Would you rather vintage or new?

As mentioned before, it's a combination features and price. While I like the ukes that I bought new, I really love the old ones I picked up used because they have features like koa fretboard and/or single piece koa tops and bodies that I could get at an affordable price. Plus they look smoothly nice and less edgy and glossy than new ones.

So, I’m not afraid of vintage, though I doubt I’d ever by any “museum” pieces. But some of them Martin “players” are great!

I have had a few vintage instruments over the years. I will say that they have had some of the best sound, voice and projection of any instruments I have owned. I have not had any that are priceless museum pieces, nor would I want those. Nothing to be scared about or babied. Many of the old instruments have been around for years, have survived a lot, and will survive a lot more years.

Last edited:
I've got way too many ukes, but I have a semi-vintage Kamaka and a Moon Bird that tie for "favorite uke". The Moon Bird is...well its a Moon Bird, so it is awesome from sound, to tuners, intonation, action etc. The Kamaka is an Ohta San from around 2000, so not truly vintage, but it is older. Before I purchased it, it had been updated to Goto UTP tuners. It's a joy to hear and play, and it has a richenss to its sound not found in any of my new ukes. Now a really vintage uke, like an old Martin would be awesome, but I would be awfully afraid of damaging it! That said, next time I see a nice Martin tenor vintage uke come up for sale, I might just snag it! I really didnt get the whole instruments opening up with age thing until I heard some older ukes side by side with newer ones (an old 60s martin side by side with a new Martin). The difference was amazing. I've been tempted a few times by older Kamakas, but have yet to find one in good enough condition for the asking price. I dig the old Tikis, though.

I really didnt get the whole instruments opening up with age thing until I heard some older ukes side by side with newer ones (an old 60s martin side by side with a new Martin). The difference was amazing.
About old/vintage Martins. I have heard from good authority (a several generation music shop person) that the best Martin Sopranos were made after the Roaring 20s. In the early 30s they retained their best workers which were motivated to maintain the Martin name.

Totally depends upon condition and cost of the oldie ( uke not me ).

But only if I could inspect and play it before buying.

Bought and returned a few too many guitars to now be very wary of buying sight unseen.

The vast majority of the first 20 or so I owned were new. Then I got a better idea of how to look for slightly used non-vintage bargains (floor models, open box, etc.)

All of mine are meant to be played, so I have no interest in getting a museum exhibit.

I bought my first true vintage on eBay recently — a 1925-ish Maura Loa from Lyon & Healy. It needs a little humidifying and some glue, but it should be fine otherwise. If it is as good as I hope, I won’t feel the need to track down a vintage Martin or Gibson and will save some $$$.

I've never purchased a vintage uke.
I was given a 40 some year old uke that I never did warm up to.
It was quiet, and had no pickup.
I sold it, after cleaning it up and restringing it, gave it a new case, too.
I felt like it was just in my care for a little while.

I'm not looking for any vintage ukes, like others have said, I don't want to feel responsible for them.
I like breaking in a new instrument, then all the wear, scratches and scars are mine, but so also is the "opening up".

I love hearing how people have scored deals. I love hearing how people have rehabbed instruments and brought them back to life. Love seeing NUD posts.

I’ve looked at some eBay and reverb sites and checked out some vintage Martin ukes and vintage Kamaka ukes.

The prices for some of them are super expensive.

Would you rather spend your money on a vintage instrument that has seen a lot of life, may not be the most pretty or need additional repair? Or would you rather spend the same money (pristine instrument or instrument plus cost of repair) on a new instrument using the latest innovations and bracing, side ports, etc.

I can see arguments for both...

Just curious.

There’s something to be said about balancing need for variety, tone, blemishes, bling, playability relative to price. I have two beautiful new ukes of different tone woods and scale. These solved some of the need for variety with beautiful, blemish free playable art for $1K+. Then I thought I needed a “beater”...not just any, but one that sounded beautiful and was under $400. For this I went for a beat-up but repairable gold label Kamaka with repairs and tuner improvement, I ended up at around $500. Then, after randomly surfing the web, I suddenly had the opportunity to end up with an intact early Kamaka pineapple for $200. I’m still contemplating what to do with it, but it has intrinsic value to me as a way of showing how far ukuleles have come...especially when played after my Iriguchi. Basically, most of my desire is beautiful tone variety for a great price and I’m willing to let go of the need for bling, blemish free, and perfect feel (I target “good enough” in that Bb has to come pretty easily). Now on to my next acquisition which will hopefully be a concert sized spruce pineapple ... maybe a used Romeo Creations hmmm :confused:

Last edited:
The vintage martins I own have a unique sound. I have as light preference for the koa vintages over the mahogany. They do have a unique sound to my ears.

.....Many of the old instruments have been around for years, have survived a lot, and will survive a lot more years.
My Martin looks like somebody used it to learn juggling :rolleyes: but it’s solid, it’s an easy and fast player and it makes a wonderful noise.

Speaking of ... if anyone is interested in a mint condition 1925 Gibson soprano with gorgeous bling. High Strung Guitars and Violins in Durham, NC has one they’re selling for $500. I saw it last weekend when I met with the luthier. It’s a show-stopper.

http://www.highstrungdurham.com/

I have vintage or vintage reproductions and like them.All were bought from this forum sight unseen as players and did not cost a whole lot. All as described, I have never had a problem and disclosed cracks are easily repaired. I was never interested anything vintage except the Martins. I wanted the tone, and was never interested in nor able to afford pristine examples. That said, I have satisfied that urge and exploration of Martin tone. When the time comes, they will be passed along at reasonable prices to allow someone else to explore. Now I am way more interested in playing and learning to play music better. Occasionally the eyes stray back to the hunt for a uke, that I do not need or want, but enjoy looking for, a lingering vintage martin UAS, in my opinion, a hard wired "seeking high", originating in a primitive part of the brain. That gives me a laugh. These days, I look for value, which means good wood, reasonable price, and excellent sound, and handmade... from a new or lightly used. instrument.

I like modern tuners.
o.png

Last edited:
Everyone, stay away from vintage ukuleles at all costs....they are horrible, all cracked, none of the tuners work worth a damn, and anything other then Martin was pure junk. :rolleyes:

Or you can get a new one made from recycled wood, mines made from mahogany that was originally a fireplace circa 1950 :)

Is it sacrilegious to put modern UPT tuners on a vintage uke? (kind of like putting a MP3 radio in a classic car?) I guess it depends how pristine the vintage uke is and whether one is buying it to play or collect.

Top Bottom