OK to swap Kala round-wound strings for the elastic ones?

Tommy B

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if the Kala U-basses with the metal-wound strings can accommodate the regular Kala elastic strings. Is it a straight swap? And if so, what are folks' preferences on the elastic strings: Kala, Aquila, something else?

Thanks!

I have the Ka-Ubass-2-FS. I see it online with the black strings, so I’m assuming it can go either way. Would still welcome any suggestions on which strings to use. Are the Roadtoads good? Are there better options?

You can definitely change to the Pahoehoe strings, I prefer them over any other strings. I very much dislike the Kala round wound metal strings, which are way too prone to rattling and "farting" (as bass players describe). You may have to replace the nut since the Pahoehoe are fatter. In my experience, the Pahoehoe are the smoothest bass uke strings made, but they take much longer to settle in and can be a pain to install. Aquila Thundergut and Thunder Red get rough very quickly.

I just read about a new strings being made, but I can't find the link I used. I'll search it out and post it later.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

:agree: I really like the Pahoehoes on my fretless...

Thank you, Kohanmike! That’s very helpful. I had heard such good things about the round wound strings that I was kind of surprised that they seemed to rattle against the fretwires so much. I figured it was because I didn’t know how to play and had no technique (and that probably contributed a lot to the problem), but still, it seemed like a glaring issue. I’ll contact Kala regarding the possible need to swap the nut. If I do switch to the Pahoehoe strings, will there still be some fret rattle, do you think? Would I be better off with a fretless u-bass? Thanks again!

I just read about a new strings being made, but I can't find the link I used. I'll search it out and post it later.

The strings are Galli UXB810 black nylon coated synthetic core. I just ordered a set from Strings on Line for $28 delivered. Worth a try.

Thank you, Kohanmike! That’s very helpful. I had heard such good things about the round wound strings that I was kind of surprised that they seemed to rattle against the fretwires so much. I figured it was because I didn’t know how to play and had no technique (and that probably contributed a lot to the problem), but still, it seemed like a glaring issue. I’ll contact Kala regarding the possible need to swap the nut. If I do switch to the Pahoehoe strings, will there still be some fret rattle, do you think? Would I be better off with a fretless u-bass? Thanks again!
I have 7 bass ukes with Pahoehoe strings, 2 acoustic and 5 solid body, all fretted and none rattle at all. Only the round wound Kala did for me, as a matter of fact, the other bass player in my uke group used Pyramid round wound (which I'm sure Kala licensed) and they rattled too on his solid body fretted.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thanks again, Kohanmike! Looking forward to what you think of those new Galli strings. Very much appreciate the info on the fret rattle as well; guess I don’t have to go shopping for a fretless model. (Whew, gear acquisition syndrome was rearing its ugly head again.)

Thanks again, Kohanmike! Looking forward to what you think of those new Galli strings. Very much appreciate the info on the fret rattle as well; guess I don’t have to go shopping for a fretless model. (Whew, gear acquisition syndrome was rearing its ugly head again.)
Strings by Mail did not have the Galli strings in stock, which they did not show on the listing, I thought they were. I didn't pay attention to the order confirmation that showed back ordered in small letters. They sent me a notification today that they're on back order. It really felt like bait and switch to me so i cancelled. I should have realized something was fishy that their price was $23, when everyone else's is $32.

Top Bottom