Are these Grover no. 92 Simplex Pegs?

Melodious Thunk

Reaction score
Howdy,

I am trying to date a uke that I just purchased. I don't have it in hand, but have some photos from the auction. I was wondering if the tuners in the photos are Grover no. 92 Simplex Pegs? Or, if not, does someone happen know what they are? I have to admit I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to friction tuners. The ukes that I currently own all have wooden pegs or Waverlys from the 1950's. Any info would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
06.JPG

Hello. It's hard to tell from your pictures but I think your tuners are Waverly No. 2014 hexnut tuners. According to "The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Guitar Giant" by Tom Walsh and John King, page 129, Martin started using the Waverly hexnut tuners with white buttons in 1948 for the Style 1, 2, and 3 ukes, and used the hexnut tuners with black buttons for a short time on Style 1 ukes. I have a Martin Style 0 uke with Grover No. 92 Simplex tuners, pictures attached. The last picture is taken from the Walsh-King book.IMG_0271.JPGIMG_0273.JPGIMG_0272.jpg

Top Bottom