Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strap pins

Default Strap pins

I'll never understand why ukuleles come with no strap pin installed. While it is possible to strum open first position chords without a strap, any up the neck closed chords or chord melody playing is nearly impossible to play standing and holding the uke without a strap.

You got me.... I like it when second-hand ukes already have them..not that I mind fitting a uke with end pins and strap buttons, but I feel weird doing so with really nice ukes.
    My Kiwaya KTT-2K tenor and KTC-1 concert, for example, are both crying for straps but I can’t bring myself to drill them.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    I'll never understand why ukuleles come with no strap pin installed. While it is possible to strum open first position chords without a strap, any up the neck closed chords or chord melody playing is nearly impossible to play standing and holding the uke without a strap.
    Well to quote Tevye, "Tradition!"
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I have 'em on all my 'uku, not only for better fingerboard access, but also you can quickly play smaller percussion or reposition mics, etc., without dropping your instrument. But here in Hawaii most players shun straps but can play upper position solos and barré chords surprisingly well while trading off support duty between hands.

Funny, when standing, I like straps on the ukes, but not the mandolas, and mandolas are almost twice as heavy. Go figure.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

I’m actually okay without the strap pin preinstalled on the uke. Sometimes the pin has this slight corrosion or oxidation when the uke is stored for such a long period before it is bought by someone. I tend to over scrutinise my ukulele before buying it.
    I like strap pins but I also like having choices.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    Possessing a genetic disposition for clumsiness, all of my Ukes have had strap pins installed. They also all have pickups so the lower bout end is taken care of with the output jack. I prefer the actual strap pin to be located on the underside of neck joint. Not all neck designs lend themselves to this but I get as close as possible so gravity is playing a part in keeping the strap attached

Here's is a photo of where I had the pin attached on an old Mya Moe of mine:
    IMG_0147.jpg
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

I use strap pins also. Makes things easier, and I'm less likely to drop the ukulele by accident.

I don't have heel pins on all of my ukes, but I'd like to have a pin at the bass (butt) of my ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Customers have personal preferences for these things...
    Yes! I try to match the buttons to the uke - silver, gold, black, wood, etc. I have some quick release strap locks I want to try.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information