Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oddball slanted uke

Ringlights are all the rage for video blogs on YouTube, especially makeup and beauty stuff. Back in the day they were much smaller—mounted on the camera lens—and mainly used for macro photography due to the soft, shadowless, wraparound lighting. Now the ring lights are huge and you mount the camera on the ring! People seem to like the donut catchlights but I'm not a fan. I prefer a big softbox.

I saw one 14 years ago made by Mike DaSilva at the Hayward Ukulele Festival. If I recall the head and body were slanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by PetalumaRescuke View Post
    I saw one 14 years ago made by Mike DaSilva at the Hayward Ukulele Festival. If I recall the head and body were slanted to.
    Mike DaSilva makes ring lights with slanted heads and bodies?

Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Bought one. Tenor. The videos sound like it wouldn't hold anyone back as far as tonality, volume or sustain. We'll see. I've got Farallons, which meet most of my needs, so this is just for fun, really. I'll give my best feedback after I've had time to try it out.

Fan fret, cool
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    I think a more playable approach would be a double nut like a baroque lute or some 10 and 11 string guitars: extended scale length for the bass but no wacky frets. This guitar has 5 nuts!

Interesting. I did notice that it looked like a 7 string guitar. The additional bass string on the guitar covers more range. It appears that the 4 separate bass strings might have been tuned to allow for occasionally playing open bass notes, at least on this piece.

John

I just received my Uma Pulse ST. It arrived, well-packed from Taiwan in about a week. NO issues. Since it's brand new, I'll wait until the newness subsides before issuing a final verdict. BUT so far my first impressions are VERY favorable. Spotless build, beautiful woods and finish, nut makes the strings ride a little higher than I like, Tone and intonation are all very good (possibly GREAT) very loud, sustain is good. Gig bag is only so-so (not a total cheapie, but no neck support-single chamber. BUMPS? sure. DROPS? uh-uh) So far totally worth the money. Fun to play. Fan frets take a little getting used to (not much) If you close your eyes, it's really not much different. The EKG fret markers are very cool and very visible. All the candy woods are awesome front and back. Real nice uke. More after a week or so!

UPDATE: Since the Pulse comes with a squeaky round wound low-G, and I was swapping that out anyway, I elected to try it with a Hi-G (which they generously provided in the case) It sounds and plays very well in Hi. For those looking at on-line pics, that headstock logo is inlaid (maple?) not a decal or paint. So far there is little doubt that this uke is worth every dime I paid. I'll report back when I've switched out the stock strings (D'Addario) with my favorites. These aren't bad but seem a little cool and stiff for my tastes. Many might think they are just fine.

I was surprised when I saw a uke like that, but they do exist - guitars, too. There's a legitimate reason for that tilt.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information