Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer ons

Quote Originally Posted by mikhou View Post
    I would agree that if you can't hammer on with the pinky to just pick it.

If you're not picky with the arrangement, I learned this one from Christopher Davis Shannon. It's a fairly easy chord melody version with picking in C. Just a thought.

https://www.thetinman.co/smile/smile...r-solo-ukulele
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.
    I love Brittni's arrangement, but if that doesn't work for me, I do want to learn some version of it, so will keep this one in mind.

I just watched the video and immediately understood why you had a problem.

You ain’t playing on a custom Kamaka HF-3D as she has. Now go get one.
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    Here's a wonderful version where she picks the notes rather than using a hammer-on
    That sounds like a guitar. Beautiful playing.

Lots more about her -

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1920&bih=937
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHing View Post
    I just watched the video and immediately understood why you had a problem.

You ain’t playing on a custom Kamaka HF-3D as she has. Now go get one.
    Now there is a solution I like! Buy another ukulele!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    I have watched the video above and another one where Brittni plays the tune using a hammer on. In the other video she is plugged into an amplifier and the hammer on works very well. The hammer-on is a lot easier if you are plugged in.
    So perhaps Brittni plays an amplified and un-amplified version? And perhaps even Brittni has a problem with making a little finger hammer on loud enough when not plugged in?
    If you have access to an amp, you could listen to how your hammer-on goes when you are plugged in.
    Good point. Some things are probably easier when plugged in.

I don't have any electronics, so I think I'll just have to get it sounding good with picking the note vs. a hammer on. So, that's what I'll be working on for the next 20 years - trying to sound like Brittni unplugged. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    That sounds like a guitar. Beautiful playing.

Lots more about her -

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1920&bih=937
    I really like her playing.

I think she posted to UU tab for a version of The Christmas Song, ("chestnuts roasting on an open fire"), and I enjoy playing that year round, and I pretend that I sound as good as she does. LOL.

To play barre chords like this and use pinky for various effects is a great technique that can be applied to many songs, and it should be worth your while practicing this as a portable skill. It may help to practice this on a smaller uke with thinner or softer strings, and when you got it on that then move up to bigger size and/or heavier strings.

My thoughts were the same as Bill1—amplification makes a huge difference. My hammers sounded weak but after getting a pickup installed on my baritone, my hammers sound pretty dang cool. Pull offs, slides and string bending are now sounding like something. I just love it.

I play clawhammer style (which involves lots of HOs, POs, etc.). I was frustrated as well with the low audibility of these embellishments on most ukes -- turns out the small body size and relative thickness of wood (and often of the varnish as well) all combine to dampen these to the point of inaudibility.

I've tried a bunch of ukes to see which ones work best for this style of playing, and settled on the Romero Creations ST Concert with a spruce top. Really, it was the only one (of out DOZENS) that alloowed me to play embellishments easily and audibly. On most others, the note just disappeared or was so faint as to be useless...

So... I'd follow the recommendation here -- either pick the note or convert it to a slide...

Current Stable:

Soprano:
    Kala travel uke (spruce & mahogany) (KA-SSTU)
    Concert:
    Romero Creations ST Concert (Spruce & Mahogany)
    Gold Tone Banjo Ukulele (BU-1) - Open Back
    Tenor:
    Romero Creations Tiny Tenor (Spruce & Mahogany)
    Kala Spruce-Ovangkol (KA-ASOV-T)
    Blackbird Farallon (Tobacco Sunburst)

Banjos:
    Pisgah Dobson Rambler 12" pot

PM me if you'd like to be in touch...

Quote Originally Posted by neo1022 View Post
    I play clawhammer style (which involves lots of HOs, POs, etc.). I was frustrated as well with the low audibility of these embellishments on most ukes -- turns out the small body size and relative thickness of wood (and often of the varnish as well) all combine to dampen these to the point of inaudibility.

I've tried a bunch of ukes to see which ones work best for this style of playing, and settled on the Romero Creations ST Concert with a spruce top. Really, it was the only one (of out DOZENS) that alloowed me to play embellishments easily and audibly. On most others, the note just disappeared or was so faint as to be useless...

So... I'd follow the recommendation here -- either pick the note or convert it to a slide...
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me feel a little bit better that at least it's not just me that can't get it to sound the way I want (without electronics.) I think you're right - most ukuleles aren't going to allow the note to sound right.

If even Brittni picks the note when playing acoustic vs. plugged in, I guess I'll work on making that sound as good as possible, vs. doing the hammer on.

Thanks!

Thread Information