dang cool. Pull offs, slides and string bending are now sounding like something. I just love it.

Thread Information