Oddball slanted uke

I have it. I've remarked on it earlier in this thread. Been about three weeks. LOVE IT. Well made-elegant bling- very nice tone and volume above average sustain. Great for the price. Worth more. Read earlier posts or feel free to PM

UPDATE: Okay, so now I've had it a month. Nothing negative to report. It seems to be getting slowly louder- not a lot, but it's noticeable and continues. Very good results so far.

When doing a Barre chord is your hand slanted in the direction of the frets?
Thanks

Well I suppose you could use it for lower tuning, but the typical intent is to make a multiscale instrument that has a longer scale length for the lower strings. Personally I can't hear the difference, but some experts will say they can hear a difference between short scale (24.75") and long scale (25.5") acoustic guitars, with the trebles of the shorter scale being better, and the bass of the longer scale being better. A multiscale design supposedly gives the best of both worlds.

But what I don't quite understand is that this would not seem to make sense with re-entrant tuning on a uke.
It is definitely designed for linear tuning. I have always heard this design called “fan frets”. The design has been around for ages among guitars though not very common. It would not work well for reentrant tuning.

It seems like there's an attitude against her videos here on UU, but Bernadette also showed this ukulele the other day. I'd love to play one, and I'd probably like playing one in front of others for the shock value. I am going to get the Ortega Hydra when they come on the market, for a similar reason. (Admittedly, the dual eight string and four string with a pick-up is a benefit).

I like Bernadette. She is good at what she does, which is primarily teaching beginners. What is wrong with that? We are all different people. Why not celebrate people for what they do well rather than dis someone we don’t find personally interesting or helpful. I teach beginners once a month. I wonder how many people dis me for that?

I think a more playable approach would be a double nut like a baroque lute or some 10 and 11 string guitars: extended scale length for the bass but no wacky frets. This guitar has 5 nuts!

Just wow. When he plucked the second string from the top it is so thick it looked all fuzzy from the vibration movement. I bet is feels great against the body while playing. I love the way a louder, more resonant uke feels against my body when playing,

I was wondering how he reaches the strings closest to his head. But now I’m thinking they are mostly played open, like those combo harp-guitars and harp-ukes. But someone as serious a player as he is probable does fret them and I probably sound like a fool right about now. A sophomore, or wise fool. Just enough knowledge to be dangerous or sound like I know what I am talking about.

It would be great to hear from someone who plays a multi-course instrument like that, including a harp uke. I’ll have to check the other fora for that.

Last edited:
The more I play this ukulele, the better I like it. I DO find it a little hard to barre at the FIRST fret (Db7). Everywhere else it's either not an issue or slightly easier. I lowered the saddle and slightly lowered the A at the nut. The fingerboard (on mine) actually has a guitar-style "relief" rather than the common dead-flat By my standards (which may or may not be "high" but are certainly well-schooled) these are excellent ukes. The tone is full and rich, clear (not the clearest but good) balanced and louder than average. My closest comparison would be a good Pono Pro Classic (minus the truss rod and radius (and COST) with a comparable finish, build and prettier bling. I would have preferred real wood bindings to the black (ABS?) but I would suspect the price point would move a LOT for that. The ABS (if that's what it is) IS less ding-prone. The solid Black Walnut is a great tonal choice for the back and sides, in combination with the Engelmann Spruce top the mix of bright and deep is difficult to quantify, but it's "different" in a good way. The tuners (Der Jung) are neither great nor junk-they work fine. The gig-bag SHOULD be better- Okay for bumps or dust- NOT okay for travel or strong impact. As far as cons: I really can't come up with too much. If your go-to uke is >$1000 this may not be your thing. But if you're looking for a mid-priced uke that punches and looks above its price, consider it. You will enjoy it.
If you like radiused fretboards, like the Pono ProClassics, all Enya ukes have a 12” radius. They have some very high end models, though I don’t know anyone who has one. I picked up an Enya Feather which retails in the $600 range. It soulds sweet, clean and clear like I like, but it is quieter than my other tenors. Those thin body Enya tenors use a single piece of wood for back and sides. The hollow space is routed out so the only glue joints are too to sides, and neck to body.

I like Bernadette. She is good at what she does, which is primarily teaching beginners. What is wrong with that? We are all different people. Why not celebrate people for what they do well rather than dis someone we don’t find personally interesting or helpful. I teach beginners once a month. I wonder how many people dis me for that?
I don't dislike Bernadette. I just don't relate to her teaching style. But that's okay, I don't relate to Aldrine Guerrero's style either. Both seem like nice people and they fill a niche. They just aren't right for me.

I don't dislike Bernadette. I just don't relate to her teaching style. But that's okay, I don't relate to Aldrine Guerrero's style either. Both seem like nice people and they fill a niche. They just aren't right for me.
That is a respectable POV. Truthfully, I don’t relate to her teaching style either. But when I review some of her content I have found the information she includes to be very thorough. In fact, though I have been teaching beginners for years (as an amatuer), i have “borrowed” concepts from her to include in my beginner lessons, and I have added some of her videos to some of my youtube playlists for new players.

Of course I don’t think everyone should relate to or like her teaching style. But I have never seen her do anything objectionable that would warrant discouraging people from watching her videos, or looking down at her as “less than” the person writing about her, or generally saying bad things about her. I’ve also heard from a lot of people who do like her videos and have learned from them, and that seems like a very good thing to me, since I work earnestly to see the ukulele community grow.

There are a lot of ukulele-related content makers in youtube and other places on the internet who I don’t enjoy watching. But I would never say something bad about them other than if they say something incorrect or do something that is harmful to other people.

If someone on here has seen Bernadette do something objectionable I would be very much interested in knowing about it, because I would feel obliged to remover her videos from my video lineup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom