Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solidbody Electric Ukulele? (Steel String)

Default Solidbody Electric Ukulele? (Steel String)

Hi,

Just wondering if there is much interest in the ukulele world for a Steel String Solidbody Electric Ukulele?

I've previously designed and built the Morande Instruments Electric Angell
    (Solidbody Electric Mandolin) and with little modification to its design I believe it'd make a sweet sounding and playing Electric Uke.

Am I crazy to do so?

Should I just do it?

Attached are some video clips to get an idea of what the current design sounds like.

56790871_660027397779551_4948331078415810560_o.jpg
    -Peter Morande
    Morande-Instruments.com
    P.Morande.Instruments@gmail.com
    -Guitars, Ukuleles, Mandolins -
    Hand-Crafted in Northfield, Vermont

That sounds great, plus, it looks really good too. Was sorely tempted to buy a solid Risa telecaster uke recently for an upcoming engagement, still want one, they look cool as ....., as does yours. But went in the end for an electro acoustic. But yeah, build them.....and they will come

As Nike says, "Just do it!"
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

There are numerous examples of solid body steel strung ukuleles on the market already from one offs to mass manufacture so your welcome to join them.
    I'm not quite sure what your asking though.
    I guess I'm sounding dismissive and I don't want to yet what do you want to do that's not out there in the market?
    There is a market out there for steel stung ukuleles although its not a huge market yet.

I own two of them already.

Quote Originally Posted by One Man And His Uke View Post
    That sounds great, plus, it looks really good too. Was sorely tempted to buy a solid Risa telecaster uke recently for an upcoming engagement, still want one, they look cool as ....., as does yours. But went in the end for an electro acoustic. But yeah, build them.....and they will come
    Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

Another way to go about it would be a chambered body with nylon strings and a piezo pickup.
    (Similar to the Godin MultiUke)
    -Peter Morande
    Morande-Instruments.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    As Nike says, "Just do it!"
    Also as Shia LaBeouf says:

-Peter Morande
    Morande-Instruments.com

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    There are numerous examples of solid body steel strung ukuleles on the market already from one offs to mass manufacture so your welcome to join them.
    I'm not quite sure what your asking though.
    I guess I'm sounding dismissive and I don't want to yet what do you want to do that's not out there in the market?
    There is a market out there for steel stung ukuleles although its not a huge market yet.

I own two of them already.
    Thanks for the response, you're not sounding dismissive to me.

I was just wondering if there was much demand for them I guess, I've only ever seen a couple of Steel String Solidbody Ukuleles in person and I was wondering if there is much of a demand for them.

What are things you like best about your two that you own?
    -Peter Morande
    Morande-Instruments.com

Quote Originally Posted by morande23 View Post
    Thanks for the response, you're not sounding dismissive to me.

I was just wondering if there was much demand for them I guess, I've only ever seen a couple of Steel String Solidbody Ukuleles in person and I was wondering if there is much of a demand for them.

What are things you like best about your two that you own?
    There are a number of steel string uke builders already.

There is Risa with a beautiful Les Paul style instrument.
    There is Jonathan Mann with some stunning instruments and he builds solid body steel strung Mandolins as well.
    There's Monkey Wrench, there's Clearwater/Vorson. More that escape me at the moment. Just remembered that there was a surf board style instrument as well from a big maker.

I have a solid body steel concert from Jupitercreek yet the gentleman that made them passed away. I also have an Aida steel strung which is a just like the Kamoa Evole yet its a hollow body jazz style instrument.

I like them for being able to get different sounds and great electric/effects sounds when I want them. There unfortunately is no standard for electric pickups for these instruments so either you use guitar pickups and space for guitar or you use blade pickups. Also you could go for yet another proprietary pickup but I don't see the point.

Using standard size guitar pickups is the most sensible approach yet it has some drawbacks.
    Jonathan Mann uses blade pickups and a custom made bridge on his very nice instruments.
    http://www.manndolins.com
    Last edited by anthonyg; 06-19-2019 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    There are a number of steel string uke builders already.

There is Risa with a beautiful Les Paul style instrument.
    There is Jonathan Mann with some stunning instruments and he builds solid body steel strung Mandolins as well.
    There's Monkey Wrench, there's Clearwater/Tenton. More that escape me at the moment. Just remembered that there was a surf board style instrument as well from a big maker.

I have a solid body steel concert from Jupitercreek yet the gentleman that made them passed away. I also have an Aida steel strung which is a just like the Kamoa Evole yet its a hollow body jazz style instrument.

I like them for being able to get different sounds and great electric/effects sounds when I want them. There unfortunately is no standard for electric pickups for these instruments so either you use guitar pickups and space for guitar or you use blade pickups. Also you could go for yet another proprietary pickup but I don't see the point.

Using standard size guitar pickups is the most sensible approach yet it has some drawbacks.
    Jonathan Mann uses blade pickups and a custom made bridge on his very nice instruments.
    http://www.manndolins.com
    Thanks for your insight.

I do know of Jonathan Mann's work but wasn't aware of the others you had listed, I'll have to check them out.

As for pickups I do like the blade pickups I used for my Electric Angell Model (Solidbody Electric Mandolin):

Seymour Duncan Hot Rails - Neck (Warm / fat / smooth, I found it compliments the Vintage Rails used for the bridge pickup)

Semour Duncan Vintage Rails - Bridge (Added a bit of sparkle to the tone / bright single coil sound / cuts out line noise)

I'm very tempted to try a hollow body build down the road, especially if I can set it up with flat wound strings.

Thanks again for the reply.
    -Peter Morande
    Morande-Instruments.com

If you intend to build some quality instruments somewhat like Jonathan Mann then I'm sure that you will find a market for them.

The Risa Les Paul model is a well regarded and high quality electric ukulele from a large company. It uses a proprietary pickup that's guitar spaced.
    There are some cheap mass market solid steel strung ukuleles from Vorson/Clearwater as well although they use cheap proprietary pickups that aren't that good and can't be changed.
    Last edited by anthonyg; 06-18-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Thread Information